Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

a question about chisels....

Pages: 1 12 replies

P

So, there's a guy on craigslist selling a brand new, never used (he claims), set of 6 "PFEIL" wood carving chisels for 90 bones (I guess they cost like 160 new).

So, I'm wondering...do these tools really works SO MUCH BETTER than the $10 set of 4 chisels that I bought from harbor freight? Or is this a boutique item for guys who want to say that they have the best stuff.

There's a HUGE price gap there. Why????

T

On 2009-09-04 07:14, pjc5150 wrote:
So, there's a guy on craigslist selling a brand new, never used (he claims), set of 6 "PFEIL" wood carving chisels for 90 bones (I guess they cost like 160 new).

So, I'm wondering...do these tools really works SO MUCH BETTER than the $10 set of 4 chisels that I bought from harbor freight? Or is this a boutique item for guys who want to say that they have the best stuff.

There's a HUGE price gap there. Why????

Hmm. Don't know about the Pfeil, but $10 chisels? I would suspect those would get damaged easily (both the blade and the handle) or they won't stay or get very sharp.

You could compromise by buying some middle of the road chisels at home depot or lowes. My set (dont know the brand) is working pretty good. But you won't be able to find gauges at the local hardware store.

L
laojia posted on Fri, Sep 4, 2009 7:39 AM

Much better quality steel, heat treatment better, sharpening sustainable if you take care ... High quality tool have good price, done with a set of 10 usd is possible, but these tools is quickly reach their limits...

http://www.dick.biz/dick/category/dickcatalog/Pfeil-Bildhauersaetze-2697_51/detail.jsf

Hope this help!

J.

B

PJC, IF these are not bent and chipped up all over Get them FAST, Well worth it. The 10$ chisels will never be able to be sharpened properly and will Not hold an edge. As you get more ionto carving you will see the difference.
Yes there IS a Big difference.
That price is a BargIn.

I posted this on another thread but found this thread and thought it might be a better place. I'm wanting to purchase some other chisels and I found this set of 12 pcs made out of vanadium steel with wood handles for under $40.00...
These are the chisels it comes with
#7 SWEEP 1/4" GOUGE

#7 SWEEP 3/8" GOUGE

#7 SWEEP 5/8" GOUGE

#5 SWEEP 1" GOUGE

#7 SWEEP BENT 3/4" FISHTAIL GOUGE

#7 SWEEP 1/2" BENT GOUGE

5/16" STRAIGHT

9/16" STRAIGHT

3/4" BENT STRAIGHT

9/16" SKEW

#13 SWEEP V-PARTING

#14 SWEEP V-PARTING

Made By Smith & Wesson

Here's the pics of the set..

thanks for the help..

P

please send me the link. i'd be happy to buy them. i have an older set of chisels and a newer set. the metal (steel) is so different i couldn't tell you.

B

These are the same china crap but all prettied up with modern handles and fancy box. They spent the money on the handles and the box because the steel will be more like tin.
Again you guys can buy all these cheap china tools you want and keep buying because you can't get an edge on them

The exception being the China set from Dick tools sans handles which are better steel but check the review!!!!!

Thanks Benzart, I think I 'm going to pass on them and invest in some better metal, was on some of the woodworking sites and read lots of reviews, going to save my pennies and look for a decent set instead.. mahalo's

Here's the link for the above set
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260534201938&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2010-01-10 09:50 ]

L

Benz right! It is better to buy two Pfeil gouges that will last a lifetime rather than 12 tools that will last only some weeks.

J.

And even if the tool doesn't break, it's no good if it won't hold and edge. If you can't get it to stay sharp (or worse yet, you can't get it sharp in the first place) you'll work harder, get ugly results and possibly wind up injuring yourself in the process. Listen to Benzart! Good quality tools save time AND money.

J

Good tools are well worth the money.

As a cheapskate, I have tried to save money and ended up repurchasing carving tools to a much higher quality. That said, and as Benzart said, if you are just curious about carving it is hard to justify the large investment and you can get by with a cheap set. Don't plan on them lasting and/or getting quality results. Once you satisfy the initial curiosity and the fever gets you, and you break down and get a good carving tool you will really appreciate it.

Sometimes you can salvage a cheap chisel by retempering the steel. Heat it with a propane torch till the first inch or so from the cutting edge glows bright red, plunge it immediately into a cup of water (or better yet a cup of old motor oil) until it is cool to the touch. Clean the steel with steel wool or fine sandpaper so you can see bright metal ( it will be black from the torch and or oil quenching)then heat it again gently with a torch with the tip of the flame about one inch back from the cutting edge. As you heat you will notice the steel starting change colors. These color bands will start at where the torch is heating the steel and then start to move down the chisel. When the "straw" color hits the end remove the torch and let the steel cool slowly. The color may move very fast so pay attention. If it passes the tip, start all over. The steel at the tip should be much harder than it was before. Sharpen the chisel again as you normally would and it "might" hold a better edge. Even a little blueish color at the tip makes the steel much harder and will hold an edge longer, but it will be a lot more brittle and could chip if you hit edge against something.

This process will leave a "rainbow" of color on your chisels and they won't be the prettest things, but it is better than the un-useable one you had before.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it might save a few dollars for about 10-15 minutes of time.

Good luck.
JP

P

thanks, ben. i didn't know that. i'll file that info away. i bet my 40 year old, spanish chisels are better.

R

There are 3 threads on chiesls right now!
Anyway, Those $40 chisel's look sick! dam ill take your word, because i got afew chinese steel chisels, and my mate says they are made from tin cans!?!
I think he's joking, but they actually do carve like they are :( :wtf:
Its easy to say this, but viking steel is the best, Swiss. I heard some darma are good but im not sure which. I have an entire roll of nearly 30 something swiss. (its about 3k a roll)(i need another roll and 1 of flats)
They cut like a white hot razor in butter. It makes me laugh, to see them cut through wood like butter :D :lol: If sharpened correctly they will last over 3 generations. But mine havnt been sharpened all year, i keep them sharp with a arkansaw stone. If you let them get blunt, they crack. The hardest part is sharpening them correctly 1st.

I havn't seen spanish yet

Pages: 1 12 replies