Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Brendan Mullen - RIP

Pages: 1 2 replies

J

The founder of LA's Masque Club passed away on Mon, Oct 12, 2009. He had a massive stroke.

LA Times Link.

Was anyone on TC part of the original Hollywood Punk Rock scene ?

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-13 12:41 ]

He was a real character, I remember he was always trying to put out fires at the Masque "i.e. Drama" on any given night, there was always something going down in the alley, but I remember him more from Club Lingerie, I am Flashing back! ,The Masque, Club Lingerie,Al's Bar, Zero Zero club, Cathay LaGrande,Starwood etc. I remember sitting with Levi (of Levi & the Rockets) one night at the Cathay, Billy Idol shows up right off the plane from England, god he was an ass!

I am trying to remember the last location of the Masque after it moved, just forgot where? , The Zero Zero jumped around a bit.

Sorry, I have forgotten so many of the gigs, clubs, from back then.

Unfortunately I was too late for the Masque but did get to make it to Club Lingerie, Cathay de Grande, the Starwood and the Fleetwood (for The Decline of Western Civilization show). That was such a great time in music history. I remember the Cathay was more of a rock-a-billy scene, with bands like Jimmy and the Mustangs, The Paladins and Ray Campi and the Rockabilly Rebels. A few other bands that drew my attention then: the Alleycats, the Bags, the Gears and the Angry Samoans. R.I.P. Brendan..."The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly".

Pages: 1 2 replies