Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Creating my first glass float!

Pages: 1 5 replies

Ok so it's really not a glass float, but for my first try at attempting tiki, I would say it's not half bad...:P I've been looking at glass floats online and I just love the way they look! (especially lit up) So I thought I would go ahead and take a stab at it. With high hopes of getting this done, my hopes came to a halt when I found out that there were no glass floats with holes cut in them out there. After hours of researching, I finally found some but they were expensive! >:O I didnt have the tools or the funds to get it done professionally, so I chose a different route - the economical route...lol...I went to good ol' Marshalls and found this round vase ($4.50)

They actually had many other colors and sizes to chose from. But of course they're not floats, they're vases...

I also found this cool bamboo vase which is gonna' be my next project!

I sprayed the vase with this spray I got at wal-mart ($4.29). It gave it a cool frosted look :)

I made the net out of some jute-twine which I got from wal-mart as well ($2.49)
I bought the socket at Home Depot ($4.98) and the bulb ($2.50). And I ran into my first problem...The light bulb was small enough to go into the vase but the socket was to big so I was only able to light the vase from atop by sitting it ontop instead of having the light bulb in the middle of the float like all the other floats I have seen. Here is the socket...

I put the net over the vase, put the bulb in, tied twine all around the neck of the vase, aswell as around the socket and some of the wire and Viola!!! A lighted glass float!!!

So thats what $18.76 will get ya! :D

L

I think you did a great job with a pretty random object!

Nice Job! you know I was in Ross not long back and they had one very similar although it was smooth and red... ya.. but I was going to do this..

I like the Tiki Modern Ball on the left as well..

Hahaha....thanks guys. Gotta love the good ol' disco ball :wink:

HJ

That float lamp is beyond cool!

Gotta go and make one o' them. Thanks for sharing.

Your light is better looking than the original float lights, good job, Wendy

Pages: 1 5 replies