Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tampa Tiki ?

Pages: 1 10 replies

ZT

First time posting here so...

Aloha!

I have been a reader of the forums for a long while, I'm just not a poster.

On to my question, I have to make frequent trips to Tampa over the next few months and wanted to know if there is any worth while Tiki to visit in the area. It seems that there was quite a bit at one point but most is gone now. Can any of you point me in the right direction? Seeing Tiki would be great, drinking Tiki would be even better.

(Doing a search for Tampa Tiki seemed to pull up very little)

Mahalo

ZZ Tiki

Never thought the day would come when I'd see THAT moniker! It gives me strange visuals. Compliments on the concept! :)

If I would be in the Tampa area, I would make a pilgrimage to this place:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29685&forum=2

Its artifacts have only very recently been identified as this man's work:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32101&forum=1&start=0

...and I would try to find any photographic evidence of the restaurant he decorated, too:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32239&forum=2

"...the exterior had really cool human-sized abstract (almost 50s biomorphic style) tikis carved of lava that were set into the exterior walls. There was also plenty of Polynesian-style wood trim (tiki totems, etc.)"

...AND see if I could get some original material from the heyday of the Tahitian Gardens condo complex and development, the whole area seems to have been Tahiti-fied!:

http://tahitiangardens.net/Map.html

The mindset and eye of the urban archeologist would be the proper way to approach such an expedition, though.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-09-06 08:58 ]

ZT

Awesome, I will have to check on those. I will bring a camera for any discoveries. There seems to be many "remnants" of previous Tiki "cultures" in that part of Florida.

After a bit of research, I wonder what happened for that coastline to go from Tiki everywhere to Sports Bars and Nascar. Nothing wrong with either but it seems that the current inhabitants don't want anything to do with that kind of stuff. Is it just too redneck to support a real Tiki Bar? After a few phone calls to places like the Thunderbird which has a "Tiki Bar" and a place called the Freaky Tiki, it seems that getting a simple Mai Tai will be near impossible. Has anyone tried to open a modern authentic Tiki Bar there? I would assume that those "girly drinks" would not be very popular down in those parts.

And Ybor city looks a bit scary.

Now, NYC is not a great place for Tiki either, but my apartment has a full service bar tended by your truly. I may have to fedex myself some "supplies" or build a suitcase bar.

Oh, and the ZZ is my first and last name initials.

The problem is that it was Tiki style which had equalled redneck for the longest time down there, and so the esthetic was cast out.

And among TCers, it is an accepted fact that in Florida the term "Tiki Bar" has its own meaning - 90 % of the time it describes a shelter made of four posts with some palm fronds as cover, that's it.

You probably get that ZZ thing a lot, here in conjunction with the T of Tiki it seemed even more obvious. :D

L

I lived in Tampa Bay for over 20 years...Ybor ain't that scary - might be best to actually GO there before you make that assumption.Actually you may want to visit first before you make any assumptions about what you can find in Tampa.

There are some killer restaurants in Tampa..esp if you like wings/seafood/thai/sushi/italian.

There are tons of fun bars and clubs to check out which cater to all age ranges and interests- and plenty that specialize in "girly" drinks that are popular by the way.

Also there is lots to do in and around the beaches.

Tampa is NOT all about NASCAR and rednecks just so you know. I am actually offended by those comments seeing as how the majority of my family and friends reside in Tampa and I go back to visit often.

We may not have Tiki Bars in the polynesian sense but there sure is a lot of great stuff we do have.

Only drawbacks are the extreme humidity, constant rain showers and the elderly and out of state folks who clog the roads during rush hour. :)

[ Edited by: leleliz 2009-09-06 13:48 ]

P
pablus posted on Sun, Sep 6, 2009 2:11 PM

One thing is for sure: the Tampa area has the best conflagration of tiki music in the whole daggummed US. (That's southern talk right thar.)

You've got the Haole Kats.
You've got Stolen Idols.
Papaya Boy and Nina Coquina.
You've got Jennifer, the Tiki Chanteuse.

And there's one other band... what's the name of those guys again? Crazy something or other.

If the stars align - you may get the whole daggumed shootin' match at one luau.
Or you may hear crickets. We're busy fighting urban sprawl here, after all.

When you're coming... PM me or Hot Lava and we'll set up a little private tiki tour that you won't soon forget. Hopefully you're not a jerk. And if you are one, we'll tell you all about it and you can grow from the experience, much like martiki, monkeyman, virani and many others who have graced our shores and left as better people for it. (yes, I'm kidding.)

AND if you like really crappy drinks served in plastic at a true tiki lounge from the 60s - just head to Sarasota and go to the Bahi Hut. It's horrible and wonderful at the same time.

kailuageoff's amazing, amazing lounge is about and hour and half away.
Wayne Coombs's's fortress of solitude is a couple of hours.

Florida rocks - or at least - sways with purpose.

And when in Tampa, remember that paradise is only a 3.5 hour drive away.
Ifyouknowwhatimeanmaikaiandithinkyoudo.

P
pablus posted on Sun, Sep 6, 2009 2:36 PM

Crap, I left out Tiki Bill. There's no excuse for that.
Tiki Bill has much music and art in his paradise.

He's the real deal.

L

Thanks Pablus for the Tampa cheering section :)

I will have to remember to pm you when I come visit again so that I can get that tiki tour..ya never know..I just might see some sights I haven't seen before!

ZT

I seem to offended someone so I will reply in full tomorrow after sobering up. Until then let me first say that I grew up in MIssouri in a town of 15,000 with a father who would base his new truck purchase off of how large of a gun rack he could fit in the back window. I also spent almost every sunday for a great number of years watching Pro Bass Fishing. The rest of the time was at the I70 drag racing track near Kansas City. If that isn't redneck I don't know what is. I have however spent some time in Tampa and St. Pete Beach in the past, just not searching Tiki. I have not been to Ybor City, but from what I can tell it is not my thing. Not that there is anything wrong with it, I just don't like those kind of places. Kansas Cities Power and Light District, The landing in St. Louis, Chelsea in NYC, Its not my thing. To many people and to many bars and clubs in a small area. I do Like Tampa and Florida in general though so I figure if I am going to spend time there I might as well see some Tiki. I also wondered where all the old Tiki went. Again, I meant no harm.

Redneck city boy with a shotgun who loved bass fishin,
ZZ Tiki

I will be back after the Zombie, Dr. Funk, Navy Grog and Mai Tai run its corse on my Liver.

What?...... its Labor Day Weekend.

Which means more drinks tomorrow :wink:

S

Tahitian Gardens is still there but not the kind of place to spend the night if you catch my drift. Tampa Bay is still a nice place to live and play. Always lots to do. You will have fun.

ZT

Totally, I can have fun anywhere. My main concern was trying to see Tiki, which from what it sounds like, is still there but maybe not "functioning". I really enjoy the Fort DeSoto Park beach, except the 12000 Sting Rays and had a great time at the Zoo in Tampa. Anyway, my folks are moving to St. Pete Beach and I have to give them some help to get settle, so I will be down there often. Who knows maybe I will move down there and open an actual Tiki Room. Sounds like they are due for one.

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)

ZZ TIKI

Pages: 1 10 replies