Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Tiki Band -- NOT!!!

Pages: 1 20 replies

This is just so horrible that I just had to pass it along. Do we have some kind of legal recourse to put an end to this and keep it from happening in the future?

http://www.tikiband.com/

T

Geez, they even used SHAG art on the site. The Nerve....

I dunno.. they play a mean version of The Time's Jungle Love...

"The Tiki Band performs a wide variety of 60's - 90's light classic tunes with an emphasis on Jimmy Buffett and Van Morrison -type songs."

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Well.....

if a Tiki Bar has to have a Tiki inside of it, then they can be a Tiki Band because they have a Tiki on stage with them.

Besides, they are in Florida so only a few of us really need to worry about them. I think the Rockies should provide some protection for everyone else.

Ooohh!!! I missed their playlist the first time through the site.....

Summer In The City
Jammin'
Margaritaville
Kokomo
Moondance
Barometer Soup
Jump In The Line
I Shot The Sheriff
Hello, It's Me
Fins
In The Summertime
Moonlight Feels Right
Island In The Sun

When are they coming to my town?

seriously!

When are they coming. I think a cheesy cover band with a tiki sounds like a riot! And I'll sneak some real Mai Tais into the show in my multiple flasks.

On 2009-10-01 20:39, Chip and Andy wrote:
Well.....
they can be a Tiki Band because they have a Tiki on stage with them.

Is that what that is?

;P

On 2009-10-01 21:26, Haole'akamai wrote:

Is that what that is?

;P

They think so......

judging from the tikis eyes, even the tiki went blind with horror!!!

A

On 2009-10-01 20:42, Chip and Andy wrote:
Ooohh!!! I missed their playlist the first time through the site.....

Summer In The City
Jammin'
Margaritaville
Kokomo
Moondance
Barometer Soup
Jump In The Line
I Shot The Sheriff
Hello, It's Me
Fins
In The Summertime
Moonlight Feels Right
Island In The Sun

What!? No "Pina Colada Song"? OK, now I really am pissed off.

On 2009-10-02 09:29, arriano wrote:

What!? No "Pina Colada Song"? OK, now I really am pissed off.

No. They do have Walking On Sunshine for whatever that's worth.

Wow, I almost missed this thread, glad I didn't, or I wouldn't have believed it. If one would want to parody Tiki revival devolution, one couldn't do a better job. So bad it's good. :lol:

T

I knew I shouldn't have read this... now I'm hoping that the Tikiyaki Orchestra can pull off an exotica remake of I Shot the Sheriff.

On 2009-10-07 07:04, TikiMango wrote:
I knew I shouldn't have read this... now I'm hoping that the Tikiyaki Orchestra can pull off an exotica remake of I Shot the Sheriff.

Cripes, that would be delicious.

M
MrFab posted on Wed, Oct 7, 2009 11:16 AM

I'd throw away all my Les Baxter albums just to hear them do Seals and Croft's "Summer Breeze."

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Oct 7, 2009 11:47 AM

WHAT? The Tiki Band doesn't offer up any selections off of 'Whipped Cream & Other Delights'? or 'The Partridge Family Shopping Bag'? :wink:

Are these people not members of the American Federation of Musicians Local 655? What Gives?!

On their behalf I'm told this swingin duo...duo a killer 'Brandy' - Melissa tears up the keys ala Jerry Lee & Tony rips the most distorted fuzz-tone outta that teardrop guitar...

...long live husband and wife acts :)

T
twitch posted on Fri, Oct 9, 2009 6:25 AM

Other than a seriously-recommended name-change - more power to 'em.
The same tunes, unfortunately, I am forced to hear in their original forms twice a day every day @ work on a piped-in 'soft rock' station...

Q

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

The Captian & Tennille shot is priceless, but that website definitely falls under the catagory of guilty pleasures. I wonder how "Walking on Sunshine" would sound on a Casio with "marimba" selected on the sound bank?

If you like their sound, make sure you take your Tiki Money out of your Tiki Wallet and put it in the band Tiki Tip Cup, sitting on top of the Tiki next to the bands Tiki Stage.

On 2009-10-07 07:04, TikiMango wrote:

I don't know about an exotica version of "I Shot the Sheriff" but there is available a version on a CD called Keep It Burning -- The Hawaiian Tribute to Bob Marley, where all the songs are played by a Hawaiian combo (lap steel guitar, slack-key guitar, ukulele and vibes along with bass and percussion). I find this unusual because Hawaii sports a number of perfectly respectable reggae bands that mostly perform original compositions. I find the performance of most of the songs a bit languid for my taste. The best songs on the CD in my opinion are "One Love," Exodus" and "Jamming." It was issued by CMH Records, which also issued a bluegrass CD tribute to Marley as well, although I haven't heard that one yet. For more information, see here: http://www.cmhrecords.com/web/page.asp?pgs=product&id=1215

S

i have to agree, their version of jungle love led me straight over to my personal dance floor, so i could cut up thee rug so to speak! that dude has some rad 60's style surf guitars as well. i give em a 2 thumbs up. they are a tiki phenomenon!

Pages: 1 20 replies