Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bamboo Torch Lamps - Electrical Question

Pages: 1 13 replies

I'm currently converting a set of bamboo torch lamps to hold flickering flame bulbs. I don't want to create any fire hazards so two questions:

1. I'm thinking of running small diameter pvc piping on the inside of the torch for the electrical wire. Anyone try this before? How hard is it to get it past each "rib" on the inside of the bamboo?

2. I want to "daisy-chain" the electricals on each torch so that I can have them all turn on/off with 1 switch. Anyone here have any experience splicing electrical? Is it just a matter of joining positive with positive and negative with negative using wire nuts? Or should I use a junction box?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-15 14:48 ]

Are these torches for indoor lighting?

I'd probably wire each one on a separate cord, and plug them all into a power strip, rather than daisy chain them. That way, you'll always have individual torches, and not be limited to a set that are all wired together, should you ever want to move or rearrange the layout.

As far as running the wire thru the poles, I would probably split the torches with a large blade knife, run the wire up one half, notching the knuckle joints as needed, and glue the halves back together. A little wood glue would hold the seam stronger than before it was split. And since it was split rather than cut, the seams will fit back together perfectly. You could always add decorative reinforcement rings to the poles too, with cane binding or woven edging like they have available at OA.

:tiki:

I made a set of these and I don't think the PVC is all that necessary. If the insulation on your wire is good, then there isn't anything to worry about. The ribs are a pain in the ass. I got a super long drill bit extension to drill through them.

The boys over at your local Home Depot or Ace Hardware could answer your question about the electric situation. My solution for what you are wanting to do was wire them all individually and use a surge protector to switch them all on/ off at the same time. If your torch placement is going to be perminent then your idea is the best. You never know when you are going to want to move them around.

Good luck Pop.

Pup, you beat me to the post.

The power strip solution crossed my mind but I was actually looking at running them all off of one switch that's similar to a lamp switch.

For example, if I (hypothetically) flanked a tiki bar with these torches and I wanted to hit a switch under the bar to turn them on at the same time, can I just splice the wiring together? I don't want to mount a power strip to the bar because of the chance that liquids could spill into its outlets. Plus, the bar is (hypothetically) being built to be collapsible and thus will fold down flat.

Ideally, the torches would be attached to the bar after it is setup and one switch turns it all on once its plugged in.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-04-15 15:45 ]

Geez, Pop!

How much splashing around of the liquids to you expect inside the bar? If the power strip was mounted on the underside of the bar top, or on the sides, liquid spillage shouldn't be an issue. Plus, most power strips are surge protected, so risk of that would be minimized. And, it would provide additional outlets for a blender, extra lighting, etc.

Many power strips have mounting notches that would allow the strip to slide on and off screw heads, making it removable if needed. They most all have on/off switches to allow you to turn on all your lights from one switch.

if the bar is intented to fold flat, then I'd assume the torches would need to be removable, else it wouldn't fold all that flat, which means the added bulk of the power strip really shouldn't be much of an issue.

As far as the wiring goes, you can splice your fixtures in union, as long as the total of all fixtures does not exceed the wattage/amp rating of the wiring you are using. Any splices should be contained in a junction box or other enclosure (such as the lamp socket housing). But if you're concerned about liquid getting on the power strip, I'd be far more concerned about the splicing getting wet, as you would no longer have the added benefit of the surge protection of the power strip. If you use a junction box, it would take up as much depth as a power strip anyway.

Bottom line is, don't mess with electrical wiring if you don't have the confidence or know-how to do it. Last thing you want is to have your new portable bar go up in a blaze of glory, or have Al get electrocuted as he gives your bar a tryout!

On 2003-04-15 16:15, Traderpup wrote:
Geez, Pop!

How much splashing around of the liquids to you expect inside the bar?

Depends - Sometimes, the flame throwin' bottle juggler comes out in me when I feel like showing off!

Anyways, you make a lot of sense. Thanks Pup and Lucky-D for the info.

Now, off to finish construction....

You can avoid a lot of liquid spilling problems by putting the lid on the shaker before shaking the cocktail. As for drilling out the bamboo...Unless you're making these to sell, it's kind of overthinking the details. A lamp chord running from the base of the torch down the pole isn't going to be noticed by anyone but you since you guests should be dazzled nearly blind by the wild fabulocity of your Tiki event. But if you have many hours to kill, drill away. You could even train some sort of boring beetle to do the work.

PP, whats a "rib'? (Kelbos?)

TP, knucle joint? (Sams "happy hour" ribs)

LD, Ribs? (with bbq sauce? Chilies ad)

NODE!!!! it's called a node!! and, the middle part is called a "culm".(Node=knot. Culm=column)

Re-bar!!!! It was made for this! Trust me. If you don't want to buy a piece, just go to a Depot or, and they always have it laying on the side and just do it. Tell them you work there!(or tell them to F.O.!!! An-I-Mal!!!))

Yup! Just like Da Bam Man says, just put rebar through the end and tap tap tap (sometimes bam bam bam or slam slam slam) and you've got a cleaned out rib-knuckle-node-culm-expialidocious!

Switchin'ToDecafCaddyDaddy

BB, thanks for the tip! Now I just gotta find a Home Depot that "carries" rebar for the taking so I can knock out those RIBS.

BTW - if I remove those RIBS on the inside, will it make the bamboo weaker?

On 2003-04-16 09:02, RevBambooBen wrote:
PP, whats a "rib'? (Kelbos?)

TP, knucle joint? (Sams "happy hour" ribs)

LD, Ribs? (with bbq sauce? Chilies ad)

Rev.Ben--

Isn't it obvious we are all hungry for a bit of exotica fine dining?

Mmmmm.... Sam's for happy hour and beyond... might have to satisfy my craving this Saturday, I don't have to be up too early for Easter Sunday...... and everybody else will probably be in Las Vegas, so might as well have a Mondo Tiki tribute for those of us less fortunate to go.....

TK

I have a slew of them in the 821. One problem with running them all on the same cord is that (at least with mine)they dont flicker as well after about the forth one. as far as the insulation, the insulation on the wire should be fine as long as there is nothing sharp in the path. I used both the old "can" style and the newer style torches. The only place to worry about is where the wire goes into the can.

D

i found battery-operated, flickering light candles that work well in Tiki Torches ~ added bonuses: not having to bonk out the nodes, run wires or plug it in! the flame isnt as nice as a real bulb..but have another mai tai, and it looks just fine!

small candles

there are other battery powered candles at [Service Lighting]9" candles](http://www.servicelighting.com/catalog_product.cfm?first_visit=no&source=General&prod=HN60888)

[ Edited by: dogbytes on 2004-06-03 21:09 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies