Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Kinks

Pages: 1 12 replies

Oh hell yeah. I'd go see these guys in a heart beat. What a trip it would be. If Tonga Room goes let's get the Kinks to bring the house down.

First time I heard "Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz, I thought for sure the song was heavily influenced by The Kinks. To my ears it sounds similar to their style.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Sep 14, 2009 2:14 PM

Kinks. Live.

1984 - Irvine Meadows. Listened to Kinks Kontroversy (cassette) on the freeway drive down to the show. Girlfriend WAS Kinks virgin but that status changed immediately that night.

One of the best live shows by a British invasion band I ever witnessed. Dave, Ray and Mick - original members onstage. Audience enveloped in sheer harmonious emotion. I feel so lucky to have seen them live at least once.

God, I still get shivers while listening to Ray's guitar solo in All Day And All Of The Night and I've heard that solo a thousand times. Seven seconds of pure, unadulterated rapture. Long Live The Kinks!

I rehashed this photo to here.

One of my all time faves, EVAR.
Check out the setting. Looks like snow to me. Synchronicity is off but you get it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmM7xIRtY1M

"I'm Not Like Everybody Else"...one of the most overlooked Kink's songs of the '60's. I forgot all about it 'till I went to a show in 1978 and saw a punk band called The Hitmakers perform a perfect rendition. The Kinks rule!

Paranoia Will Destroy Ya!

T

Shipwreckjoey wrote

"I'm Not Like Everybody Else"...one of the most overlooked Kink's songs of the '60's. I forgot all about it 'till I went to a show in 1978 and saw a punk band called The Hitmakers perform a perfect rendition. The Kinks rule!

"I'm Not Like Everybody Else" I Love it and play it all the time..

T

On 2009-09-22 21:29, Shipwreckjoey wrote:

You saw The Hitmakers with Ron Silva?! I never got a chance to see them.

That's my favorite Kinks song of all. The Chocolate Watchband version is great too.

On 2009-10-16 18:11, thejab wrote:

On 2009-09-22 21:29, Shipwreckjoey wrote:

You saw The Hitmakers with Ron Silva?! I never got a chance to see them.

That's my favorite Kinks song of all. The Chocolate Watchband version is great too.

The song was used on one of the episodes of the Sopranos to close out the show. It was a live version and to this day stands out as one of the all time greats. The kinks themselves performed.

The Kinks were great. Saw them in 65 here in Tucson, (or it might have been Phoenix, memories are a bit hazy). All Day and All of the Night was one of the songs the band I was in did. Also Till the End of the Day & 'Victoria'. Kinks and Yardbirds were it for us. Couldn't get any cooler.

if you like the Kinks, or songs that sound like the Kinks,
listen to the first section of this show:
http://radiofreebakersfield.com/shows/rfb156.mp3

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-11-10 21:55 ]

Ape played Ape Man at the Mai Kai.

anyone have dat a bideo?

Pages: 1 12 replies