Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Forbidden Island 4th Annual Parking Lot Sale - MAHALO!!

Pages: 1 2 86 replies

LOOKING FOR THAT SPECIAL SOMETHING TO BRIGHTEN UP YOUR HOME TIKI LOUNGE, SPACE AGE BACHELOR PAD, BACKYARD BBQ JUNGLE OR
PERSONAL RETRO OASIS?

...you're sure to find it at the
4TH ANNUAL FORBIDDEN ISLAND PARKING LOT SALE!
September 27, 2-7PM

Forbidden Island will once again host Northern California's largest sale
of collectible and vintage tiki, Hawaiiana, rockabilly, and mid-century
modern goods. The sale will feature an incredible selection of original
art, collectible mugs and decor, vintage aloha and rockabilly clothes,
vinyl, furniture, and much more. We'll also be offering drink specials
and a few surprises. Come early for the best selection- it's guaranteed
to be a sell-out event! Don't miss it!

IMPORTANT:
Vendors interested in participating should contact
[email protected]
IMMEDIATELY
as we have already sold over half the vendor spaces available. This is a huge event for NorthernCalifornia and our past vendors have reported fantastic results.

ALL THIS AND MUSIC!
DJ Tanoa will be entertaining during the day and in the evening,
attendees will be enchanted by sounds of live surf/exotica music
from the Lee Vilenksy Trio, 7 - 9 pm
http://www.myspace.com/leevilensky

Plus Notch's notorious Mai Tai Ku Bar and of course, the La Piñata Taco Truck!

General questions about the event can be directed to
[email protected]

[ Edited by: Molokai Mike 2009-09-29 10:23 ]

Shew! This went out with our mailing list today and I've literally got FOUR SPACES LEFT!!
Don't lag folks. If you wanna vend, let me know asap.

ALL SPOTS FILLED!!

Wow! This must be a record! What with a DJ, live music and our "new and improved" mailing list, this is gearing up to be the biggest and best FI Parking Lot sale to date! Thanks to all who rushed payment and made this happen. It's going to be a great event!!

Just out of curiousity, what size are the spaces and how much does it cost to vend?

PTD

O

I screwed up and got a 5'x10' under tent booth not realizing I have a commitment that day. I'd like to find someone who wants to share the booth with me and help me sell some paintings, which take up very little space, in exchange for them having the rest of the booth to themselves - no cost.

Oko

Classic Velvets
by Song Shen

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2009-08-27 08:18 ]

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2009-08-27 08:18 ]

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2009-08-27 11:45 ]

Hi Oko,

I have been waiting for Michael to write back about a vending spot but have not heard. I would be happy to share your spot & vend for you if I can't get a space.

Ron

On 2009-08-27 06:23, Psycho Tiki D wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what size are the spaces and how much does it cost to vend?

PTD

10' x 10' = 75 clams

Thanks Vic! Thayer too!

PTD

On 2009-08-27 17:25, bongofury wrote:
Hi Oko,

I have been waiting for Michael to write back about a vending spot but have not heard. I would be happy to share your spot & vend for you if I can't get a space.

Ron

That would be great you guys. The mastermind behind our incredible movie collection - which was duly noted in a recent SF Chronicle write up -not only vending dvd's but Song Shen's amazing velvets too (one of which hangs proudly at the bar)

I have to say, I don't spend enough time around the tiki crowd - so relaxed and helpful! Fab Gabs Vintage is thrilled to be on board.

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: fabgabsvintage 2009-08-29 19:09 ]

M

I just booked my airfare, so Taboo Island will be there!

Any recommendations on a hotel nearby? I'm looking at the Days Inn, seems like one of the closest...

http://www.tabooisland.com
http://tabooisland.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: Mo-Eye 2009-08-29 14:03 ]

Hey Mo-Eye,

Glad to have you aboard!

The Days Inn has some cool Googi architecture, but sadly, is pretty sketchy. I'd recommend the
Hawthorne Suites - really close to FI. Hotel of choice for Tiki Crawl.
Check out Mai Tai's post
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31707&forum=17&start=60&hilite=tiki%20crawl

A nicer hotel experience adn a little more spendy (I think) would be:

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
http://www.coralreefinn.com - (510) 545-4139

Marina Village Inn
http://www.marinavillageinn.com - (510) 523-9450

[ Edited by: surfalaia 2009-09-27 22:46 ]

I second the Marina Village Inn for it location & service.

Although The Coral Reef Inn are suites w/kitchenettes, so if you are extending your stay, or have special dietary needs, they'd be the best bet.

J

The Marina Village Inn is nice, however, if you happen to be 6'15" like Doug Horne, the beds may be too short for you! I know Doug ended up moving to the Coral Reef Inn from Marina Village to get a bed long enough for his giant-sized stature!

Hawthorne Suites is only a few years old and serves complimentary full breakfast (at least they did this summer. It also has a guest spa. We checked out the rooms and they were clean and comfortable. It's not luxury, but it's clean and comfortable. If you don't mind being on the main street of Webster I think it's the closest in terms of walking to FI.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2009-08-30 22:44 ]

B

can't wait!

Count me if, well.... if I'm not working that day.

As both an Alameda resident and FI's PR dude, I am personally anticipating this year's event because I will have convenient access to the wares of famous tiki artisans I normally only meet at huge far-flung shindigs like Tiki Oasis - including the likes of Doug Horne, Thor and Taboo Island. The roster seems especially exciting this year, though I've always found great stuff at FI's parking lot sales (Monica needs some new Tiki Goddess dresses from Retro Diva). It's also cool we've added a live exotica band indoors (the Lee Vilensky Trio) along with the always reliable DJ Tanoa. See ya there!

**If any other VENDOR has double booked, can't make it, or cares to share a spot - TIKI HUNTER has vended at every Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale to date but just missed the window on this one since we are also going out of business, (like several others I see posted now on TC) :cry: and I haven't been following TC as much as I used to!

I would be willing to share costs, pay for space, and or give you some Tiki swag in appreciation! :wink:

email me please!

Mahalo Plenty,
David Bennion
TIKI HUNTER**

M

Hey Dave, Hope you find some space to set up your cool stuff. See you at the Parking Lot sale, and glad to see you back on TC, you and Eva have been missed!
Woody

** Still no spot for the TIKI HUNTER! :cry:
We need to close out the last of our Tiki inventory and this would be the best place to say good bye!

Any one with space for even ONE TABLE it would be appreciated and compensated! :wink:

Mahalo Plenty,

Dave

email me **

S

Excited about the parking lot sale! Dr. TikiMojo, I hope you can find a way to squeeze in!

I'll have a few hair accessories there, in the Retro Diva booth.

So I've been inspired by my large collection of Hawaiian shirts that I don't wear because they don't fit me.

I started with this really great green one and ended up with these:

which I will have for sale at the FI Parking Lot Sale, along with several other patterns, for example:

They all have a shirt pocket detail on the front (some even sport the buttoned front seam!!)

a patch pocket

AND inset pocket

and snap closure.

Additionally, I'll have vintage Aloha wear and Mid-Century clothing from my personal collection, Tiki collectables, hair flowers, and more, that I need to find good homes for.

Make sure to tell me you're TC member and get 20% off of everything!

Mahalo!
~Thayer

ALOHA!

We are excited to announce the finalized, confirmed vendor lineup for our 2009 PL Sale, sure to be the biggest one yet - from local and world renowned artists personally selling their work, to vintage furniture and clothing,
to lots of Hawaiiana, LPs, DVDs, Tiki mugs and more.
Timeless coolness will be represented in every form.
If you can't find what you're looking for here, it probably doesn't exist!

The 2009 vendors are (drum-roll please):

Swamp Fire Lounge (Doug Horne): Limited edition mugs, Art, T-shirts, Jewelry
Taboo Island: tiki art, Tiki pendants.
Thor: art
Kevzo Art & Design: surf art, hawaiiana, barware, LPs
Mikel Parton: mugs and paintings
Sam The Tiki Seller: mugs, shirts, tikis, hawaiiana
Tiki Jungle: TIKIS, carvings, mugs, stuff
Lynn Peril/ Johnny Bartlett: vintage clothing, knicknaks and LPs
Retro at Home: mid century furniture
Retro Diva: vintage clothing
Pineapple Princess: children's clothing
Fuzzy Dude: knicknaks
Firetiki: mugs, LPs
Beebalalou (Jen Rowan): jewelry and accessories
Tobunga: tiki art, drawings, pendants
Haole'akamai and Tofu Joe: vintage clothing, purses, aprons
La Rosa Vintage: Vintage clothing
Kingstiedie: knicknaks, Hawaiiana
Bongofury: DVDs
Okolehao: velvet paintings
Notch: mugs
Fab Gabs Vintage (from Portland) : vintage clothing

AND!
Music from DJ Tanoa and
live exotica/surf by the Lee Vilenksy Trio, 7 - 9 pm.

PLUS!
Notch's Mai Tai Ku Bar and of course, the La Piñata Taco Truck!

[ Edited by: Molokai Mike 2009-09-09 14:13 ]

T

Aloha everybody!

I'm excited about participating in my 2nd Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale!

I'll be bringing some plush Tiki Bobs with me...

I sold out of all that I had made in time for TIki Oasis 9, but I've got bunch more ready for the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale!

I've changed the fabric, so it it closer to the color of the actual Tiki Bob mug, but the material remains the same:
Corduroy, flannel, button eyes and a bit of vinyl for the mouth.

The figures stand 10" high and are 4" in diameter.
Each figure has a tag that is signed and numbered (1/1) by me!

I'm working on some new stuff that will debut at the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale, I'll try to post here if I get a chance!

http://ericoctober.com

[ Edited by: tobunga 2009-09-10 19:10 ]

On 2009-09-10 19:06, tobunga wrote:

I'll be bringing some plush Tiki Bobs with me...

These were so f'ing cute at TO. Did you make those Tiki Bob Plushie slippers, too?

** BOOYA!!!
We're in babies! They managed to squeeze in a 4' x 5' spot next to the Taco Truck for me!
So come visit me while you're waiting in line for your food!
Can't wait to see all my Tiki Ohana....it's been awhile!

Dr.TikiMojo
TIKI HUNTER** :D

ATTENTION KILL DEVIL CLUB MEMBERS!

You and your special livers are getting VIP treatment at FI’s 4th annual parking lot sale!

Doors open to the general public at 2PM – but show up between 1:45 and 1:59 and you’ll be allowed into the bar, where you can hang out and have a cocktail in the “VIP lounge” until the back lot opens at 2PM sharp – giving you first dibs on the goods! Just identify yourself to the door guy (he’ll have a check list) when you arrive early.

I'm so excited to be apart of this years event! I've got some new watches I'm working on and other "goodies"!

http://www.happychijewelry.com

J

This is seriously awesome!!! Thanks Mike!

On 2009-09-16 10:04, Molokai Mike wrote:
ATTENTION KILL DEVIL CLUB MEMBERS!

You and your special livers are getting VIP treatment at FI’s 4th annual parking lot sale!

Doors open to the general public at 2PM – but show up between 1:45 and 1:59 and you’ll be allowed into the bar, where you can hang out and have a cocktail in the “VIP lounge” until the back lot opens at 2PM sharp – giving you first dibs on the goods! Just identify yourself to the door guy (he’ll have a check list) when you arrive early.

C
CP posted on Wed, Sep 16, 2009 10:13 PM

Photo op!!!

Hey, is anyone carpooling up from So Cal at all...? Lemme know if so!

I will have rare videos as seen at Forbidden Island and Frankies Tiki room with Hula girls, Tikis, Vintage surfing, interiors/exteriors of Don The Beachcomber/Trader Vic's (Waikiki), Pago Pago (Tuscon), The Tikis (Monterey Park),
Christian's Hut (Newport Beach), video music with Buddy Merrill, Martin Denny, Paul Page, Lani McIntyre, Hilo Hattie, and many more. Plus pufferfish lamps, Netted float lamps, and as much stuff as I can cram into my 5 X 10 booth.

Some floats can be seen here... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33507&forum=12&12

I will only bring a couple of Pufferfish lamps that are inside a netted float so if you want one PM me to be sure so I can make one for you.

I will also be representing Oklehao and his Song Shen black velvet paintings.

I have not been to the Bay area for 15 years so please stop by and introduce yourself. Looking forward to meeting you all and seeing Forbidden Island and hopefully Trader Vic's.

Aloha

bongofury it will be good to have you brah.
These palmwood Brothers of Moai will be at F.I.,.......I think.
and this four ft. blowgun monkey killer.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-09-24 19:22 ]

O

Got some Song Shen velvets showing up with Bongofury. A little bit of everything with most paintings in beautiful bamboo embossed dark wood frames.

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2009-09-20 07:13 ]

or if you can't afford a REAL Black Velvet we'll have some prints by GECKO's Uncle Leo of Hawaii for just $20 bucks a pop....in limited quantity! :wink:

I may bring a few mugs to sell also....I'm right across the way from ya Vic....no testing the blowgun!

On 2009-09-21 19:37, bongofury wrote:
I may bring a few mugs to sell also....I'm right across the way from ya Vic....no testing the blowgun!

Only on monkeys big brother.

ONLY 5 DAYS AWAY AND COUNTING! :D

Fab Gabs Vintage Co. is VERY excited to be a part of this event!

Stuffed into a very crowded 5x10 space will be a crowded rack of men's vintage aloha shirts, a rack of women's aloha dresses and vintage 40's/50's/early 60's rockabilly wear, a small rack of men's vintage 50s duds and some cool mid-century lamps too! Oh, and the shelf with some fun pieces of kitsch... you'll just have to wait until Sunday to see it all!

All men's aloha shirts - regardless of price - are buy 4 get 1 free! (Free shirt of equal or lesser value!) So come stock up at Fab Gabs!

There will be a few worthy reproductions in the mix, but 95% of the aloha shirts are authentic vintage, there's some fantastic pieces! Featured on the mannequins will be a 1938 Kamehameha Gauguin Wedding Set - XL shirt and stunning ladie's holomuu, provided by a local Bay Area collector.

[ Edited by: fabgabsvintage 2009-09-23 11:12 ]

Anybody heading to the sale that lives near or is driving past Tiki Farm? I need a favor and will make it worth your while.
Send me a PM.

3 DAYS TO GO!!

T

Can't wait for this weekend! I've been working on some new pieces that will debut at the Forbidden Island Parking Lot Sale...

I made a couple of larger plush Tiki Bobs. They're a little over 2 feet tall, and about 9" in diameter.

I also made a couple of Tiki Bob messenger bags.
Bags measure 10" x 15" and the face is a smaller pocket. The bags are made of corduroy, vinyl and Naugahyde.

And I made some framed maps made from vinyl, fuzzy car upholstery and Naugahyde. They are inspired by those vintage maps from travel agencies of south seas islands, and are all three dimensional and stuff!

L

Eric love all the Tiki Bob action but those maps came out awesome!

Cant wait to see it all in person!

Cool stuff Eric, love those Tiki Bobs!

Aloha and Howdy everyone!

Really looking forward to the sale this Sunday.

Some of the goodies I will be bringing to the show.

First up I have 3 of my 3D canvas prints, 16X20, edition of 100.

"Creature from the Isle of Pegan Delights"

"Atomic Rum a Revelation"
Tiki Magazine cover art, issue #3.

"Mysteries of the Moai"
Tiki Magazine cover art, current issue.

New edition of an original drawing I did.

"Exotic Nights" edition of only 25.
Tiki is based off of the tiki Danny (tiki diablo) carved for the L.A. Trader Vics.

"Diablo Tiki" wood carving, table top version, import.

Happy Monkey work shirt

Swamp Fire Lounge t-shirt no. 2

ORIGINALS

Original drawing, FI inspired.
Matted and framed, 16X20.
Untitled

Shrunken head original drawing.
"Still Kick'n"
Matted and framed, 11X14.

Lots of limited edition prints.
Including "Dawn of the un-dead tiki mug collector"

See ya on Sunday!!

WOW Doug!
Tiki Art
has
come
of
age.
So cool!

L

Doug I have always been a huge fan of artists who wrap their images around a canvas or make sure that the edges of the canvas lend some interest to the piece as a whole.

Really loved these when I first saw you had posted them on here and I cant wait to see them on Sunday. Glad you are bringing them.

Pages: 1 2 86 replies