Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

NEW! tiki mug shelf holds 9 big mugs

Pages: 1 32 replies

T

Hello tc, I made this shelf 2 weeks ago, then I saw keigs amazing shelves today and I feel
like a copy cat, I think we had immaculate similtaneous conceptions of tiki, or
something. Well, I was definitelly inspired by his father-in-law Bill. Keep up the
awesome work keigs!
Well, I was wondering if anyone wants to
stick it to ebay and buy this shelf from me now! You can think of it as supporting a
starving college tiki art student! (not actually starving, more like hungry). The wood is from an old palm tree planter that I found at a palm tree
farm overlooking the ocean in Ventura. The two tikis are Tangaroa and Hiva. After seeing
Gecko's gnarly carvings of Tangaroa, I just had to give it a try. Gecko, your stuff is a
sweeeet.
The shelf holds approximatelly 9 large mugs. The bamboo pitched roof and tiki torches can
be put on permanetally in any combo for buyer.
If no offers by Wed. my pops is going to post it on evil ebay.

$150 or best offer? Just email me with any
questions and you can pay by paypal with my pops account and have it hanging in your
place by next weekend!
-tOny dE TiKi

tiki, not geeky!

[ Edited by: tikitony on 2003-04-15 11:23 ]

Does this shelf suck? Am I excommunicated from other TCers, I feel like the red headed step child (no offence to any). I would appreciate any comments, the worse the better. Heres a link to the ebay page of the shelf.
-tOny

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3219414132

tikitony wrote:
Does this shelf suck? Am I excommunicated from other TCers...I would appreciate any comments, the worse the better.

TikiTony~

Most local TC'ers here in or near LA & Orange County, are either going to Mondo Tiki, Viva Las Vegas, Tahoe, Reno, Palm Springs, or just out with the family. In addition to that, just Spring Break itself has others spending money on the family by entertaining the kids/family while off of school. I believe possibly the marketing of this item just has the wrong timing for some people.

Other than that, you might want to change the title to "Witco Inspired" instead of Witco.

Try placing the shelf against a contrasting color, rather than a white or beige wall, so that it doesn't give the shelf a washed-out look.

Place some various size mugs on the shelf, so that the potential buyer can get a visual comparison to the actual size of the shelf.

...or just get a bikini clad cutie to pose with the shelf.

Just my 2 coconuts worth.

I'll Put In On My Schedule!

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-04-18 10:45 ]

I really appreciate those comments! Thankyou so much!
-tOny

G
GECKO posted on Sat, Apr 19, 2003 4:40 AM

Braddah Tony, dats a nice shelf bro. I Think like SCD sed, timing is off. I know I'm tryin to save my money for my trips coming in 2 months. Peopo are saving da money to hit "da show" "Mondo""hukilau" etc etc...
THEN, the rush will come.

Summer is just around da corner bro, peeps will come out of da cold to buy all kine tiki stuff! so If you don't sell it now you will in 2 to 3 months! so, be prepared for da demand.

I see u used Tangaroa as one of the post to hold up the shelf, nice.
Aloha

Well I like it! (My wife would probably kill me if I brought it home--she hasn't yet developed that taste for all things tiki, and cringes everytime the mailman drops a new box on our porch---but I definitely like it.) I would echo the above comments----I think there are alot of tiki events this week distracting the true believers, as well as the arrival of spring (finally!) pulling people away from their computers. Even if you don't get the price you'd like for this, I'm guessing you had alot of fun making it, and I would encourage you to keep at it.

T

tHanks Gecko and SufferingB.
Its hard at first when you put your stuff out there and there's no response, Gecko, I am truly inspired by your work. You seem to blend traditional with 'your style' so well that your stuff is untouchable. SufferingB, your right about that one, my girlfriend still isn't too sure about the tiki thing, she should have known when I got a chainsaw for xmas and collect wild bamboo from the river bottom and draw little tikis on the end of my chopstixs when we get sushi.
-tOny

G

little tikis on the end of the chopsticks!! FUNNY Funny TikiTony!! you really got da tiki feva braddah!

my wahine is the same when the mail is sitting on da porch and there is a box with my name on it. First thing she wen ask "ok, how much you wen spend dis time" just tell them "No Worries"! dis is fo'our collection.
den i get "wat eva local boy"

TikiTony, I like that shelf, it is really cool. Don't worry about doing something that is being done. People have the same ideas at the same time .It happens all the time, just do it and have fun. We'll have to hook up some time in the 805.

tHanks thechikitiki, 805's a must. I met ZZ Zachery last weekend and he was showing me some pictures of his stuff and you were in one of them. I recongnized you from posts from tiki events and he said "Yeah this is Kinky Tiki..." but then I corrected him. What a great guy, he was filled with so much enthusiasm. When he would get pumped on something, he would flex his right arm and get into a power stance then describe the way he puts the stain on, or something. THis guy is truley filled with the tiki vibe. Kind of funny how we met, I just got done teaching a surfing school at Mando's Cove (Ventura) and went walking through Rincon Gardens Palm tree farm, I was standing on a 20 ft Canary Island Palm that was like 3 ft thick when he cruised up on PCH with a truck load full of tikis. I thought I was in heaven, sufing, palm tree farm, then a guy rolls up with tikis. Here's his web site for anyone who hasn't seen his stuff, I think he's from Visalia but he cruises down south every weekend to sell tikis. He said a few actors have a tribe-load of his tikis from when he sells in Malibu. Gary Bussi(sp?) ? remember him from Big Wednesday? http://www.zaroga.com/newzaroga_003.htm
-tOny

tikitony wrote:
I met ZZ Zachery last weekend and he was showing me some pictures..and he said "Yeah this is Kinky Tiki..." but then I corrected him.

TikiTony~
"KinkyTiki" is actually correct. That's just what ChikiTiki's wife personally calls him. :lol:

T

SugarCadydaddy, too funny!

Whatchutalkin'bout Suga? I'm a saint. TikiTony, How you like that tikigraffit(sp) I left on that fat a$$ palm tree. I was testing how they carve cause I got an 8ft and 10ft log that fat up in SB.

T

Ah ha, so that was you! ZZ & I were wondering what that was all about. ZZ said he hollowed one of those out so it was movable, Are you going to claim that one? If not, my buddy has a beach house just a few houses away, so I might roll it down PCH to his house and carve it there. I'll probably cut it in half, though, and take the opposite end you started on...unless you want the whole thing...?
-tOny

Have at it Tony. Just a warning about the weight. Depending on how long it's been down. Tiki Trader gave me my two huge logs and they had been at his place for a few years. My cousin has a roofing co. and we used one of his huge tilt-bed trucks to move the logs. They made the front tires come off the ground! And this truck handles like six full pallets of material.

On 2003-04-22 23:01, thechikitiki wrote:
Whatchutalkin'bout Suga? I'm a saint. TikiTony, How you like that tikigraffit(sp) I left on that fat a$$ palm tree. I was testing how they carve cause I got an 8ft and 10ft log that fat up in SB.

thechikitiki are you carving in SB? I live in the Good Land and work down town. I've just reecently begun to keep my eyes open for logs. Have you noticed the fat one on the right hand side of the fwy after you pass Mission. It has got to weigh a ton!

Mahalo

KT

I live in L.A. but SB is my hometown. I will eventually carve in sb for a few days this summer, since I have some logs stashed there on Haley. I'll be in town on the weekend of may 24th at Carlito's. I have two cousins that play in Vientos del Sur. The conguero and the cajon player.Heard of them? 805ers let's hook up. Kreaky,are you carving now? Oh, and if you have ever been to the mission, my dad's picture (dressed in traditional padre garb) is up in one of the displays. No he wasn't a priest.... that I know of.Not that this tidbit has to do with anything tiki.

T

It only seems kinky the first time.

Trustar

Chikitiki, no I have not carved anything yet, but I did inherit a chain saw, and I am a bit of a forager/collector. I would be happy to keep my eye out for you, for Palm logs etc. By the way, I have a bunch of the Chilean Wine Palms sprouted from the seeds that I gathered from the palms across the street from the SB Mission. "I don't know if that is Tiki?" My kid's and I would love to see some carving. Keep me posted.

Cheers

KT
ps. I hope that you make it back permanently some day.

Thanks Kreaky, hope to see y'all soon. What part of SB do you live in?Me I have the bulk of the fam on the eastside, some on west(wife's) and even have an uncle in montecito. Look foward to visiting and the food. Woody's, mesa cafe, Rudy's, rusty's and drinks at Joe's. Soon a 300lbs chiki

Chiki, we live in Goleta. Have you ever been to Kahuna Grill in the El Camino Market Place? It's pretty cool, the do have a 4 ft tiki to greet customers, a nice tropical fish tank, and killer old surfing related items. The food is great too. By the way a buddy of mine ran into you yeaterday I think, in Hermosa. His name is Kent and after his world travels to Easter Island etc. he is just getting into the scene. Let me know when you are carving up here.

Mahalo,

KT

Cool Keaky, I didn't meet anyone yesterday, but am in Hermosa often.Small world , Huh?

I'll be carving some huge tikis there soon. let you know.

Chiki, I told the manager at Bahooka today "Pat" that there are guys like you around that like to carve at Tiki places. He seemed really interested. If you, or your buddies were into it, you would have to call and arrange it. I could help if you like. The Bahooka management are pretty much analog. They do not do email, or surf the net. I guess that is why they have not changed all of these years

Cheers,

Kreaky

T

hEy Kreaky Tiki & Chikki Tiki,
Where is this Bahooka and what kind of place is it (restaraunt,?) Chikki, have you ever sold near the peer in SB when they have those artist's booths set up on weekends? Also, have any of you been to the Mercury Lounge in Goleta? A girl who works there emailed me when she saw my "witco inspired" shelf on ebay to say her dad carved tikis in the 60's in San Diego and was interested in mo' tiki stuff by locals...but I don't have a lot of time for carving latelly because I'm in school full time in San Luis Obispo. So, if you're ever around SB selling this chick wanted to know where.
-tOny

Haven't made it to the drum circle area yet. but been planning on something out there soon. If this lady buys a tiki, I got a finders fee for you.

Bahooka is in Rosemead, basically in the middle of nowhere. I had to try and get there while working the Los Angeles area. It is a cool place, and get a good review in the Tiki Road Trip book. I believe that the management is open to suggestion when it comes to putting together any type of Tiki based events. They just do not know where to start.

I've never been to or seen the mercury lounge. I'll look for it and report back.

KT

Oh yeah, been to the bahooka, and the have some strong drinks! I thought I could have one and be ok, but had to order some food to kill the buzz. Nice folks there, but the bathroom needs tiki decor.Never been to the mercury loung either.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-04-26 22:35 ]

T

no finders fee needed, just a little mana blessing for my carving tools... Kinda off the subject, but have either of you scavengers been confronted when picking something up? Tonight I was at the Borders and I noticed their Queen Palms, some frawns were dead and hanging down so I thought I would pull one down to use the leaves for a grass skirt (for a tiki, not me) and this kid, younger than me who works in the coffee shop in Borders starts lecturing me about doing punk-type stuff by pulling the branch down. He caught me so off gaurd, that I just blankly straired at him. This dude took the tiki right out of me. He was lucky I wasn't some jock and wrapped the frawn around his... Well, I was so stupified that I didn't want to have to look at that palm frawn on one of my tikis and think of this "lecture-boy" so the frawn ended up right where he thought it was going to .. on the sidewalk. I still need closure.. Anyone?
-tOny

I'd just say f-ck him. Don't worry about it. As I've become older, I just brush things off. I am not going to let somebody I don't care about affect my life. Life is WAY too short. It is important to speak your mind and get things off your chest. Better out in the open that messing with your insides.

I think it's a damned fine shelf...if I do say so myself. Nice tikis in there, too. I've been hardcore riding around trying to find some merch to sell lately, so haven't been my usual obnoxiously talkative, lusty self lately.

I'dve just said "Take a hike, junior...Go play in the traffic". Then I'd have taken two fronds.

T

tHanks, Chiki & BasementKahuna, the tIkiness is already coming back to me. Good one, take two, yeah, I like that idea. tHanks for the props on the shelf too, your Marqueses pole looks awesome, and congrats on the Oceanic-Arts seal of approval!

Pages: 1 32 replies