Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Ebay floats?

Pages: 1 8 replies

D

Has anyone bought one of these floats and turned them into lights? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2523732567&category=37968
I am thinking about trying to make one, and just curious how happy you were with your float, was it a good buy?

T

I got the 3 float combo. I'd have to say i am really impressed with them considering the cost. Took a little over 2 weeks to get it, they said it was due to new shipments. Good seller.

A

I got a couple of those from the same seller I think, and they're swell. Dunno about the light project - maybe someday - but anyway they're pretty big and look nice hanging as is. I wouldn't be surprised if they're even cheaper elsewhere, but $20-30 plus $10 shipping ain't bad, compared to some crazy prices I've seen.

-Randy

S

The lamp thing is a difficult project. To make it a lamp, you must make it translucent, not clear. How? Your guess. Maybe cut the top open and spray it? Maybe take the rope off and spray the outside. Word is that if you try to drill it, it will likely break. So, just hang it and enjoy it.

I'd opt to keep it clear myself, I think the floats make great lamps clear. And with so many decorative bulbs available, I think it could look pretty awesome!

The tough part is just getting a hole into it.... remember those glass cutting kits to turn beer bottles into wine glasses? I wonder if that could be a help.... if I could just get a starter hole going....

Lamp and lighting stores will drill holes in vases and stuff to be wired as lamps, they might could do it to a float too. (Hasn't this come up already?) I wonder if that glass etching solution poured inside would give it the translucence, which I imagine you'd want so as not to see the glare of the bulb?

D

Thanks for all the tips, I know I've seen posts about this before, but my searching previous posts skills are seriously lacking. Thanks - Dawn

Check out the Main Discussion Area for Post...back in early December ref glass float lights...I think Two Wheelin' Tiki was making some if I'm not mistaken.
Aloha

[ Edited by: Tiki Rider Five-O on 2003-04-18 21:13 ]

D

Thanks Tiki Rider I found it!

Pages: 1 8 replies