Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Castillo Rum - Puerto Rican No More?

Pages: 1 2 replies

In recent years, I've used Castillo as my cheaper "everyday" Puerto Rican rum (gold and silver). Years ago, I used Ron Rico, but somewhere along the way, it dropped "Puerto Rican" from the label, and became "Caribbean" rum.
Well, I hadn't been paying attention, until the other day, when I noticed Castillo has done the same thing. I'm not sure exactly how long ago, but has to have been in the last year or two. Check the picture comparison of an empty bottle I still had.
I've seen a number of posts, saying that Castillo is simply "off-branded" Bacardi. Is it still Puerto Rican? Seems not.
The copy on the newer labels has been re-worded to remove any claim to being Puerto Rican rum. Also, it used to say "DISTILLED AND BOTTLED BY RON DE CASTILLO Y CIA, SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO". The words "Distilled and" are gone, now.

I don't have time now, but if you want to follow up. Here's some contact info I found where you might get you answer.

Mr. John Gomez
Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer

Marketing for general rums report here. General Rums include Bacardi Superior (Light), Gold,
Castillo (Silver, Gold, & Spiced), Party Drinks, and Mixers. For Bacardi Flavors, see Paul Francis.
Assistant: Ms. Libbey Garcia

I can almost guarantee that the rum is no longer exclusively from PR, but rather a blend of cheap rum from wherever they could get it in the islands.

This contact can probably tell you what percentage is still from PR and what islands furnish the remainder that forces them to have dropped the PR from their label.

A

I can't say I would be surprised by this development. Between Bacardi and Captain Morgan's I'm surprised there's enough molasses produced on the island to make any other rum. And consider that the most popular rum in PR is neither of the above mentioned, but Don Q instead.

Pages: 1 2 replies