Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Myrtle Beach Poly Pop

Pages: 1 14 replies

I was going through my postcards and was surprised to see all of the Tiki/Polynesian themed hotels from the Myrtle Beach area of South Carolina.

The biggest and best was the Hawaiian Village, what a great Tiki sign.

This place is the subject of a comprehensive thread from Uncle Trav.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32827&forum=2&hilite=hawaiian%20village

Next up is the Polynesian Motel located on the ocean at 10th Avenue and South Ocean Blvd. A rendering:

A photo postcard.

Here we have a postcard rendering from the Hawaii Kai Motel and Apartments located at 1103 South Ocean Blvd.

Another postcard rendering from the Waikiki Village with a Tiki style pool hut, also on South Ocean Blvd at 15th Street Built in 1963 and still there.

Last up is the Tiki Resort located at 2501 South Ocean Blvd. Not too much Tiki to look at other than the nice sign and the illustration.

Myrtle Beach - the hotbed on Poly Pop, who knew! The Tiki fever was far reaching indeed.

DC

Yep, my first tiki experience as a kid was at the Hawaiian Village, and I recall a couple of the motels too. We lived about 30 minutes from Myrtle and my parents would drive up for the day or a weekend and we always went to either the Hawaiian Village Restaurant or this Chinese restaurant about a mile down from it.

After seeing a copy of the menu and the sign, I assume there was some link between this one and the Tampa place of the same name?

You are right the HV was the best of the lot - I recall the other motels were very thin on the tiki theming and nothing really matched the HV Restaurant and its streams, rock wall fountain, huts, etc.

GK

K

Years ago, they used to have a Hawaiian themed mini-golf right by the old amusement park.."Hawaiian Adventure" I think it was called...smallish, but they had a life sized hula girl in front...played there a few times as a kid when we went on vacations. I might actually have a pic I took of that hula girl..I'll have to look around.

I just got a brochure from the Polynesian Motel.

The cover:

The inside:

Also had this stationary in the envelope:

DC

GK

Grand Kahu,

Thanks for the Teakwood. Here is a pic of the motel brochure, that link to ebay will go away soon.

Also a matchbook from the South Wind Motel in Myrtle Beach.

DC

Wow, it appears Myrtle Beach might have been the Wildwood of Polynesian pop!

http://www.doowopusa.org/district/index.html

Gotta love those googie signs.

UT

Fantastic job of putting this post together DC. It would be fun to dig around that area for a while just to see what pops up. Thanks

Sadly, there is nothing left of the actual hotels and restaurants which once stood - allhave apparently been razed or remodeled to the degree their tikiness is long gone. Most were tiny joints which remain mostly through brochures and matchbooks. I have tried looking for objects, mugs (from the HV restaurant) and other material when in the area, but with no luck. I suspect things ate mote likely to appear in an eBay sale in the Midwest than in that area, but who knows?

GK

Myrtle Beach Ash Tray

Prettier than most

DC

Whooah! Orange, too, I need that for my orange kitchen! Yours or e-bay's?

Bigbro,

Orange is the new black! I sent you a PM.

DC

I see these Myrtle Beach stamped things pop up now and again, but most look to be new tourist stuff. Does anyone out here have any (positively) vintage ceramics from the Hawaiian Village or other Myrtle spot?

GK

This is a new find for the Luau Restaurant in Myrtle Beach that Swanky started a post for and Bifcozz filled with awesome stuff.

I was lucky enough to also pick up a menu from the Luau. They utilized all of the art work from the Dobbs House Luaus (TTT).

It was located at the Hawaii Kai resort shown in this postcard I posted previously.

Here is the other postcard from Bifcozz - there was more than meets the eye at this place.

And the link to Swanky's post

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35542&forum=2&10

Myrtle Beach Poly Pop!

DC

Pages: 1 14 replies