Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

What's on in So. Cal between October 8th til October 23rd?

Pages: 1 27 replies

Hi, just wondering if anything was happening between October 8th and the 23rd, as we are flying out for 2 weeks vacation, and like to do as much as possible while we are there!! Would like to get together with the normal crowd while we are there, maybe Konas or Tiki Ti's? Let us know.
Thanks.
Sue and Dave.
England.

[ Edited by: TIKIWAGON 2009-09-22 12:52 ]

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Sep 17, 2009 7:06 AM

Tikiwagon - Aloha!

Saturday October 10th: Tikiyaki Orchestra 2nd semi-annual Lodge Meeting and Swap Meet - Mayflower Club - North Hollywood

Search T.C. for details. This is an EVENT!! - you will not want to miss.

Hope to meet you two there :)

And a week after the Tikiyaki Orchestra event there is the Smokin' Menehunes at Buster's Beach House in Long Beach (on the water) on October 18 @ 4pm.

Hey Sue, and Dave,
good to hear you are coming out again.

I would also highly recommend the Tikiyaki show on the 10th.
and the Smokin Menehune's at Busters that Soccer mentioned.

and Kona is Now an Official Don the Beachcomber,
the drinks and food are off the hook.
fri and sat usually has bands playing 9 pm to 12 am in the bar.
I will post here who that will be as it gets closer.

Jeff(btd)

Hi Guys

Thanks for all of the information already, we will be at the Tikiyaki event for sure, and we are hoping to be at the Smokin Menehunes event the week after as well, as we will be in Long Beach that day too, so works out just great! Must try and do Don the Beachcomber now as well, will have to see what night we can squeeze that in!! More suggestions always appreciated!
Thanks.
Sue and Dave.

Sue and Dave,
my B-day is the 10th, and I was planning(money available of course)
on hitting most of the tiki places in So. Cal. that week following.
so maybe we should talk thru PM's about which ones of those you have or have not done, and or want to do, and we can meet up at some of them.

Jeff(btd)

We have worked out some kind of rough plan for our trip, we are going to do Don the Beachcomber at Huntington Beach on Friday 9th October (our first night), if anyone is interested, then Tikiyaki on Saturday night, and then the Smokin Menehunes on the following Sunday the 18th, plus anything else that comes up!
Let us know who is up for the 9th?
Thanks.

[ Edited by: TIKIWAGON 2009-09-18 00:24 ]

I'm up for the 9th.

Jeff(btd)

We are now thinking of doing the Tikiyaki event, then staying in a hotel near there or Rose Bowl, and then doing the flea market in the morning, does anybody know any good hotels around that area?

I haven't been to the Mayflower club yet,
but the Safari Inn
1911 W Olive Ave,
Burbank, Los Angeles, California,
can't be too far away.
Jim Of Tikiyaki can prob tell ya more.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-09-22 12:39 ]

The Safari Inn is about 10 minutes away from the Mayflower....that's driving distance.

A cool place, but a bit pricey.

too bad you are not staying till Oct 31st.
the Dynotones will be having a mug release party/show at Don's
oh well.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

I don't believe it, we miss the Dynatones every time we are over, we haven't got to see them yet, maybe oneday!!

S

Dynotones mug?

Any previews anywhere??

[ Edited by: skeeter 2009-09-23 12:18 ]

You can check the LA Weekly's Calendar if you don't mind the information overload.

Mötörhead's playing in LA on Friday the 9th, but why come to California to see them, right?

Bob Dylan's playing the Palladium from the 13th to the 15th.

R

On 2009-09-22 12:31, bigtikidude wrote:
I haven't been to the Mayflower club yet,
but the Safari Inn
1911 W Olive Ave,
Burbank, Los Angeles, California,
can't be too far away.
Jim Of Tikiyaki can prob tell ya more.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-09-22 12:39 ]

good call! The Safari Inn is great, affordable, centrally located to most( ie; North Hollywood is 5 minutes away by Fwy,Pasadena is 10 minutes away),... AND you can say you stayed where they filmed "True Romance" (and a bunch of other stuff)
:)

[ Edited by: RoseRed 2009-09-23 15:19 ]

How much of Southern California do you hope to cover? San Diego has the Bali Hai, Mr Tiki, Bar Pink has the band Exotiki playing on the 13th, the San Diego Zoo, and umpteen little museums.

On 2009-09-23 12:16, TIKIWAGON wrote:
I don't believe it, we miss the Dynatones every time we are over, we haven't got to see them yet, maybe oneday!!

You may be in luck...the Dynotones are playing the Pike in Long Beach on Friday, 10/9. The Pike is a very cool bar with excellent food, owned by ex-Social Distortion drummer Chris Reese.

Pike Bar & Fish Grill
1836 E 4th St
Long Beach, CA 90802-3807
(562) 437-4453

The Dynotones are playing the PIKE? Wow!

I love the Pike! Food is INSANE. Burgers taste like steak! Lobster tacos! And those freakin' PBR battered onion rings are RIDICULOUS. I never liked onion rings until I had the ones at the Pike.

How about some links with that?

Pike Bar and Grill

Dynotone Shows

Sue and Dave,
I agree the Pike on the 9th is a must.
great food, and must see band.
you can go to Don's on any night,
and actually a mon. to thurs. are the best as there is way less people.
and Monday is kinda the TC night there.

Jeff(btd)

Thanks everyone for all of your help, looks like we are going to Pike's then instead of Don's, and we will try and work out when we can fit Don's in as well, as we are going out of the area for quite alot of the vacation, so will post again what night we can hopefully make that instead, but hope to see a few of you at Pike's! At last we will get to see The Dynatones, yippee!!

JEALOUS!
Have a whale of a time, mates... And bring me back that '48 Caddy motorhome, don't forget.

Right we have managed to sort out a night for Don's in Huntington, it is going to be Wednesday 14th October, if anyone is up for it?

Dave and Sue,
can you post what your schedule is kinda looking like?
for the tiki related places, so people can come and see you at different days,places.

good to see you at the Dynotones, and Tikiyaki show.
I know you were getting tired with (jetlag), but glad you hung in there for
awhile each night.

hope to see you at Don's and other places,
remind us when.

thanks
Jeff(btd)

I know that Phoenix AZ. is a ways away.
but there is this event on Sun the 18th.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34107&forum=4&7

I might be going.

Jeff(btd)

Glasgow Tiki Shakers are at Don the Beachcomber on Sat. Oct. 17th.
9pm to midnight.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-10-14 09:12 ]

Join Dave and Sue( aka Tikiwagon) from England, tonight at Don the Beachcombers
they said they will be there around 5:30 or 6 pm.

Pages: 1 27 replies