Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What is the most requested cocktail in your home bar?

Pages: 1 8 replies

For a long time I had requests for nothing but Margaritas and Pina Coladas. Now that I have some repeat customers at the home bar they have a better idea of the range of cocktails to try. But as it stands right now the most requested cocktail is the Blue Hawaii. Oh and beer which if want some you have to bring your own but I'll supply the rum. Just wondering what other folks are getting requests for in your home bars.

I usually get requests for the golden oldies like gin martinis, Manhattans and Rob Roys. I'm pretty much the only one in my family who regularly guzzles tiki cocktails and I often get odd looks when I lay out my arsenal of a dozen bottles on the table. However, my brother was converted to Tikism after he fell in love with Hot Buttered Rum last Xmas.

Mai Tais, followed by Navy Grogs, Manhattans, Old Fashions & classic 3:1 Martinis. although there is some seasonal varience, of course.

Kapu-Kai
Always requested by Mrs K-H

S

Nui Nui, 151 Swizzles and Don Beach's Navy Grog. But I was a little surprised and dismayed that the Kahiki Mystery Drink has been much requested.

You make 6 drinks that have 8-15 ingredients and are really top shelf and no real reaction. You make one Mystery Bowl with mostly pineapple juice and they all rave about the drink that tastes like Hawaiian Punch with a kick. "You can't taste the alcohol!" Wha? I want to taste the alcohol. If not tasting it is your goal, I'll pour vodka or PGA....

But we had lots of people over in the last month for the first time, so we'll see what they ask for next time. I made a wide variety last time.

I find myself making a lot of margaritas and blue Hawaiians. People will usually go for a mai tai if I suggest one.

I'm through wasting time on rum barrels, zombies and the like, unless I know the person will appreciate (or at least finish) it.

S

On 2009-09-24 10:07, Professor Pineapple wrote:
I find myself making a lot of margaritas and blue Hawaiians. People will usually go for a mai tai if I suggest one.

I'm through wasting time on rum barrels, zombies and the like, unless I know the person will appreciate (or at least finish) it.

I am with you there! I have wasted too much time and good rum serving a great drink to someone who really just wants a Painkiller or a Margarita.

I told the long tall tale of the 1943 Zombie Punch to a crowd at the bar on Labor Day weekend and when I finished, no one would take one! They were afraid! That was kind of cool. But then, not having anyone swoon over it much was just wrong...

BTW, I do serve a lot of Margaritas (traditional recipe) in the bar. I left that off the list. If I choose, I serve a Mai Tai just because it's simple and there's a good chance they have heard of it, or maybe had one served to them before, and I can give them their first real one and get a nice reaction. For a group I generally start with a pitcher of Derby Daiquiris.

Manorhattans (The Lund Manor's take on a Manhattan), Mai Tais, and, oddly enough, Voodoo Priestess'.

Coronado Luau Special. Lots of ingredients, but it is always a hit at our parties and social gatherings. The second favorite is the Chief Lapu Lapu from Beachbum Berry's book. I think our friends in general like the orange citrus flavor with rum.

I finally got a ceramic water dispenser with inverted polycarb 2 gallon container, and make a HUGE batch as the party starts. Then I can enjoy the party too without being stuck behind the bar. Vinyl Hawaiian and Tiki stickers decorate the dispenser, but it still isn't as fun as Holden's cold Mai Tai dispenser, just cheaper and easier to clean up.

Aloha! and Okole Maluna... :drink:

Pages: 1 8 replies