Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Torches as Weapons

Pages: 1 16 replies

Aug 25, 2009

*A Providence man was arrested Sunday night after an altercation involving metal tiki torches at a home on Victoria Lane according to police.

Frank Aquiar, 47, of 966 Hope St., Providence, R.I., was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon after a domestic disturbance at 24 Victoria Lane.

After an investigation, police learned that Aquiar had allegedly gone to get some property from his former address but got into an argument with a male guest at the property.

According to a police press release, both men fought with tiki torches, which were in the yard. Blows were struck back and forth before Aquiar was taken into custody.

He was treated at the scene for head injuries and transported to Morton Hospital to be treated. Later, he was returned to police headquarters. He was released on $140 bail and appeared in Taunton District Court where he was released on personal recognizance. He will appear in court again Oct. 14. *

Priceless...

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Aug 31, 2009 3:31 PM

An idea for a future painting!?!! Thanks for the inspiration gentlemen!!

The Tiki torch is mightier than the sword........long may they burn.

B

Kinda reminds me of the homeless guys that would break off car antenae and grab garbage can lids in Occidental Park in Seattle, and have out-and-out "sword" fights! It was amusing until MY antenae became the weapon of choice!

Sounds like the beginning of a martial arts school based on the use of Polynesian Pop cultural implements; Tiki torches for long range, swizzle sticks and cocktail umbrellas for short range, etc. So many possibilities.

Everybody was tiki fightin'...and they was fast as lightnin'....

that's nothin.......try tiki torch jousting on bicycles after a few mai tais at your next luau......better yet, do it on big wheels!!..and yes, the torches must stay lit.....

.. for added danger and excitment, make a cardboard box into a cardboard car and wear it around your waist like a fred flintstone mobile..feet stickin out the bottom...as you and your opponent run past each other, try to set each others cars on fire with the torches ......first one to go up in flames is the loser...

My son and I did a firestaff exhibition a few years ago at a luau for some friends. We are both martial artists and incorporated some choreographed fighting with the flaming staffs. What a rush! :o

W

This sounded kinda familiar.

From my February 2003 one post wonder Tiki Paraphernalia as Weapons of Destruction...

Tonight's episode of the mostly lifeless new "Twilight Zone" (was) a remake of the original "Twilight Zone" episode "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street". The production limped along until it took a turn for the humorous during the final scene when the neighborhood descends on the new people's house in classic peasants-storming-the-castle style. What was funny was that among the "weapons" being waved in the air by the neighborhood (a crutch, a level, a hockey stick, etc) were several Tiki torches and a giant Tiki fork. The torches were actually used to set the house on fire (ooops- should have given a "Spoiler Alert"). The use of Tiki items for evil purposes could have been an attempt at depth (Wha-? Items of leisure used as items of hate? Wow.) but considering the overall blank quality of the episode I think it was just unintentional silliness.

Once again life imitates crappy TV.

M

Have you ever seen the movie Quest for Fire? Cavemen have been using tiki torches since the beginning of time, but these 2 guys sound like they are still in the process of evolving!

W

I seriously doubt cavemen made torches out of bamboo poles and woven bamboo baskets with refillable canister inserts.

Or did they? We all know they had killer fashion sense...

TG

The Tribe has spoken.

M

On 2009-09-03 16:45, woofmutt wrote:
I seriously doubt cavemen made torches out of bamboo poles and woven bamboo baskets with refillable canister inserts.

Or did they? We all know they had killer fashion sense...

Doubt if you will, but before your limited definition of what a tiki torch is, these furry ancestors of ours were roaming the planet showing up to toga parties with tiki torch in hand enabling them to roast a pig, which was actually the predecessor of the luau, ask Grog he was there. Come on people this is caveman 101!

M
mbonga posted on Wed, May 4, 2011 3:13 PM

Great article.

Maybe this will create a new form of martial art: tikido: "the way of the tiki". Leads to purification of the soul, spiritual enlightenment, and is excellent for practical self-defense.

W

You may have something there. Since "the tiki" could be any number of tikis I suggest this new martial art be based on Tiki, the style and life style.

Tikido. The way of Tiki.

The body, the mind, and the spirit enlightened by leisure.

He who practices Tikido can stun his enemy into submission with superior relaxation skills and a superbly crafted exotic drink. Or if that fails the enemy can be set on fire with 151 rum and a Tiki torch.

B

It appears Woof has neatly rounded-out this thread! Well done all who participated!

Pages: 1 16 replies