Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

How To Darken Lines?

Pages: 1 7 replies

I just finished carving my first tiki, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how to darken the lines on my tiki like in this picture?

L

Welcome on TC Danny!

To darken line you can torching it or, more simply, stain it before re-sanding. If the lines are fairly deep stain will stay inside...

Hope this help!

J.

Some people even use spray paint in the grooves. Sand away the over spray.

P

I put the torch on it & then sand the charr off the spots that I don't want to be blackened.

[ Edited by: pjc5150 2009-09-26 12:05 ]

Awesome thanks guys!, I'll do that tommorow, and post pictures of the finished tiki

S

Torch does not get in deep cuts well. After you torch, take a stiff bristle brush to rub it in a bit and clean up. But, Better to put some paint or stain in the cuts first.

Thanks guys, I tried the torch to darken the lines, the torch I used though, the flame was too big, so I inverted my idea. Here is the finished Tiki, Im pretty happy with it for my first tiki, but the body couldve done with more work.

i agree w swanky. i usualy burn all areas i want dark sand off any over burn then take black enamal paint and thin w paint thinner or mineral spirits till watery kinda makes a black stain. then apply w small brush and rubb it in w my finger or cloth or what ever will fit to blend it in w the burn to look natural. all of these ideas are great just puttin that out there. good luck!! cheers!

Pages: 1 7 replies