Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

bev hills trader vic's entrance tiki saved!

Pages: 1 10 replies

I posted this under the Trader Vic's warehouse sale but thought it might merit an announcement of it's own.

Chris Nichols of the LA Conservancy's Modern Committee sent out an email last week asking if anyone was aware that the demolition of the facade of the Beverly Hills Hilton Trader Vic's was underway. He asked if there were any plans to save the big entrance figure.

Apparently, TV's in Oakland wasn't aware as they aren't in too much contact with the Hilton management any more. In fact, the decor from the interior was all retained by the Hilton.

Turns out that the big tiki was going to hit the chopping block over the weekend!

Even with the insanity of the TV warehouse sale going on, Kier contacted the remaining people at the poolside TV's had them halt the demolition!

Trader Vic's has managed to save not only the giant tiki figure, but also the great yellow neon sign as well!

Thanks, Trader Vic's! Chalk up one for the good guys!

Kudos for you Tiki1963 for simply communicating this, and the Trader Vic's folks for coming to the rescue. We all knew this was going to happen and had sort of given up, this is an example of being there at the right place at the right time and doing to right thing!

T

Whew! Good news, this.

Sad that its finally going away,
but great news that it got saved.
thanks for the note.

Jeff(btd)

...the funny part is, when I called Kier, I was mainly trying to claim the neon sign for myself!!!

Glad they are keeping it and the big guy!

AF

Thanks for the good news Tiki1963! I wondered if the big guy was going to end up in someones backyard or if Vic's was just waiting to move him. Glad to hear that some LA Tiki history will live on instead of being destroyed.
I took these photos earlier this year on a trip to the pool side bar for a Mai Tai, which was the best I've ever had. I'm only sad I didn't have a chance to see this Vic's in its Glory days...if I had only gotten Tiki fever 20 years ago...

C

EXCELLENT News!
So happy they were able to be saved!!!!

Great work, Kier & Tiki1963!!!

T

Mahalo to Chris Nichols for bringing this to everyone's attention! And mahalo to Trader Vic's for saving it!

On 2009-09-29 16:05, thejab wrote:
Mahalo to Chris Nichols for bringing this to everyone's attention! And mahalo to Trader Vic's for saving it!

Definitely!

deleted

[ Edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2009-10-01 23:24 ]

N

[ Edited by: nichols 2010-02-22 13:54 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies