Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Trader Vic's WH Sale

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

In honor of the Trader Vic's warehouse sale 2009 I carved a TV plaque. Carved from African Bubinga.

B

Most Excellent piece of work there TikiVic, Welcome back to TikiCentral, I see it's been awhile since you've posted anything. I've just gone through your posts with heavily mixed emotions but I am Happy to see you still out and about and still carving with this Incredible panel. That Bubinga is Beautiful stuff and Very hard, but a pleasure to carve with sharp tools, and it looks like you have those sharp tools.
do you have any other carvings floating around you would like to post, We would Really love to see more?
Thanks for sharing!

T

Thanks Benzart!!! Here's a Maori style carved in Mahogany.......

Geesh TikiVic, between the above two items and the work seen in this post:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29974&forum=7&vpost=411213
I'm almost under the impression you're using some sort of computer controlled laser carving device. Your precision work is quite impressive!

B

WOW, T-Vic, now you are Really pourin' it on, That is just the other side of Incredible! What are the tools you are using, How large/small is it, how long did it take and where Izzit? Don't you always get those ?'s ? Unlike the Makore, the mahogany is very "chippy" and Un-forgiving but is still the premier carving wood.
Here is the one Hakalugi was referring to, might as well get it up here too?
Vic, aren't there more carvings you have done you can share too?
This Maori piece really strikes the right nerve, you Know that's my favorite.

and More yet........

T

Very astute of you Hakalugi.......they're carved on a CNC machine!

Benzart.....actually on the CNC the harder the wood the easier it is to work, although the exception to that so far is Shedua (which runs around 1650 on the Janka) because I found it's quite fibrous and tends to tear out. But it is beautiful......kind of a poor man's Rosewood. By comparison the Bubinga runs around 2700 Janka. I have a set of Buck Brothers carving tools which work well for final finishing. Here's a couple of pieces I recently finished (a plaque for a neighbor and a relief that will go over my mother's fireplace)....also a pic of a custom light switch cover I fabricated.........all the best, Vic

B

WOAH! Vic. I Knew you had more stuff, Thanks fro taking the time to post more photos, I appreciate it and am Sure most others here do too. More Ahh-Some stuff too.wow, those Old Style dolphins are my Fav's as far as dolphins go.
Yes, I can see the harder the wood the better on that unit. I think Brad Howlland has one he's been having fun with but I'm not sure he's gotten as detailed as you with the faces..
How would you like to trade something for one of those Maori heads??

Thanks Again

Aloha TikiVic, not to be confused with JungleTraderVic. I noticed your website "aridjungle" and the font is similar or same as my own website "tikijungle" Nice work you have here.

H

That's GREAT stuff! Benzart is right, I do own the Craftsman CompuCarve, is that what you use? I just have been slow at getting to know the design software b/c I just don't have time. I do graphic design for a living so it's hard to finish work and then stay on the computer to figure out other stuff. I think I've been inspired though now.

H

I'd like to see more shots of your bar/room. It looks massive!

T

Benzart.....I would be flattered to trade.....I'll send you a PM.

Howland....See this link for my CNC:

http://www.shopbottools.com/

Also....check my website for some pics of the room (still under construction...aren't they all?) Pics are a little dated when I get time I'll update. It's not really large, but it is 2 stories high!

http://www.aridjungle.com/

FYI...thanks for all the inspiration your pics have given me the last few years!

Pages: 1 10 replies