Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vic's ash trays

Pages: 1 5 replies

I just bought 5 Trader Vic's ash trays from a woman at a flea market for 12 bucks. One of them has Made In Japan stamped on the bottom. Is it older? This seemed like a pretty good deal for all of them together.

Yes, that was a good deal, especially since you avoided shipping costs. I collected mine one and two at a time, and think I got pretty good prices. But I'm sure I spent at least double what you paid. Congratulations!

Which one is older, the one marked Made in Japan, or the unmarked ones?

T

Hey SuperEight. The majority of those Vic ashtrays had the small oval Made in Japan stickers on them. The ones without probably would have had them at one time. I would say most of them are roughly the same age. I didn't notice any remakes from Trader Vic's until just recently for their Anniversary. You can see these on their website I think. The images of these are a little different from the original old ones you find although they are still made in Japan.
Great price! You did good.

Mahalo, TabooDan

[ Edited by: TabooDan 2009-09-18 06:28 ]

Here are the six I have...

The printed "Made In Japan" ashtrays are slightly larger than the ones that had stickers, leading me to believe the printed ones are probably older.

PTD

The FDA is now outlawing clove cigarettes. Smoking in restaurants and bars has been outlawed in most cities. With the increasing government restrictions on smoking, I wonder if the day is coming when I’ll have to hide my vintage Trader Vic’s ashtray collection, lest I be arrested for possession of illegal drug paraphernalia.
(I'm a non-smoker, but consider this a personal liberty and free marketplace thing. No one's forcing me to go to a particular restaurant, after all,... or "tricking" me into smoking, by using clove flavor!)

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-09-24 09:21 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies