Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The world's smallest tiki room

Pages: 1 8 replies

T

http://www.rexrhino.com/condo/Dsc01593.jpg

Here's the pic of our den in the new condo we're moving into next month (that's not me in it, that's my aunt). It's 6.5 feet x 6.5 feet. In it will go my husband's dark wood desk, which will hold mysterious electonic bleepy and bloopy thingys, and a computer. The rest of what's left will be my space to do up all tiki-style. So, uh, any suggestions on how to work with a space that small? The good thing is, any tiki's you put in there will instantly look bigger!

The other idea is to not do the world's smallest tiki room, but instead to just put a shelf all along the wall above the kitchen cabinets and line up the tiki mug collection above there, and then just hang the tretchikoffs and Hina Rapa and other tiki art in the livingroom area... so just keep the tiki vibe low-key and not bust out the grass matting or anything (The cluttered beachcomber look wouldn't quite work with the modern design and the huge windows).
http://www.rexrhino.com/condo/Dsc01590.jpg

Back seat designers... you may begin!

T

I like the later idea. Spread it around. My bar is located at the end of our basement hallway due to space limitations in our townhouse. It looks like you've got an awesome view with those windows. Congrats to You and Mr Fish!

Yeah I like the spread it around idea too. Then you'll look like ultra-chic jet-setters with a "world collection". I think you should build a display case or wall-hung unit similar to that built-in you had in the apt. for your mugs, I really liked the way that looked.

T

Isn't there a tiki bathroom in the book "Pad"? That may give you some ideas.

HOLY SMOKES! That's not a den, it's a closet (except in NYC where it would be a "Cozy, sunny 1 bedroom) :D

T

Well, Toronto isn't far behind NY in terms of cost of living. Hence the closi-den.

I would loved to have bought an Eichler, but I couldn't find one downtown! :)

E

This is weird Tikifish...my computer and Tiki stuff are also housed in a room about those dimensions, moved on the 14th and it was the first thing I set up. I promised Mrs. emspace I wouldn't do that, but she smiled knowingly and even helped...

It has a window on one side and a set of sliding doors with curtains on the other, though. It's called a "sunroom" by the builders. "Good grow-op potential" would be a better seller around these parts.

:) emspace.

that kitchen looks really promising, i see a lanai roof over the island and a few barstools, lots of mug shelves.

good luck; nuthin' better than a new tiki hut challenge!

J

On 2003-04-26 20:15, inkylouise wrote:
nuthin' better than a new tiki hut challenge!

Sounds like an idea for a new HGTV show!

Pages: 1 8 replies