Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Surf Drum off &Jam @ surf museum in Huntington,sun sept 20th

Pages: 1 4 replies

Huntington Beach International Surfing Museum Presents:

“FREE” Surfin’ Sundays Season Grand Finale Concert & Book Signing

Date: Sunday September 20th, 2009

Time: 12:00 Noon to 4:00 Pm

This concert is dedicated to HBISM Founder Natalie Kotsch, Guitar Legend Dick Dale and HBISM volunteer John Miller. We are proud of all of you valiantly fighting to beat the odds against cancer.
“POUNDING SURF” DRUM DVD SEQUEL & GUITAR JAM SESSION

Our theme this year is "Before There Was Surf" exploring all the great music that laid the foundation for the music we know and love. You'll get first-hand accounts and performances by some of the folks that created surf music, plus all the great songs that first inspired them to play. This year's show will be an unforgettable afternoon of music, history, jamming and fun featuring an incredible array of talent:

On Drums: Bob Colwell (Dave Myers and the Surftones, Trademarks), Tracy Longstreth (Rhythm Rockers), Lee Kix (Reventlos), Bob Welch (The Chantays), Doug Harlow (The Eliminators)

On Saxophone: Jim Frias (Nocturnes) & Armon Frank (Surfmen, Dick Dale)

On Guitars: Paul Johnson (Belairs, Surfaris), Bob Spickard (The Chantays), Gil Orr (The Chantays, Duo-Tones), Barry Rillera (Dick Dale, Trademarks, Rillera Brothers Band), John Blair (Jon & the Nightriders), Ron Eglit (Dick Dale, Surfaris), Matt Quilter (Reventlos)

Keyboards: Kerry Chester (Dick Dale, Dead Men Don't Surf)

Bass: John Benton (Lively Ones) & Jeff Hanson (Big Tiki Dude)

In 2005 we featured “Pounding Surf DVD Promotional Concert” at HBISM for the first time to a live audience. Released in 2008 this DVD is entertaining, educational and includes the history of instrumental surf music from interviews with legends such as Dick Dale, Paul Johnson, Bob Spickard & Richard Delvy.

Pounding Surf! DVD’s will be on sale at a special rate during this show only.

SPECIAL GUEST: Please join Champion Surfer Mike Hynson for a book signing of his newly published autobiography, “Mike Hynson – Transcendental Memories of a Surf Rebel” appearing inside the museum during this concert.

We invite you to join us in celebration of 13 years of great music, from dedicated musicians who donate their precious time in support of the museum. Our concerts feature oldies but goodies and promising newcomers as well as celebrities like Dick Dale, Dean Torrence & John Blair who just happen to drop in.

We have shade pop-ups but the chairs are limited, so we encourage you to bring your own.

HBISM Phone: 714-960-3483

Check our website http://www.surfingmuseum.org for the complete schedule and information.

great day at the surf museum.
ton of people there, about 150 or so.

even saw some tiki peeps.
Kirby and Poly and his Niece and their dog
Tiki Bong,
Tikiyaki Jim,
1961 surf Bill,
the tiki couple, sorry forgot your names.
and Crazy Al for awhile, then he had to go for business.

here is a pic, that someone posted of me, playing bass with some surf legends.
Paul Johnson(guitar of the Belairs), Kerry Chester of the Deltones(dick dale band-on Keys) Bob Caldwell drums-Dave Myers & the Surftones), Adrien of CHUM drums, Matt Quilter Guitar-Reventlos, HBKahuna-surf fan, guitar behind Matt)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-09-21 14:39 ]

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Sep 21, 2009 2:18 PM

Jeff -

Wish I could have been there yesterday, I couldn't make it due to another thing going-on and I didn't see this post until last Friday.

I would have loved to drum with you guys..surf music has ALWAYS been and always is embedded in my soul.

(also - Huntington Beach, man! My old neighborhood growing up; I loved it all until the Nazi cop regime took over circa 1980s. I don't get back too often.)

[ Edited by: TikiG 2009-09-21 14:18 ]

This was a great day with incredible surf music , perfect weather , and the local
eye candy present wasn't to shabby either .Could not ask for a better Sunday afternoon .
Very cool to chat with legendary surfer Mike Hynson from Endless Summer fame- was
there signing his new book release.Very fortunate that surfing mecca HB is just ten
minutes from my house .

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-09-21 23:00 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies