Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Shingle Stain Glass ~ Does it have a name?

Pages: 1 18 replies

I noticed in Uncle Trav’s Rickshaw Inn post that for their Pina Colada they used the same kind of footed glass that Trader Vic's still uses for both the Shingle Stain and the Potted Parrot, does anyone know what that type of glass is called? I like em.

Thank you Uncle Trav!

Ten-Pin Pilsner Glass according to Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide revised edition.

That is indeed the Ten Pin. Looks like an upside down bowling pin hence the name. In my years of collecting I have never found one in the wild. And thanks for posting the pic of the glass.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2009-10-14 06:40 ]

Thank you Sweet Daddy Tiki, Uncle Trav and Midnite (Off the air)

So who makes those and how does one go about getting a Ten-Pin Pilsner Glass? Martiki? Trader John? TV Warehouse Girls?

I don't think I can just walk into Crate and Barrel and ask for some. :)

H

The answer is very simple. Doesn't Trader Vic's Downtown serve drinks in these? I know the one in BH did ( Potted Parrot). If yes, you could ask them if they would sell you one.

Very cool shaped glass.I would call the Trader Vic wherehouse in Richmond
and see if they have these...very good possibility.Pm me if you need an
address or phone # .Good luck with the hunt .

Here you go, Boris. These two are yours.

M

Now this is a cool and current topic if I ever saw one. Interestingly, at a certain Trader Vic's on the Continent they use a different glass for the ten pin pilsner. I would take a picture of it for you,but I have no idea how to do so with this fakocta personal communictions device. We in the midnite clan are just happy to be walking upright and not afraid of fire.

Hey, is it not time for you to take a trip and add to that travelogue of yours?

Lawyers, Guns, and Money...
Midnite

I have had this for a while, so that is what it was used for?

were these served recently? if not when in the past? I do not remember this drink at all in the many years I have been to Trader Vics.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-12-04 21:37 ]

It depends on the location, Emeryville serves them, the recently closed San Francisco location served them, it wasn't on the menu in Beverly Hills and it's not on the new downtown L.A. menu.

Thanks Bora, That explains why I never saw them, what was in the drink?

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-12-04 22:16 ]

It's a rum drink, Captain Kirk posted the recipe here and it’s on Trader Tiki’s blog here.

• I was at the downtown Trader Vic’s recently and Hiltiki asked if they would sell the glass and they said yes but mine were already on the way.

• Midnite, you're damn right this is cool and current! :lol: There should be a travelogue update before the end of the year, possibly guest starring YOU!

M

I would take a picture of it for you

Anything for my favorite thread on all of Tiki Central. Voila:

From my recent travels, one of my favorite cocktails. Notice the more squat appearance than those used here in the States. The base is clear, not dark. I suppose I could have asked to buy one or two, but there was simply no room in my carry-on. I had all those baby Harp Seal pelts to smuggle back.

I declare...nothing!
midnite

nice looking glass indeed....looks like an upside down bowling pin

M

I personally believe this topic, and this topic alone, can save Tiki Central. It's got it all, and snappies:

Took this candid shot tonight at Emeryville Vic's. Dig the Xmas lights on the sailboat in the background. Very moody, quite festive, a visual feast. I like how I used a high speed shutter and a low depth of field. I am, as it is said in many quarters, an aueteur. Auetuer...rummy, something like that.

The Trader Vic's Grog may be my favorite cocktail served in the ten pin. Oh, who am I kidding? They're ALL my favorite.

Let's party like it's 2009!
midnite

Bahia at Trader Vic's Los Angeles and my hair was far from perfect.

I have been on the hunt for a Ten Pin for years. I found a mini! I thought what the hell for fifty cents. About 4 1/2” tall. I’ve never seen one before so I thought I would post it here.

T

Score!

U

If anyone is interested in purchasing the black based ten pin glasses that match Tiki-kates, we have a couple that we would sell for $100.00 each. PM me if interested.

Pages: 1 18 replies