Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The Stray f#cking Cats are back!

Pages: 1 22 replies

Can you believe this?

Hootenanny 2003 - with the Stray Cats
Hidden Valley, Irvine, CA
Saturday July 05, 2003 12:00 pm

The only reason I'm telling all of you, is because I already have my tickets. So have at 'em.
The other line-up seems better on the 6th, but the Stray Cats?! You can't miss something like this.

The line-up for that day is:
Cadillac Tramps
The Blasters (so cool!)
John Doe
Original Sinners (w/ Exene from X)
James Intveld (alway so good)
Hot Rod Lincold (Super good, straight ahead rockabilly from San Diego)
Russel Scott (great voice and a regular at the Doll Hut)
Moonlight Creepers
Los Creepers (Hispanic Psychobilly- funny guys)
...and others

The other day has Social Distortion (one of my all-time favorites)
Little Richard (classic)
Deke Dickerson (one of my other all-time favorites)
Jr. Brown (unbelievable guitar/ steel player)
Rocket From the Crypt
Lee Rocker
Dave Vanian and his Phantom Chords
Dave Alvin (so good, from the Blasters)
Nekromantix (spooky psychobilly)
Kingbees (great 80's rockabilly)
Paladins
Jesse Dayton (great guitar picker/ singer from the Road Kings)
THROW RAG (this is a band you have to go see!)
Blazing Haley (from Santa Barbara)
Hellbound Hayride (my personal buddies, that sh#t will make you do some cocaine)
....and others

I guess the Rev isn't playing this year. He's probably had enough of the Hootennany over the years like I thought I had. The heat, the people, the prices. The line-up still seems better on the second day but c'mon, The Stray f'n Cats?!

S

Hey Lucky,

Sounds like a great couple 'o daze!

Tough decision between the Stray Cats and Social D. I'm partial to the latter myself but who knows when the Stray Cats will play again. I always try to catch Social D when they're back in OC.

Guess I'm just a "Sick Boy."

Yeah, the Hootenanny is a kick-ass time. Except last time I went they confiscated all the booze and other things that somehow got trapped in my waistband, pockets, and taped to my leg...

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-04-16 18:08 ]

That happens Bong.
Sten, as far as I know, the Cats are only doing this one date. There aren't any plans to get back together or anything. I've seen Social D more times than I can count so I gotta see the Cats while I can.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-04-16 20:29 ]

lucky bastards...............

I hear ya, Spike.

I missed them in the 80's but they did inspire me to cut my hair. Before that, I had the Greg Brady Afro! I may just have to go for both daze.

Hey Bong, same thing happened to me at Billy's. Two mai tai glasses confescated from the side pockets of my cargo shorts. I don't know how they found them!

As far as drinkin' at the Hootenany goes, I think most people tank up in the parking lot and try to avoid the $7 Bud Lights.

First I hear the Cramps are touring again, and now I hear the Stray Cats are together again too - even if it is for one show. What a great world!

I first saw the Stray Cats in 1982, in Boulder Co, in a converted movie theatre. I don't think their first U.S. LP had been released, but I was very familiar with their sound, as I had been listening to their British import LPs a lot at the time. It was definitely one of the best shows and most enthusiastic audiences that I have ever seen - even better than the Clash who played two days later at Red Rocks.

Vern

The 5th sounds pretty great to me, John Doe and Exene! Hey Bong, you need to wear a bra to effectively smuggle. Amazing how baggies filled with vodka seem so natural tucked in there...

Bong,
Don't you know anything about smuggling contraband into music events. Your supposed to stick it in a balloon & swallow it right before you go in. I admit passing a bottle of 151 isn't the most pleasant experience, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I'd start out with the airline bottles if I were you. Of course bringing a date dressed in a nun's habit is another way of getting shit in, depending on how kinky the security goons are.

S

On the rockabilly note: Kiliki and I's favorite "roots pop" act just recorded their latest CD and is doing another tour soon. If you don't know Cave Catt Sammy, you should. They are simply the best. Watch for them in your city!

http://www.cavecattsammy.com

What a line up. The Blasters alone are worth the trip. Dave Alvin is great, but brother Phil gets way too little recognition. If you ever run across his first solo album "Unsung Stories" pick it up. He also has a great scene in the movie "Streets of Fire" (also starring Lee Ving & a very young & vicious Willem Defoe).Used to see the Paladins a lot at a place on La Brea called the Cathay de Grande (I wonder if this place is the Lava Lounge now) big rockabilly venue, you could find yourself sittin' at the bar with Ray Campi on your right and Levi Dexter three stools down. Also gotta see Social D. I'll be there early.

L

I second the vote for Cave Catt Sammy- they are really, really good. Also, the Blue Moon Boys are another kick-ass rockabilly band.

I like the Blue Moon Boys too. I recently started getting in to a band from England called Restless. I don't think they are still together but their greatest hits cd is really really good.

The Stray Cats will be playing at The Pacific Amphitheater July 22nd. Tickets go on sale today at 10:00am

yup. Got em. So all the rest if you, have at em. Haha. That was funny reading my post from back in '03.... Time warp baby....
by the way, this is supposed to be their farewell show.....again... No other us dates listed as of now. Maybe the last time to see jim, lee, and brian up on stage together again.

On 2008-05-25 14:31, Luckydesigns wrote:

by the way, this is supposed to be their farewell show.....again... No other us dates listed as of now. Maybe the last time to see jim, lee, and brian up on stage together again.

ya right!

how many times have the Who said that too!

( it's the super high electric bill for my mansion tour!!
part 657!!)

Anyone going????

Tuesday 7/22/08 at the Pacific Amphitheater (O.C. Fairgrounds)! :P We will be there! :P

WooHoo! We're ready to "Rock This Town" SoccerTiki, Makedamug, Go-Go, Dani, Tigerlily and I are sitting in Section 7. Riptide's in Section 2. If you're at the concert too we hope to see you :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-07-23 10:15 ]

Well by the looks of these pictures, I met some of you at the stray cats show, or rather after it. It would be nice to see you all again, I know I told you about the free Rockabilly Brunch shows but here's all the info again for all of you.

Yes it's true they are completely free (except with the exception of Aug 3rd but it's free if you get there before 2pm), with parking too! They are all ages so you can bring your children along with you. We have a full bar and offer up a great brunch too.

Here's some up coming shows,

Hillbilly DJ Jeff W presents Safari Sam's Brunch Americana
Best of all It's free and all ages! Sunday's starting at noon
Bringing you the best of Rockabilly, Hillbilly & Great Food!

SCHEDULE FOR JULY & AUGUST

July 27th Rip Carson, Rockin' Ryan & The Sidewynders

Aug 3rd The Smith Ranch Boys, Deke Dickerson, Karling Abbeygate and The Dimestore Band (This is the only show that is free only until 2pm after that it's $7) This one will also have BBQ food!

Aug 10th Brian Jay and The Last Call Boys, Captain Jeffrey and The Chumbuckets & more TBA

Aug 17th The B-Stars, Marty Smith and The Mooneyham's Buddy & Suzy

Aug 24th Eleven Hundred Springs, West Of Texas & The last Americans

Aug 31st TBA

Safari Sam's 5214 W Sunset blvd, Hollywood Ca 323-666-7267

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-07-24 15:00 ]

I've seen the Cats 7 times & I'm really gettin antsy waiting for a U.S. tour! Anybody heard any rumors?!?!

On 2008-07-26 15:31, Big Kahuna wrote:
I've seen the Cats 7 times & I'm really gettin antsy waiting for a U.S. tour! Anybody heard any rumors?!?!

They were billing this show as the "only US appearance"...I know they toured last summer. By the way, good running into some of the TC crowd at the show. Nice to finally meet Holden MakeDaMug and talk Long Beach and punk rock! And nice to see WooHoo, Soccer, and others out of aloha shirts for once :lol:

Florida sux sometimes....You Cali kids got it good. except for the fires, earthquakes, congested highways and real estate prices.
Well, heading out to check my hurricane shutters and fix the neighbors foreclosure sign that the "blue hair" just backed over.

Pages: 1 22 replies