Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Station Fire in California

Pages: 1 1 replies

O

This recent fire affected many TCers in some way. I had friends burned out of their home in Acton after trying to stop the flames with a fire hose. She took these pictures minutes before the fire consumed the house. She was colored with fire retardamt after these pictures were taken. Two firefighters were killed attempting to out run the flames.

It took nearly a month to contain the Station fire.

Another friend, Baby Smith had to evacuate and made this documentary about the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haNF0yAAhr4

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2009-10-19 09:58 ]

TS

Sorry to hear about your friends Tim.
I hold the news stations partially responsible, especially for the weather section of the broadcasts. With weathermen/women making clear statements about "These are IDEAL conditions for fires to spread" along with the many other idiotic sayings during fire coverage, Well, it's like handing over a baby to a pedaphile for babysitting. There is soo much details given out during a fire coverage, that the station might as well have a big flashing marquee going across the TV saying "Arsonists rise up and do your best!"

To be blunt, the media are a bunch of mindless fucking idiots, and should be held accountable for what they report. I know its freedom of speech, but the is also a code of responsibility that should be followed. Have you ever noticed as soon as one fire is covered, all of a sudden there are multiple fires that same day, or very next day.

Just like when the riots were covered, and the media sky copters showed a few people looting new stereos, TV's and such from smaller stores, that more and more places had been looted as the day wore on. I don't want things hidden from me as in a "Big Brother" type sense, but I also do not need to know barometric pressures versus humidity levels and a newscaster either blatently or subliminally letting me know its open game on fire starting. The State should give fire fighters some protection and media control while fighting wildfires or arson started fires.

Pages: 1 1 replies