Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Pacific Islander fest San Diego

Pages: 1 7 replies

I hadn't seen this posted so I thought I would .

Aloha
Trader Billy

http://www.pifasandiego.com/

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-09-17 17:27 ]

I checked this out once several years ago, it was pretty cool.

Unfortunately I will be up north in San Francisco for the Forbidden Island event
or I would be going to this for sure .Looks like alot of fun.All you TC people
that live in San Diego you got it made this event is in your back yard.
Please let me know how it is with some feedback after you go, I would like
to go next year.

M

I've been several times and it's always fun. Excellent music and dancing!
Catch it if you can!

Can anyone share a story of the last time San Diego Choppers were INVITED to participate, when they were uncermoniously relocated after setting up to an unshaded fenced Haole concentration pen far from the festivities and instructed not to speak to the attendees?

Freaky Boutiki Carvers were asked to demo at the event several years ago but declined so I did not witnes this in person only listened with mouth agape to stories. An islander friend said this was not unlikely, that the organizations leadership seems to change yearly and is self sabotaging.

What could become a well attended cultural celebraton seems to be intentionally alienating non islanders. A Hawaiian friend insists that the organization is pretty f'd up and exclusionary.

I'd like to go but wouldn't want to be harrassed for the color of my skin or lack thereof.

B

I don't know who told you that horror story, Hank. I went to PIFA in '07 with the other carvers and we were all treated very well. Folks showed much interest in what we were doing. I felt absolutely NO hostility towards myself or anyone else.

They posted a picture of me and another of Billy The Crud on the PIFA website!
http://www.pifasandiego.com/Photo_Booths/index.htm

I'm not sure why we were not invited back, but I think there was some kind of safety issue. You know, sharp tools and chips flying while carving.

Here's the PIFA thread from '07. Let the pictures do the talking. See any hostility?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=25332&forum=17&start=225&hilite=pacific%20islander%20festival

So go check out PIFA, guys! Haole or not, it doesn't matter!

...and free Spam from the Spam Mobile! :)

Bowie

My wife and I will be attending the 19th Annual Pacific Islander Festival,Saturday and Sunday, September 21 & 22 at Ski Beach, Mission Bay. I spoke to a couple of vendors that have sold there the last couple of years and they said it is certainly worth going to. If anyone else is going, let us know and maybe we can meet up.

My wife and I might attend too. What time are you thinking of going? We could do Saturday but not Sunday. I guess we would be there by noon. Maybe we will see you there.

You would recognise me, I have chatted with you a bunch of times at the ITMP and grabbed a bunch of your amazing puffer fish lights.

Pages: 1 7 replies