Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

House of Tiki is (sadly) Closing Our Hut

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

It's been a long journey (eight wonderful years!) filled with lots of great memories. As many of you know, we made a huge effort to survive after having to leave our Newport Blvd. location. And we wish to thank ALL of you who have supported us through the years.

Please stop by to say "Aloha" to our little shop and House of Tiki 'ohana.

We are having a clearance sale on Saturday, Sept. 12th, 10 am to 6 pm.

Bring the keikis for a free shave ice.

Many MAHALOS for your support!

House of Tiki is located at 660 West 17th Street, Hut #30, in Costa Mesa, CA
(949) 642-8454

A Hui Ho! Wes

OKOLE MALUNA!!!!
SAVE THE WORLD, BUY BAMBOO!!
House of Tiki "THE ULTIMATE STORE FOR ISLAND DECOR"!!!
660 W. 17th Street,

[ Edited by: shakatiki 2009-09-04 12:19 ]

HM

I am so sad to hear that you are closing!! Dave and I will definately stop by and say hi.

R

Sorry to hear the sad news. I was lucky enough to stop by the old shop on a few of my trips out to So Cal. Best of luck with your future endevors.

Bummer Wes. Hope you can catch the next wave and ride like you've never ridden before.

M

Im sorry to hear it Wes.

Your shop was always a favorite of mine to visit when I was in Costa Mesa.

May these economic times just resolve themselves soon and get us ALL out of this funk..

bummer

I was very sad to hear of this, Wes & Pua are the best people you can know
Costa Mesa will be a less interesting place without the "House of Tiki".

Please all come down to the store, say hello & let them know that they will be missed.

Lance...you're awesome.

And thanks to everyone who has called, written, and come in to the store today to give us some Aloha. It's really helped.

Please don't forget to come see us on September 12th. We'd really appreciate it.

Malama Pono, Pua

I'm so sorry to hear the news. If only we were closer to be able to come by. Good luck with everything!

T

Very sad news.

It's the end of an era. House of Tiki was the last remaining place on my old Tiki Shopping Tour. I would hit Joe's Aloha Collectibles, Ron Jon's, Hilo Hattie, House of Tiki and Switched on Gallery every few weeks.

Thanks for always providing great tiki merchandise. You'll certainly be missed.

We have all been effected by this awful economy, I know my insurance brokerage has
been.... big time .We will all miss our little piece of Aloha in CM.I will definitely
stop by and say hello and buy some stuff .Best of luck to you Wes and all your future
endeavors .

Aloha-Trader Billy

This was the place were I purchased my first tiki. I always loved the lay out and the employees were always great and seemed like family.
As I am very sad to see this end,you never what may come of this in the future...........Wes and the crew are true friends to tiki and I wouldn't
be shocked to see them find another way to express their love of tiki in the future.

Even though I no longer live in O.C. I loved knowing it was an option when I came into town.

Thank you for starting me out on my tiki quest

C

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that, you are such nice people. thanks so much for being so kind to me, I appreciate it a lot, you seems like family more than business people, I guess that's bad thing lately... But it isn't it's inspiring. much aloha to you all!

As it drags on, this economy slump is making it harder and harder for a lot of small businesses to stay afloat, it sucks especially when the good ones bite the dust.

T

Wes and Pua....

So sorry to hear that H.O.T is going out. Ever since I visited there several years ago, I've been a fan.

Please follow this ling to the bottom of the page to fin a blog post I did on the Hot Lava Java Grand Opening. To me, the original House of Tiki location was my favorite, and I LOVED the Hot Lava Java coffee house idea.

I could spend a good 2 hours just hangin in House of Tiki, and it will be sadly missed.

http://tikiyaki.wordpress.com/?s=Hot+Lava+Java&searchbutton=Go%21

This economic recession just sucks.

Thanx for being there and having a great store guys...I'm sad to see you go.

This is sad Tiki news, indeed. Great store and nice people running it.
I think we all hope that you continue to sell your fine wares via the internet. (Will you?)
I love my bracelet and bamboo purse that I bought from your booth at Oasis this year. Quality merchandise!

Mahalo for providing a great shopping experience for us all in O.C. Raising a Tiki mug to you for new and profitable adventures in your future!

MR

Sad to hear such a cool shop is closing. I hope you guys can get something else going in the future. Wes, I just met you at Oasis and you struck me as a very nice, layed back person. I wish you all the best.

A
Al-ii posted on Mon, Sep 7, 2009 10:15 AM

Wes,
It was a good run. I still have my mug. Good luck in future endeavors.
Mahalo,
Al

M

Really liked your shop, Wes. Sorry to see it go. Best of luck with the future!

B

sorry to hear such sad news guys...the tiki world has lost a tresure...

Hi everybody, don't forget to come on down Saturday & show House of Tiki some love....

N

Very sad to hear the news. Wes and Pua are about as good as it gets. I'd like to thank both of you personally for supporting Tiki Magazine over the last 5 years,
especially when the magazine was just starting out. House of Tiki is a great store built with the Aloha Spirit. I'm going to make the trip up from San Diego on Saturday.
All I can say is Bummer! Best of luck to both Wes and Pua in the future! See you on Saturday.

Nick

Just do'in it. The process, friends, artifacts you leave behind. Your wave has hit the shore, and I hoped you enjoyed the ride. Much more mana to you all in the future.

Aloha 'Ohana:

Just an update and a bump while we're at it. Thank you for the kind words and outpouring of love as we bid Aloha 'oe to our beloved H.O.T. Means the world to us.

House of Tiki 'ohana alumni and Tiki Farm's own lovely Nalani (Sharon), has kindly and generously offered to provide some entertainment at our hut on Saturday. Many of you know the beauty and the sweet spirit of aloha that is Tropical Paradise Dancers. We're so honored and lucky to have had the pleasure of working with and knowing Gary and Sharon and we're touched that they've offered to help us out.

Please come by this Saturday (10 am to 6 pm) and say Aloha!

Wes

OKOLE MALUNA!!!!
SAVE THE WORLD, BUY BAMBOO!!
House of Tiki "THE ULTIMATE STORE FOR ISLAND DECOR"!!!
660 W. 17th Street,

[ Edited by: shakatiki 2009-09-10 11:13 ]

See you there......

I'm gonna try to swing by, before going to the SHAG swap meet deal.

Jeff(btd)

Mahalo Everyone...you touch my heart!

The House of Tiki will be very missed. You can count on us for a visit tomorrow, but it'll be with heavy heart that we say goodbye to this great little shop with the warm, friendly staff. Aloha and good luck to you in the future.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Sep 11, 2009 7:28 PM

See you Saturday at House of Tiki.

J

Oh man that really sucks. :( Hopefully I'll get a chance to stop by before you fully close.

Everybody get down there, get a good deal on something cool, get one of House of Tiki's great Tiki Mugs before they are gone,forever!
Show Wes & Pua some Love.

Do it,Do it,Do it,Do it,Do it,Do it,Do it,Do it,Do it,Do it,Do it,Do it,Do it......

Do It!

G

I will be popping by there at some point today.
It's too bad the economy is hurting small businesses like this.

Who needs shave Ice!

Thanks Wes & Pua, you guys are the best....

It was good to see so many people show yesterday. I wish it was under better circumstances. Thank you Wes and Pua. I'll miss being able to come in. I'm glad to hear the website will still be up!
Your Shakatiki has found a good home.

It's hard to describe. My heart is heavy, but also overflows with gratitude at the same time. It's hard to imagine that House of Tiki will be no more. Yet, there is no mistaking that it has indeed, left a footprint. For me, a bit more, a handprint on my heart.

Through H.O.T., I've met some of the best people in the world. People who have become more than friends. I have a hanai brother, Wes, to add to the 7 brothers and 6 sisters born to my 'ohana. And I have my hanai keiki Justin ("Juice!") to add to an already overflowing pu'uwai. To me, they couldn't be any more true kama'aina than if they had Hawaiian blood flowing through their veins. We will forevermore be family.

The Aloha Spirit I felt when I first came to H.O.T. I found in Sharon, her daughter Kaytee, and in Wes and his son Justin. It was home away from home and like a tonic to a homesick Hawaiian. That is how it's been these years.

There have been the highest highs and now the lowest low, but its been a great ride.

I want to thank everyone who has shown us love these past few days. Since we made the announcement, the outpouring has been phenomenal. I want to mention everyone by name, but the list would go on and on. There are, however, some House of Tiki 'ohana that deserve mention because they bent over backwards to help us and would not accept "we're fine" as an answer:

Lance; you're the man. Coming by nearly everyday to ask what you could do to help. Standing behind that shave ice machine for 10 hours straight and then standing behind your own tiki bar for a couple more to nurse our wounds and battle scars with your fabulous MaiKai Mai-Tais. Thank you Dear Friend.

Sharon, Gary, Kaytee, & the Tropical Paradise Dancers; Mahalo nui. In true Aloha, you offered your time and talent and turned what could have been a sad day into a celebration. Thank you. Sharon, thank you for the special trip you made to help us out. I wish I cold put into words how much that meant. You are an angel.

Caris, Charlie, Averie...You've always busted 'okole. You've been there through everything and worked your tails off. You always said; "How can I help?" and "What can I do?" and you never asked "What's in it for me?" You did what you did because your hearts were always in the right place and always at the right time, and because you loved me. Thank you.

Big Ed; Mahalo for the special trip. As you could probably tell by the end of the day Saturday..it wasn't without merit. You "rock" and I'll miss those Big Ed bear hugs.

Nick; the fact that you drove ALL THAT WAY to support us and to say Aloha will always be something I look on as special. It really meant so much to see you there. Thank you. I hope your son is loving his "surfing ants". :)

Holden; I honestly don't have words. Mahalo. From the bottom of my heart. From the words of encouragement through a really hard week, to your generosity in keeping our shelves stocked with the best mugs in the world, and for always listening with a kind ear and an open heart. Most of all, thank you for being there Saturday. It meant more to me than you can know.

To the TC 'Ohana who wrote notes and sent emails...mahalo for your heartfelt wishes. I know this isn't the end. It's just the beginning of new adventures.

To the friends and customers who've come through the years...thank you for your support. If I've forgotten anyone, please forgive me and know that you are in my heart and I am grateful.

Finally, to my hanai brother Wes; though it is heartbreaking to see our little hut close, we did what we could to nurture it. Because of that, friendships were made, bonds were formed, and new family was born. I watched you pour out a generous heart year after year. In my small kid days; my uncle always told me to do what you could with what you had, even if what you had was only manini (little). I've seen you do that again and again. You gave when you had little and you never expected a return. 'Ohana is more than just a word for family. Hanai goes beyond adopted family. It is the life which revolves around the extended family and the clan. It is a group of both closely and distantly related people who share nearly everything: land, food, children, status, and most importantly; the Spirit of Aloha. You have been more to me than the owner of a little shack of Aloha here on the Mainland. You are my friend. You are truly my brother. I adore you and I have been blessed and honored to have shared this experience with you. Me ke Aloha pumehana my dear and beloved friend. I do not know where the wind will blow us, but I know that there are new adventures ahead. This is not goodbye. Remember...Kulia i Kanu'u and IMUA! Malama Pono, Pua

Aloha oe, aloha oe
E ke onaona noho i ka lipo
One fond embrace,
A hoi ae au
Until we meet again. (Queen Lili'uokalani, 1878)

[ Edited by: TikiShopPua 2009-09-14 13:07 ]

Sorry I didn't make it on Sat.

but I did see Wes on Sunday in Huntington Beach.
and he said that the store will be open till the end of Sept.
so if you couldn't make it on Sat like me.

swing by before the end of the month.

Good luck to everybody involved in the H.O.T. in future endeavors.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-09-14 10:51 ]

T

That's good to know, BigTiki. We'll try to stop by this Saturday.

Thanks Pua!,
It was an honor to help you & Wes out Saturday & any day you need it, all of you at the HOT are truly exceptional people
I am proud to call you Friends, Your Spirit will overcome these sad times, as was clearly shown in the laughs & story telling you brought to my home & Tiki Lounge, after a real days work! I would sling Shave Ice for you guys anytime!

Holden, Mike, Sharon, Big Ed all you guys are great! it was more like hanging out at the Oasis again, then working.
Thanks to all of you who came down to the House of Tiki to support Wes & Pua, I did not get to talk to many of you
But I think I met all of your Kids!

Best of Luck to all you!
Lance

I managed to stop by for a few minutes on Saturday and pick up a mug, a shirt, and a pendant...it was good to see that the place was packed, but sad that it took such an event to fill it. I know this economy sucks eggs, but to me it was just a reminder that we have to support our Tiki establishments or they will disappear. Thanks for the heads-up about being open till the end of the month, I definitely saw some things I wanted to go back for.

House of Tiki will be open for a couple more weeks, Try to pay them a visit, say hello.
Do it,Do it,Do it.

I was there early 9:45 am ....got in and out before the herd showed up .

You guys are a real class act...

Right back atcha Lance!

Yep, our rent's paid through the 30th, so we're still going to have the doors open until then. If you didn't make it on Saturday, you still have an opportunity to stop by and check out what's left. Still have some great things at big discounts.

Mahalo, Pua

bump....

Down to the last week for House of Tiki being open, I saw a couple of Shaka mugs still there today.

Well you have til Wed. Til House of Tiki shuts it doors, Say hi to Pua, get a HOT mug, before they are gone...forever.

since I missed the big weekend event, I will prob swing by this sat.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 2 49 replies