Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki Carving in a Thai Rainforest (fixed)

Pages: 1 6 replies

My wife and I were making our way along a jungle path on Phi Phi Island in Thailand when we happened upon a weird Tiki carving village. As you can see from the photos it was in a kind of bamboo compound and it was very quiet. Carvings were stacked up, but there was nobody to be seen. It kind of reminded me of the scene in Apocalypse Now when you finally meet Colonel Kurtz - overwhelming humidity and a sense of impending doom. So, we didn't venture in too far, but I took a few snaps anyway.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody 2009-10-22 22:05 ]

V

is that really you Trader Woody ? Welcome back !
(but I can't see any of the pics you're posting)

Woody, nice to see you're around again. To upload images from another web host instead of your desktop is not so good on TC. Even IF they would show (these are only bright red boxes), they would not last, like so many posts from 2005 and further back prove. All that work and information is gone now.

Hey Virani and Bigbro

Great to see you old pals again - I've been away far too long and have been hopeless in keeping in touch.
Hope you are both well.

Aieeeee! Red boxes....... Hmmmmmm - I see them too, but I'm hosting the photos on Snapfish and all seemed well with my test post. Well, I'll give it another go and let's see what sticks.

Trader Woody

Whoa....the fence also reminds me of the King Kong wall --in a slightly smaller version. Fantastic find, what a small world. I am sure it relates to my post here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27932&forum=1&vpost=488600

Yeah, I thought 'King Kong' when I first saw it!

Indeed, I noticed a lot of Thai-carved Tiki's for sale in the souvenir shops, including
a Tiki bong which cropped up again and again. They really stick out from the traditional Thai stuff.
I've got a mask at home that was carved somewhere in Indonesia where you can see how the traditional local patterns had crept into a Tiki design. I'd guess it's about 30 years old. The carvings on sale these days seem to copy current trends in Tiki carving.

Here's one that was for sale:

Every other bar on these Thai islands is a bamboo bar and a good many of them have one or two of these locally carved Tikis. You couldn't really call them Tiki bars, though, just beach bars.

Trader Woody

Have you got a more exact address for the tiki carvers, since I'll be in Thailand for the next couple of years I might go and get some Tiki's carved by them.

Pages: 1 6 replies