Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Original Hina Rapa Edward Leeteg painting

Pages: 1 7 replies

Not my auction , however these rarely come up for sale.Hina Rapa is one of the most famous
and copied images ever created by Leeteg.This really needs a new appraisal done by someone
like Sothebys caliber to accurately appraise this .Not sure the market will bare that price
based on the current market and economy, but you never know.I would sure like to own this
piece that's for sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170388101047&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.sothebys.com/services/appraisals/

I wonder if this painting is authentic? Seller has 0 feedback and no picture of signature on painting or the letter?? I've seen two Hina Rapa originals (Billys in Newport Beach and the Waldorf in Vancouver B.C)
and this one doesn't compare to either one. I might be wrong, but I would do my due diligence on this one. My guess is the most someone would pay in this economy is ten grand.

I live three minutes from Billy's and have cherished that Leeteg above the bar since Billy
put it there years ago.I would venture to say this could be authenticated by the right
knowledgeable reputable person .This is 2 ft x 3 ft so it is the right size of the originals .
This would look great in my place next to my two other Leeteg Hina Rapas.One is a authorized
Davis gallery copy and the other is a 1957 authorized print on special paper .

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2009-10-05 15:39 ]

B

I think the price is high so I don't know if there is a need for authentication. If I had that much money to spend I would go check it out in person.....it is in Hawaii after all.

Xlnt point Ron .

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Oct 8, 2009 10:30 AM

I see the auction ended with no takers at $15,000.00

I'm curious to see if the seller re-posts at a lower price.

More curious to see if there's a buyer.

Interesting market dynamic right now.

M

This one has already been listed on ebay multiple times in the past couple months, with no price change, so I doubt the seller will go down much...

So it will never sell.Even in a good economy $5,000-$10,000 tops is what I have seen
in the past .

Pages: 1 7 replies