Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Movie Stills As Classic Drinks

Pages: 1 9 replies

O

I've been thinking of doing a series of small velvet paintings each representing different classic tropical drinks. I like the idea of using movie stills of personalities from old movies and have been cruising the internet for interesting photos. I've got a few I like but wanted to see what T.C. might come up with. Rules: Classic well known drinks, no modern specialty concoctions. Movie stills from the era when the drinks were first made or popular (no Brittany Spears Mai Tais please). And character, movie, and actor information if possible.

'Singapor Sling'
''Anna May Wong

'Navy Grog'
Captain Queeg, Cain Mutany, Humphrey Bogart,

'Blue Hawaii'
Chad Gates, Blue Hawaii, Elvis Presley

'Fu Manchu'
?

'Suffering Bastard'
Ugarte, Casablanca, Peter Lorre

'Zombie'
?

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2009-09-26 17:48 ]

Fun idea! Here's a couple to consider.

The first one is Mutiny on the Bounty with Marlon Brando. I like the wahine in the pic, but I'm sure you could find another still with just Brando. This is for The Mutiny Cocktail (not in Beachbum Berry's books but appears to be a classic older drink).

Mutiny Cocktail

1 1/2 oz Dark rum
2 dashes Bitters
1/2 oz Dubonnet Rouge
1 Maraschino Cherry

In a mixing glass half-filled with ice cubes, combine the rum, Dubonnet, and bitters.
Stir well.
Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with the cherry.

The second is a still from Tabu (also called Tabu, a Story of the South Seas), a 1931 film directed by F.W. Murnau. I originally chose this for the Tahitian (page 80 Grog Log) but I just noticed it's one of the Bum's creations. Darn. However, it could still be used for the Polynesian Spell Cocktail (on page 65) which was originally used at the Kahiki or the Polynesian Paralysis (page 64) which are both vintage drinks.

[ Edited by: Trader Tom 2009-09-26 18:24 ]

A nice concept, sort of related to, or a "reverse engineered" version of the original Hollywood star cocktail concept:

While Don The Beachcomber had personalized chopsticks for his film actor clientele, Harry "Sugie" Sugarman, who had the connections to the Film community because he was the manager of Grauman's Chinese theater for a while, thought of a way to transfer the "hand-and-footprint-in-concrete" celebrity signature concept to his "Tropics" restaurant in Beverly Hills (which later became the Luau). The Tropics' original cocktail menu featured a long list of personal drink favorites which fit the name or persona of the actor:

(This is just the top third of the menu)

How about Dorothy Lamour in the 1937 film The Hurricane for the drink by the same name?

I'll try to think of more...

And there's always my favorite....

The Hop Sing

S

Vicious Virgin
Liz Taylor
Taming of the Shrew

T

Of course, the Fu Manchu photo goes with the Dr. Fong / Dr. Funk so often found on Chinese restaurant tropical drink menus in the midwest/East coast.

On 2009-09-28 09:31, Swanky wrote:

Vicious Virgin
Liz Taylor
Taming of the Shrew

Hilarious! Perfect!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

O

Does this thread have to die? We've gotten some fantastic responses from some very astute Tiki experts. Maybe I should turn this thing around and let people put up photos that need drinks (again, let's be serious).

Some photos I love that those in the know should be able to recognize:

Classic Velvets
by Song Shen

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2009-10-01 08:40 ]

This makes me think of Dr. Funk

DC

Pages: 1 9 replies