Tiki Central / California Events

Hapa 9/19 OC

Pages: 1 13 replies

T

HAPA
Flights & Sounds of Summer
September 19, 2009, 8:00 PM
Free Admission, $8 Parking (Map)
Last summer’s HAPA concert at the Great Park was among our favorites; this year Barry Flanagan and Nathan Aweau are joined by traditional chant master Charles Ka’upu for an evening of Hawaiian bliss. Known as “the sound of Maui,” HAPA filters the pan-Polynesian traditions of Hawaii through the lens of contemporary acoustic music to create a sound that has kept them in demand on the festival circuit while earning them a record-breaking number of Na Hoku Hanohano (“Hawaiian Grammy”) Awards.

http://www.ocgp.org/events/page/2/

[ Edited by: tikihai 2009-08-28 16:10 ]

I

I'm There!

N

I saw HAPA in July ay Humphrey's in San Diego. They put on a great show. The were joined by Led Kaapana and John Cruz, who are excellent musicians in there own right. If you love Hawaiian music and have the chance to see them, do it.

This is close to me, I am there for sure .Any other OC Ohana going to this chime in,
perhaps we can pre-party some place.

We'll be there with a few Tiki Oasis friends. Look for the baby stroller decorated with a grass skirt and say Hello to us!

Chris and Audrey

T

On 2009-08-31 10:26, 1961surf wrote:

The place opens at 6pm and if you want to ride the balloon you need to register by 7pm or it is filled up. The balloon ride is free and goes up 400 ft with dramatic views of south OC. There is a converted hangar serving food and alcohol ($6 for beer $7 wine and $7.50 ballpark margaritas). I will probably tailgate a little before hand with my friends Tina and Ray, say 7pm or so if anyone wants to join in.

On 2009-09-01 11:51, tikihai wrote:

On 2009-08-31 10:26, 1961surf wrote:

The place opens at 6pm and if you want to ride the balloon you need to register by 7pm or it is filled up. The balloon ride is free and goes up 400 ft with dramatic views of south OC. There is a converted hangar serving food and alcohol ($6 for beer $7 wine and $7.50 ballpark margaritas). I will probably tailgate a little before hand with my friends Tina and Ray, say 7pm or so if anyone wants to join in.

this sounds good...pm me for sure.

T

Found out the hard way that the restaurant is VEGAN...which is like vegetarian on steroids...no milk, dairy products, meat, carbs or anything else that tastes good. I'm picking up something like carne asada tacos from El Toro beforehand. PM on the way 1961Surf

Tikihai-Are you talking El Toro Bravo on 19th St in Costa Mesa?
That place is great.I probably eat there twice a month .

T

Absolutely...El Toro Bravo on 19th right behind Smart and Final...Best tacos in SoCal IMHO. Cheep too.
I tried the Vegan stuff but my body won't operate properly.

You have good taste in cuisine.I love their food.Another place you want to try is
the Catalina fish kitchen in Costa Mesa.On Tuesdays or Thursday they have $2.00 ONO
tacos.If you order the Mango Salsa seasoning or the Cajun seasoning and get the barbecue
mango sauce on the side they are incredible.Should I bring any grog or beers to Hapa ?

T

On 2009-09-16 13:03, 1961surf wrote:
Should I bring any grog or beers to Hapa ?

It's up to you. They don't want any outside alcohol brought into the venue, thus the reason for a little tailgate action before. People have been bringing in discreet containers because no one checks. I will have a couple beforehand and maybe purchase a brew inside.

Look forward to this tonight .

My first time to see this band at this venue.This was a very cool event at the
old hangers out at Edwards Air Force base.Hot air ballon flying up every few
minutes on the side of the stage.

Pages: 1 13 replies