Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki in Florida Keys?

Pages: 1 19 replies

D
dcman posted on Sun, Oct 11, 2009 2:41 PM

We're thinking about going to the Keys this winter. Is there much tiki down there? Can anyone give me any suggestions of where to visit?

Thanks!

dcman

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2015-10-19 13:29 ]

D
dcman posted on Sun, Oct 11, 2009 5:41 PM

We plan on being in the Islamorada area mostly. While we might head down to Key West, it's not a guarantee. Our definition is fluid, it's hard to anything but laid back down there :)

dcman

when are you going? I'll be driving to so fla and the keys mid-feb thru late march.
ft laud 2-4 days ,key largo,2-3 days,key west2-3 days, back to key largo,2-3 days.back to ft laud,,2-3 days,then back north.only a couple things on my schedule are in ink ,the rest is all in pencil.

chip,what resort in key largo is all tiki?

Remember that the Florida Keys are ground zero for Parrotheads and Key West is their Mecca. I don't know of a single place that fits the TC definition of "tiki". And remember that you are 90 miles from Cuba and a LONG way from the South Pacific, so the vibe is going to be totally different. Be prepared for mucho Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet and Bob Marley. Keeping that in mind, there are some pretty nice places that have the tropical feel.

• Across from the Sunset Inn in Islamorada is a tiki carver previously mentioned on TC. Last heard that he passed away. I would be interested in hearing what became of his place.

• Two doors down from the tiki carver is a nice cafe that has some nice tiki features. They also feature some good food, a great dog (stay away from his stuffed bear) and box lunches to go if you are going out on the boat.

• The Lorelei has some really nice outdoor dining with a sand beach and some nice big gas tikis.

• The World Wide Sportsman has a full sized replica of Hemmingway's boat "Pilar" INSIDE the store. Besides some OK dining outside, check out the Zane Grey lounge. A very cool bar with some great memorabilia inside.

• The Safari Lounge and package store is a cool locals only kind of place. Cheap drinks and a great view. You can't miss the Rhino out front. MM 73.8

• The Island Fish Company in Marathon has a great view of the water.

• If you are just driving through Marathon, definitely try Herbie's. Look for the submarine out front.

• If you make it to Key West, you have to swing by Blue Heaven for the funkiness factor. But remember that it has been discovered by the touristas, so choose an off time to go.

• If you are driving down, be sure to stop by the Coral Castle in Homestead.

• And of course, the Mai Kai cannot be recommended enough.

Please report your impressions when you get back.

On 2009-10-11 16:40, Chip and Andy wrote:
How fluid is your definition of Tiki?

There is actually quite a bit of Tiki in the Keys, an entire Resort of it on Key Largo. Are you going all the way to Key West?

What is that Resort on Key Largo?

On 2009-10-20 23:15, christiki295 wrote:

On 2009-10-11 16:40, Chip and Andy wrote:
How fluid is your definition of Tiki?

There is actually quite a bit of Tiki in the Keys, an entire Resort of it on Key Largo. Are you going all the way to Key West?

What is that Resort on Key Largo?

I asked that very same question.
I spend alot of time in Key Largo and the Keys ,but I can't figure which resort he means.
doesn't mean it's not there,I just can not picture it.

Yes, Holiday Isle is in Islamorada. You can't miss it. Just pass the "Theater of the Sea" with the big jumping dolphin out front. If you go down on a holiday weekend, you will see cars parked along the road well before you get there. Many people come down from the mainland (Miami) to party there.

If you go by on a weekend, look out to the SW as you cross the bridge and you might get to see the famous "sandbar". Loads of people ground their boats on either side of Windley Harbor channel and party. As seen on many Travel Channel specials as well as many "Cops" style real life cops shows.

You might want to swing by Whale Harbor itself. As a rule, it is a good idea to stay away from seafood buffets, but this is one of the few exceptions to the rule. It's worth a stop by just to peek inside the tabby lighthouse out front. There is a mark about 3/4 of the way up which is the high water mark from the 1935 Labor Day hurricane.

ok ,I know about Holiday Isle.There are some very interesting partys out on the sand bar just off shore from there.(wink,wink)
has anyone ever stayed at the under water hotel on Key Largo. I checked it out last march to make a reservation ,but after looking at it ,it seemed alittle
'low rent','half assed' run to me.I could be wrong.

On 2009-10-21 10:24, TIKI DAVID wrote:
ok ,I know about Holiday Isle.There are some very interesting partys out on the sand bar just off shore from there.(wink,wink)
has anyone ever stayed at the under water hotel on Key Largo. I checked it out last march to make a reservation ,but after looking at it ,it seemed alittle
'low rent','half assed' run to me.I could be wrong.

..seems low rent shouldn't be a problem for a veteran of those (wink-wink) parties at the sand bar....why so skiddish?

..seems low rent shouldn't be a problem for a veteran of those (wink-wink) parties at the sand bar....why so skiddish?
because it's 20feet under water

Heading down to the Hukilau next month and was thinking about heading to Holiday Isle for a Rum Runner. I'll be in Lauderdale a couple days before Hukilau starts so it wouldn't interfere with that... worth it?

Definitely try to get a convertible and try to go as far down the Keys as possible. Key Largo is really just the start of the Keys. You need to start hitting some of the big bridges down by Islamorada and Marathon before you really starting seeing how impressive the scenery in the Keys can be.

Another fun thing to do on your way back is to stop by the Coral Castle in Homestead. Especially going in the heat of June will give you some sense of the epic dedication/insanity it took to build the place. Not tiki, but pretty interesting anyway.

http://coralcastle.com/

Taking the interstate both ways is a great idea.

And I've been going to the Keys since I was in diapers and I have NEVER been in the Mutineer, nor known anybody who has actually been inside. What's it like?

*On 2010-05-04 09:55, TikiHardBop wrote:*I have NEVER been in the Mutineer, nor known anybody who has actually been inside. What's it like?

I was hoping I could talk you into going so you could tell me what its like.

:wink:

That's what everybody seems to say!

Thanks for the tips, but I think the keys will ahve to be another trip...too much in FtL/Miami to see.

Pages: 1 19 replies