Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Here's my entry into the Trader Vic Glass game

Pages: 1 7 replies

I've know about these mysterious glasses for months but just figured out what they were when I found a Trader Vic's 1947 menu... I found 4 of them. Thought I'd list one or two and see how they do. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2170430441&rd=1

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-04-14 21:02 ]

Congratulations on finding those, BK! What a nice score.

You can still order the drink at Trader Vic's and it still comes in shotgun-shell glass, but now I believe it's solid ceramic, instead of the nice glass ones you have.

Just last Thursday, in fact, I was sitting at the bar of Trader Vic's in Beverly Hills with Johnny Velour and Futura Girl, (I just love dropping names when the names are as cool as those), and Johnny ordered that very drink. Maybe he could confirm or deny the lack of glass in his mug.

Sabu

The Gun Club mug is all ceramic. It has the same shape as the glass but the color is an all green glaze. Good drink, too. It's my 2nd favorite at TV's.

A

Yes, along with JohnnyV, I can confirm that the Gun Club Punch-es served at the Emeryville, Beverly Hills, and Palo Alto locations are all in ceramic versions of that vessel. One of my favorite TVics drinks, and one of my favorite vessels! The glass one looks like a beaut too - I didn't know that existed.

I'm not sure, but somehow I thought the ceramic one comes in different colors. Maybe I'm mixing it up with a port light or something.

It was WeirdUncleTiki who pointed out to me that it's supposed to look like a bullet, and explained the significance with respect to the Hawaiian gun club. Actually, I forget the story though. That's what happens if you tell a good story to people who are drinking.

-Randy

Yeah.... I was very glad to get these. They're really the first of those upscale T.V.'s 1940's glasses I have yet come across. Just in time hopefully for my expensive Cabana matting purchase, if it does as well as some of those other hotshot glasses, which will complete the ceiling of the Kon Tiki Paradise Room. (I hope a few of the bigger players need one). Wish me luck, folks!

It was WeirdUncleTiki who pointed out to me that it's supposed to look like a bullet, and explained the significance with respect to the Hawaiian gun club. Actually, I forget the story though. That's what happens if you tell a good story to people who are drinking.
-Randy

Oh, yeah.... that's right! I had kinda forgotten about that. Well, that's what happens when a good story is told by someone who's drinking. May we have many more evenings of forgetting good stories!

-Weird Unc

Well...looks like 206.00 is the rate. Not too bad...no Voodoo Grog by any means but still not bad.

S

Looks like the first new mugs to show up are going high, and then people flood the market and they drop quickly. Gotta be first to hit Ebay with your "rare" mug.

Pages: 1 7 replies