Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKIYAKI 2nd Semi-Annual Lodge Night and Swap Meet ! - OCT 10th @ Mayflower Club - FREE SHOT GLASS !

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

T

Aloha TC Ohana, BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND !

The 2nd Semi-annual MYSTIC ORDER OF TIKIYAKI LODGE MEETING and SWAP MEET with THE TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA !!!
Saturday, October 10th at THE MAYFLOWER CLUB in North Hollywood.
11110 Victory Blvd, North Hollywood, CA 91606
818 769 9805
(across from TARGET on Victory and Vineland)

ADMISSION $10
SWAP MEET STARTS at 7:00 PM
TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA STARTS at 9:00 PM
Vending will continue throughout the evening.

FREE SHOT GLASS WITH ADMISSION !!!

Free Limited Edition Mystic Order of Tikiyaki Shot Glass with event date with the price of admission to the first 120 people.

Design :

***** MYSTIC ORDER CARD HOLDER MEMBER BENEFITS !!! - Show your Mystic Order of Tikiyaki Membership card for early, 6:00 entry, so you can get first dibbs on the goods from the vendors *****
It pays to be a member of The Mystic Order of Tikiyaki.

We will also be swearing in new members, so come on down, get sworn in by grand Mystic Poobah Marty Lush, and get your membership card.

This will be a super fun night of Booze, Toonz and Tiki Stuff !

There will be a bar serving Mai Tais, Jungle Jetsetters and more, as well as a Snack Bar with pub food available .

ALL AGES ARE WELCOME

TIKI and POLY POP SWAP MEET !!!!

** VENDOR INFO : **

The first 12 people to send email get the slots. $30 cash due at setup. Send emails to [email protected].
No-shows will be hunted down by the Mystic Interrogator and sacrificed at the Secret Initiation Ceremony.

The Vending tables are 8'x4', and there will be a few 6' ones available as well.

There will be 12 spaces available.

Payment will be made day of the show - $30 cash.

Remember, New art or Vintage collectibles are welcome. , and we would like both represented.

Here's what the last Lodge Meeting looked like :

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=31311&forum=17&start=120&hilite=Mayflower

THE MAYFLOWER:

The Mayflower Club is a classic, old school British Social Club , similar to a Knights of Colombus Hall, or Elks Club. Yes, not at all Tiki,
but the place is a real step back in time , and the perfect place for "Lodge Night". They have a nice big stage, a bar, which will be making Mai Tais and possibly a few other Tiki drinks (from the Grog Log) and kitchen/snack bar making British snacks like "Bangers Sandwiches" (basically, the British Hot Dog) and other stuff.

From the website :

"The Mayflower Club is a British-American Social and Networking Club, that was founded in 1965 by Co-founders, Pat and Frank Jackson, Trustees, and Eileen & Tom Selby. The Club served as a gathering place for British expatriates living in the San Fernando Valley and surrounding area's, to meet and have fun in an atmosphere of friendship and mutual support. Nowadays, all others are Welcome. The predominantly English clientele of the early years has now evolved to include participants from many other cultural backgrounds, and those that simply enjoy good company and "things British".

http://mayflowerclub.com

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-09-27 09:59 ]

T

YAY!

Lodge nite is back!

Just emailed for a vending spot, hope I'm in!

OK, I hate to get all nitpiki and all and I tried to just let it go but... well, I just can't.

It looks like the last one of these was last March. March of this year, so I think that you don't mean Bi-annual, which means that you have it every two years. Having it twice a year I believe means that it is a semi-annual event.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drunken revelry.

K

No.. I think it bicentennial...

On 2009-08-30 22:42, PiPhiRho wrote:
OK, I hate to get all nitpiki and all and I tried to just let it go but... well, I just can't.

It looks like the last one of these was last March. March of this year, so I think that you don't mean Bi-annual, which means that you have it every two years. Having it twice a year I believe means that it is a semi-annual event.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled drunken revelry.

Thanx Paul...

SEMI annual !

Fixed !

OMG! Hells Yah! Do I have to run over hot coals to be a member? LOL! Can't wait for this event!

Aloha,

Chris

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Aug 31, 2009 7:02 AM

Wow! Semi-annual event? Hell yeah!

I'm in.

OK...7 spaces left....going fast.

I am at work with limited email access. I would like a vending spot if you can hold one for me. In the meantime I will try to send an email from my Government site. Mahalo

Ron

I'm happy that tikiyaki is playing at the Mayflower again, as I missed the last one, due to being at a Wedding.

oh and by the way, It will be my B-day that day.
:o

Jeff(btd)

p.s. I looked at this a few times.
and didn't notice anythign about buying tickets online.
we just show up and pay at the door?

Jeff(btd)

T

yea, Jeff, old school...just show up and pay at the door.

Cool...Tiki Birthday !

Yay. I am so happy I can't wait. I'm in!

T

Glad to see the official announcement, Jim! We'll be there to respectfully receive our membership cards and see you guys live...finally!

On 2009-08-31 13:51, tikiyaki wrote:
yea, Jeff, old school...just show up and pay at the door.

Cool...Tiki Birthday !

Jim,
thanks for the confirmation of that.
would hate to drive up there, and not get in.

Jeff(btd)

T

4 Vending spaces left.....

Come and get em'.

On 2009-08-31 13:05, bigtikidude wrote:
I'm happy that tikiyaki is playing at the Mayflower again, as I missed the last one, due to being at a Wedding.

oh and by the way, It will be my B-day that day.

Jeff(btd)

Cool Jeff Happy Birthday early! I would like to hear happy Birthday to you Tikiyaki style please! :music:

T

FREE MYSTIC ORDER OF TIKIYAKI SHOT GLASS WITH ADMISSION ! See first post.

J
JOBU posted on Thu, Sep 3, 2009 11:07 PM

On 2009-09-03 20:26, tikiyaki wrote:

You had me at Hello, Jim
You had me at Hello....

JOBU

T

On 2009-09-03 23:07, JOBU wrote:

On 2009-09-03 20:26, tikiyaki wrote:

You had me at Hello, Jim
You had me at Hello....

JOBU

Hee Hee....

I'm going to miss this AGAIN?!! I'm booked to photograph a big magic show that night. The Tiki gods are mocking me.

T

Thanx folks...all the vendor spaces are sold. I'll announce the list in a day or so.

Gonna be a great night.

OC folks.... 1961 Surf is considering getting a party bus together and making a trip from OC. It's fairly reasonable if you have a full bus, and you can drink on the bus too, and not worry about driving.

Just an idea. I know North Hollywood is a bit of a trek, especially with those Mai Tais they make at the mayflower, so this may be a fun option. We'll offer a discount admission to the bus goers should anyone decide to do a bus trip.

T

OK Folks, here's the vendor list for The Swap Meet. A nice mix of new art and vintage/collectibles.

KIRBY - Original Kirby Tikis, pendants, and paintings. Kirby did the fab pendant for the Tikiyaki Orchestra Jungle Jetpack.

BUZZY - Original Buzzy Tikis, and vintage collectibles. Buzzy did the Tikiyaki Drum replicated from the cover of our new CD.

FEZ-O-RAMA - Custom fezzes. A Must for a lodge meeting !

ERIC OCTOBER - All original, tiki art, crafts, and tiki cookies too !

TIKI G - Original paintings

BONGOFURY - Vintage Tiki/Hawaiiana Collectibles

OOKOO LADY - Vintage Tiki/Hawaiiana Collectibles

NELSON’S TIKI HUT - Handcrafted lamps, and other cool stuff.

HOTTIKI - Pendants and Plaques

MTKahuna - Vintage Tiki/Hawaiiana Collectibles

SKIPPER TRENT - Vintage Tiki/Hawaiiana Collectibles

GO TIKI - Awesome Tiki ceramics - mugs, lamps and more

Remember : Door for vendors open at 7:00, UNLESS you have a Mystic Order of Tikiyaki membership card, then you get in an hour early at 6:00 to get first dibs.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-09-09 14:28 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-09-09 14:54 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-09-10 20:51 ]

Disregard my email Jim! Maybe next time I'll open my eyes a little wider and read the WHOLE post! HAHAHA! Hey, I DID just wake up though, I was seeing through tiny slits! Thanks for having us! Can't wait!

Mandy & Chris

T

You're most welcome !

One last thing, and hopefully my eyes didn't scan right over my answer, but what time will vendor set up be?

I have been talking to Brooke at OC Cruisers to organize a shuttle to take people
from Orange County to North Hollywood to this fun event.There is a big possibility
that they are booked solid with no shuttles available, however I will know by today
if they can accommodate us .I would like to get a show of hands by chiming in on this
thread to see how many people would be interested in this.I will get back with you
on cost , meeting place etc .This will be really fun if I can get this booked.
BTW they do allow drinks, jugs, coolers etc on bus...so I am really trying to make
this happen for us.Check out their shuttles :

http://occruiser.com/chartered_OC_Cruisers.html

Hey '61 Surf,

Great idea! We'd be in for the shuttle (2 of us). Also trying to get in touch with our other OC friends, as I'm sure at least 2 of them would be interested too.

Thanks for looking into it!

Tiki Kitty (Deanna)

Ok this just in hot off the tiki presses.The shuttle company called me back this
afternoon and said they had one of the woodie buses available for the evening of
Oct 10th .I was stoked to get this great news.Here is how the pricing is laid out.
If we get 24 people it will be $25.00 per person w/ driver gratuity included.
If we get 20 people to go it will be $30 .00 per person with driver gratuity
included. I think this is very reasonable price , considering the price of gas ,
not having to drive, dealing with LA traffic, and you get to drink on board.
These shuttle woodies are new and equipped with 24" flat screen TV and DVD
player with a premium sound system.The interiors are finished in bamboo with
Hawaiian fabric seats.Plenty of room in the back for coolers, kegs , jungle
juice etc.This means non stop fun from OC to the front door step of the Lodge
in NOHO .The shuttle fee will be payable in advance to me in cash, before
getting on shuttle bus.Everyone will be given a wrist band or hand stamp.This
same stamp will allow you a discounted entrance into the Lodge for shuttle
passengers only.I will most likely have to reserve this on my Credit card , so
this is why it's payable in cash before we take off.We will set up a meeting
location where you can drop your car and board the shuttle bus.This will be in
a safe lite up area where your cars will be safe.Probably Costa Mesa or Newport
Beach will be the meet location.This sounds like a total blast to me guys
and gals . Call your friends and lets "Fill that Bus" .The sooner we get a head
count the better.Feel free to post or PM me any questions that may come up.
I look forward to meeting all you TC Ohana .It does not matter where you live,
everyone is welcome.Lets get ahead count so I can put together a name list print
out sheet
Aloha

Ummm...you had us at Jungle Juice. :wink: We'd be in for at least 4 at this point. Sounds purrrfect, 1961! If the pick-up point were to be located near some reasonable accomodations, even BETTER. We're in San Clemente, so we'll want to avoid driving home from there. There might be others in the same position, and perhaps if a few people book rooms, the hotel would provide safe and free parking for all shuttle-riders? Just a thought. I'd be happy to help with any planning for the event. Thanks again!

Mahalos TikiKitty .Welcome aboard.I think this will fill up quick .

bump

T

Aloha Tikiyaki Orchestra people & TC 'Ohana:

I've been asked to post examples of TikiG paintings here on TC - and during the past few days been asked to post examples of what I'll have in store the night of October 10th at my sales table.

Not being one to disappoint here's a teaser photo of a portion of works that will be offered up to YOU, the tiki/poly-pop audience, that night:

Some old, some new. Some in the planning stage today, others near completion to be unveiled at the Mayflower Club.

I'm looking at bringing approximately 40 pieces - in a variety of sizes. Prices range from $25 to $100. And yeah, I'm always happy to trade.

I will also bring vintage poly-pop things for my table too..a genuine plethora of objects to keep all browsers entertained.

ALSO NEWS FLASH!!- I will have TIKIMANGO hand-carved bone pennants available for purchase too! Exclusive at my table direct from Ray who now lives in Florida. I promise you will want to see these in person, hold one, try one on for size. One-of-a-kind mini masterpieces each and every one. I feel these will sell quickly so don't hesitate if you find one you adore.

Thanks Tikiyaki Orchestra :) Thanks TikiMango :) Thanks TC 'Ohana :)

See you at the swap at the Mayflower Club Saturday, October 10th.

[ Edited by: TikiG 2009-09-15 14:24 ]

S

Ditto on Ray's carved pendants - they are amazingly gorgeous. Don't miss a chance to get one!

Suzanne

I met some tiki people once. I had no idea it would lead to this.

[ Edited by: suzanne 2009-09-15 12:01 ]

I checked out one of the woodie cruisers today and WOW!These are perfect for cruising up to North Hollywood to see the Tikiyaki Orchestra.I may have to talk to Murph about using these for the Tiki home tour.I am stoked and can't wait for this show , half the fun is going to be the party on the way up.Who's in? We need 24 people to make this happen.

Check out these rides.

http://www.occruiser.com/chartered_OC_Cruisers.html

if you can pick me up in Anaheim,
hell I'll even meet you at the Euclid exit, just a bit past Disneyland.
I'd be in for a ride.

but I don't want to have to drive down to the beach, to ride it to North Hollywood,
understandable, I hope?

Jeff(btd)

Yeah Jeff everyone wants to be picked up by their house .That's why we are going to
have one central park your car and pick up spot .Lets see how it goes.You are on
the way up there if you were to picked up right off the frwy. it may work.
Let's see how things go.I am not opposed to that at all.

I think Don the Beachcomber's parking lot would be a good place to leave from..I'd be in for two people.

T

On 2009-09-16 16:00, Jason Wickedly wrote:
I think Don the Beachcomber's parking lot would be a good place to leave from..I'd be in for two people.

Be careful about that. They're starting to crack down on people parking there then going to taco Surf across the street, so they're starting to keep an eye out.

The shopping center just south of it, with the Starbucks may be a good spot.

That being said, it would be great to see a busload of OC Ohana coming up to the Mayflower. It really is a great place !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-09-16 17:30 ]

Now I kind of wish I didn't live so close to this event. The bus is going to be great! See you guys there!

On 2009-09-16 11:38, 1961surf wrote:
Yeah Jeff everyone wants to be picked up by their house .That's why we are going to
have one central park your car and pick up spot .Lets see how it goes.You are on
the way up there if you were to picked up right off the frwy. it may work.
Let's see how things go.I am not opposed to that at all.

Bill,
I was joking, not serious.
I don't want anybody to have to come and pick me up.
I will drive myself up there.

thanks though.
Jeff(btd)

After attending the first Tikiyaki event at the Lodge AND seeing/hearing about all the great vendors WooHooWahine and I are very bummed that we cannot attend! It is definitely a show NOT to be missed if you happen to be in or around Southern California that weekend! We will be there is spirit and of course, while the show is going on we will be listening to BOTH Tikiyaki Orchestra CD's on our honeymoon cruise around the Hawaiian Islands!!! :P Plus....We'll get our Tikiyaki Orchestra groove on the week before! :wink:

Not a bad reason to miss this....cruise around the Hawaiian Islands !
Shootz....No Moai Mafia protection.....I hope we don't have any "incidents"

couple weeks away.
can't wait.

I remember reading that they were at Tiki Oasis in a room party.
but for some reason its all kinda foggy on if I saw them or not.
Rum induced memory loss, I think.

Jeff(btd)

So heya... Brooke from OC Cruiser - the bus that we we will hopefully be providing for this fun night!

For all of you north county people, it WOULD be OK with us (IF it's ok with "1961") if we wanted to pick a spot to pop off the freeway to get those who'd like to go and not have to drive down south. I'm thinking somewhere near the Ball Rd. exit where we can just be quick on/off.
What do you think??
I also think Fashion Island or as you said, the shopping center across from Crystal Cove would be great. Let me know! :o)
Mahalo!!

I'm pretty late to the party on this, but "biannual" was actually correct.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/biannual

....Carry on. :)

Tiki Chick: A Tiki Noob's Travels

WOW....I WAS right after all :)

We will not be picking up in Anaheim unless it's on the way to the actual pick
up area which will be in Costa Mesa on Newport Blvd .So far I have a head count
of about 9-10 people , so lets get the word out there or we will lose this fun
opportunity to roll to North Hollywood lodge .

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies