Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vic signature

Pages: 1 5 replies

I finally picked up a copy of the 1946 edition of Trader Vic's Food and Drink book and, to my surprise, found it was signed inside (not printed) "Trader Vic." Did Vic Bergeron sign books in this fashion and was it common for him to do so?

I also found some interesting Trader Vic order forms, with nice graphics, from the same year, tucked inside the cover. I assume these may have originally accompanied the books when they were sold?

GK

It's actually very common. Trader Vic had a reputation of signing his name to anything and everything he could. I too had the same exact book signed by him. The signature was dated 1961.

That reminds me of the Havana Trader Vic's menus that were signed by Vic. I see them on ebay from time to time and they all have the exact same handwritten note - something like "no more Cuban rum thanks to that stinker Castro, but we still have a lot of menus." I always just assumed that they were fake, but now I'm not so sure.

[ Edited by: const tiki 2010-03-18 11:16 ]

Here's a photo of him doing that very thing from the Trader Vic's Oakland thread in Locating Tiki.

Here is the signature I have, picked this book up for $10

Here's mine, a well used first edition from a friend whose grandmother was a Seattle TV host or something like that back in the 50s.

Having Vic's signature on something is cool, but the inscription in a Vic's manual I like best is this one my mom wrote in 1962 to my grandpa (dad's dad) who was a bartender:

Pages: 1 5 replies