Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

ISO Tiki Lava Lamp

Pages: 1 14 replies

TZ

Hope this isn't a double post - the first attempt got lost when I used spell check.

Several years ago we purchased a tiki lava lamp at Target - red lava with a tiki-head topper. My youngest son loved it, and it occupied a place of honor in his bedroom - until an accident sent it crashing to its doom. Since then I've been checking e-bay, but none have surfaced. I wonder if perhaps someone has one gathering dust they would be willing to sell.

Offering a good home, and more protected location.

Is this the one you're looking for?

[ Edited by: tikigreg 2009-09-23 10:14 ]

TZ

Can't quite tell from your photo if it is the same, but here is a photo I found on th web of what we had.

Have you thought about taking a standard lava lamp globe and using your base? Or did the base unit get broken also?

assuming the base and top are still in one peice it should be pretty easy to pick up a spare globe at a thrift store. i have gotten several complete or partial lava lamps thrifting for around $5

TZ

The glass part was shattered. I wish I had thought of trying to salvage the base, but we tossed it.

Tiki Zen, I've got one of those exact lava lamps including the original box. As you can see, mine has red lava and blueish, somewhat cloudy liquid. I've seen how to fix the cloudiness, but haven't gotten around to it.

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2009-09-25 13:28 ]

TZ

That's the one.

B

Same idea, different design:

J
Jetson posted on Fri, Oct 9, 2009 6:15 PM

I tried looking for one, and can't find any anywhere. :( Bongo Bungalow, does it say on the box who makes it?

I am selling one of those lamps tomorrow at my garage sale!

PTD

T

AFAIK, these were sold only by Spencer Gifts. I'm, a lava lamp collector, even beyond tiki-anything. I've seen only one base design so far. They were offered only in the two colors, which are the "big two" color combinations used by nearly all of the knockoffs: red in violet, and yellow in blue. eBay is the best bet on these, unless Psycho Tiki D will sell you his.

As for opening and unclouding these, first ask on oozinggoo.com's science section. There are variopus techniques for unclouding - some involve opening (this style is particularly difficult to reclose) and others do not.

You can also hunt for the bottles from this style (see attached) which is called the "Hot Rock Lite", a feeble attempt to call it a "Lava Lite" without using the word 'lava' and incurring the wrath of the trademark-holder. These should fit the tiki lamp. They might be one size larger - unfortunately I can't remember, I own a Hot Rock but not the tiki lamp. Came in the same two colors, too.

TZ

Boutiki hooked us up on this - thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

H

I see this original post is pretty old, but if you're still looking, there are two on Ebay right now. Like you, I bought mine at Target and was looking for a replacement. My lamp was cloudy and not working well. I considered bidding on the Ebay lamp, but after turning it on and wrapping it in foil for the better part of the day, the wax became unstuck from the side and began flowing again. The water looks more clear as well.

N

Pages: 1 14 replies