Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

OHANA 2010 - Official thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 191 replies

B

First of all, a HUGE Mahalo to all of the volunteers and attendees that made Ohana such a success this past year.

We've compiled the results of the questionnaires you filled out, and we hear ya loud & clear. There's room for some improvement in some areas, and we're working diligently to make 2010 even better.

Along those lines, the #1 compliant we got was about the cold weather. We listened, and we've made a change.

Ohana 2010 will be during the summer. In the ON season in Lake George, when ALL of the attractions will be open, the pool will be usable, and we'll even be able to do an Imu pit pig roast! All the things that worked & everyone loved will be back, the things that needed help will be helped, and the things that sucked are gone. Its gonna be even better this year! (notice I didnt say bigger? We're going to keep the event about the same size this year...small, intimate & fun, so be sure to buy your tickets as soon as they are available)

So, thats all the good news. The not-so-good news however, is the date.

The ONLY summer weekend available to us at the Tiki, is June 25th-27th.

We realize that those dates may pose a problem for some of you, being so close to Hukilau, and we don't want you to have to choose between events, so let me just say right now: If you can only attend ONE tiki event this year, go to Hukialu (and tell everyone at the Mai Kai I said "Aloha!").

If you can attend TWO....well, you should probably go to Oasis, 'cause sh*t is crazy off the hook out there.

But, if you can get to three, we humbly ask that you consider Ohana.

The move to summer was not one that was taken lightly, and there were just too many positives for making the move, that even with the June date, we had to do it. In addition to all the stuff listed above about being there IN-Season, it also allows us to make an additional donation to the EIF during their same fiscal year. To a non-profit, that's a BIG deal. Alot of non-profits saw their operating budgets plummet this past year with the weak economy and less people donating, and to be able to get a second donation to them will really help.

We're also earmarking some of the funds raised this year (Yes, in case I have to remind you, Ohana is a CHARITY EVENT) for an emergency relief fund we're creating. This will allow the FOM to be able to release money whenever needed, at a moments notice, when important causes pop up throughout the year (like the tsunami in Samoa this year).

Anyway, enough with my yammering.

We should have full details really soon, along with hotel info, and as usual, some surprises.

Ok, I guess I can spill a few surprises right now....

we're working on having Hula Cat's Contest winning cocktail added to the menu at the Tiki, so everyone will be able to try it over the weekend!

And we're also adding a new contest for those who joined us in September. All you have to do is take a picture with your Ohana Magazine, and/or Ohana Swag Bag. The more exotic the setting the better, the more creative, the better. Send the pics to me, along with how you want to be credited for the photo, to: [email protected] The most creative photo will be featured on the website, and you'll get a special prize at the event this year!

More to come very soon!

Mahalo, and we'll see you at the Lake!

My bags are already packed!

Well, technically I haven't unpacked from the last time... why put off till tomorrow what you can do next month.

But still! I'm so excited! 2010 is going to be one hell of a year!

if i choose to fly in as opposed to driving, what airport to i need to land at out there that's closest to the event??..if i fly i can rent a car and drive to the event from there but i wanna know so i can book a flight now if i need....thanks!

Sounds like a LUAU to me - pig in pit - who else is going there huh??? Good times for all!

C

On 2009-10-31 11:03, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
if i choose to fly in as opposed to driving, what airport to i need to land at out there that's closest to the event??..if i fly i can rent a car and drive to the event from there but i wanna know so i can book a flight now if i need....thanks!

Albany is the closest airport - about an hour away.
Otherwise you can add it onto an extended trip to Boston (2-2.5 hours), NYC, etc.....

GOHANA 2010!!!!!!!!!!

S

I can't wait for Ohana 2010. I wouldn't miss this for anything.

Three big tiki weekends a year... awesome, awesome! I'll see you at all of 'em! :wink:

Suzanne

P

We flew into Burlington, which is a small airport. Burlington is beautiful and the drive to Lake George was very, very nice.

Albany is closest and an easy drive up 87 NorTh thruway. Cars rented there too! Burlington may have better deals a bit furthur but you could run to canada for some Havana club, Boston is closer than NYC with more options on flights and then there's even Hartford too! So use up those frequent flier points and get on it!

T

Wow Sully, :o :o :o

The ONLY summer weekend available to us at the Tiki, is June 25th-27th.

This will be great. We're in, can't wait.. :lol: :lol: :lol: Movie's out side, bands, drinks, room crawls, room crawls, friends, beautiful hotel & staff, room crawls and right here in our own back yard!.. Yippee! Did I mention room crawls? :lol:

Can't wait.. See ya all there!

Can't wait!

And we don't HAVE to wait as long now!!!!

I pencilled it in, and pray to Tiki that I don't have a shoot in Germany then. Or better: that it falls in between two shooting gigs, yeah.

On 2009-10-31 11:03, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

Go ahead and drive, enjoy the scenery, :D...
...but if you must fly, do it via Boston, this way you can check out the Kowloon, before or after Ohana. :drink:

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 4:34 PM

B

Ya beat me to it Caroline! lol

T

The 1st one was so great how could I miss this one? That's right, I can't.

The Canadians will be back... Looking forward to it!

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Nov 5, 2009 9:56 AM

Well, I said we'd be there next year, but I can't make that date due to Hukilau. Might see about another date to get up there. Always makes me nervous that these old places will suddenly close and be gone.

Are we there yet?

H

Sooooooooooo theeeeeerrrrrre...

Hey Folks!

More News you can use from the Lake!

The Tiki is now taking reservations for Ohana 2010.

Now, before you rush off to call and book Friday & Saturday night, you may want to come in a day early (Thursday) as we're finally going to put the Whispers Danceclub (upstairs at the Tiki and perpetually stuck in 1986) to good use by having a Prom there on Thursday night.

This will be a separately ticketed event with free food, music, cash bar, and all the jackassery & tomfoolery you've come to know and expect from our wacky events.

The always lovely, always talented Hi-Fi Hijinks will MC and be spinning stax of wax (or at least cds) for the evening, mixing your favorite hits of the 70s & 80s. Dress appropriately, and bring your sense of humor.

Also, since we're gonna be there during the ON-Season, everything will be open. C'mon out early, or stay late, and see all the great kitschy wackiness that Lake George has to offer!

So, all that being said, here's the skinny on the hotel:

Thursday, June 24th, Friday, June 25th, & Saturday, June 26th, 2010
2 double beds---------- $125 per night
2 queen beds----------- $130 per night
1 queen & sofa-------- $135 per night
1 king & Jacuzzi------ $145 per night
1 king, Jacuzzi, & sofa $150 per night
1 queen & Jacuzzi----- $150 per night

This rate is for 2 people per room and children under the age of 18 stay for free with their parent or legal guardian, all additional guests per room are $11.10 per person per night. Check in time is 3:00 pm or after and check out time is around 11:00 am. All rooms are non-smoking.

Call the hotel directly at 518-668-5744 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm to make your reservation and ask for the Ohana Room Block. They do require an advance deposit of the first nights stay plus tax when the reservation is made, and there is a 1 week cancellation policy on all reservations.

And even though we have the ENTIRE hotel, we expect it to sell out again, so don't delay. Go! Book now!!

And we'll see ya at the Lake!!

Will there be Mystery Drink Auctions again? The one I witnessed still gives me nightmares.

S

On 2009-11-18 12:38, pappythesailor wrote:
Will there be Mystery Drink Auctions again? The one I witnessed still gives me nightmares.

I am picturing guys in lavalavas coming out with the drink rather than gals in sarongs. Gives Mystery Drink a whole new meaning...

C

On 2009-11-18 13:53, Swanky wrote:

I am picturing guys in lavalavas coming out with the drink rather than gals in sarongs. Gives Mystery Drink a whole new meaning...

We all wish it were just that simple....... :wink:

On 2009-11-18 14:22, croe67 wrote:

Ya can say that again! :o

On 2009-11-18 16:29, BambooLodge wrote:

On 2009-11-18 14:22, croe67 wrote:

Ya can say that again! :o

Bargoyle started his presentation wearing a Lavalava......

B

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we can just leave it at that Chip.

Damn demon rum.

And no, no I will not being doing a mystery drink dance at Ohana 2010, so I deem the event Safe for Your Eyes.

:wink:

T

We are currently looking for vendors. If you or someone you know is interested in vending at the Ohana 2010 event, please leave me a PM and I will get in touch with you/them.

Mahalo,
TG

Me! Me!

Andy will be brining Fashion Tramp back to Ohana 2010! She has already updated the Utili-Lavalava, created a bunch of new dresses, and is working on a whole bunch of bits of random Fashion.

Last year was unbelievable, can't wait to see what this year brings!

S

Even Bargoyle's "random bits of fashion....??"

Can't wait for Ohana. Even if I am still trying to regain eyesight.

Suzanne

Ok ok. I get the hint. I promise to remain FULLY clothed this year. lol.

For those who didnt get the email announcement (or notice the post in general tiki) we've given a donation of $3,000 to the EIF thanks to Ohana last year.

Just a quick personal thanks to all of the sponsors, vendors, advertisers, volunteers, and attendees. You folks made it happen.

You can read more about it here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35140&forum=1&3

And be sure to check out http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com for all the latest, greatest info on this years event.

Tix on sale soooooooooon!!!!

T

On 2010-01-09 21:10, Chip and Andy wrote:
Me! Me!

Andy will be brining Fashion Tramp back to Ohana 2010! She has already updated the Utili-Lavalava, created a bunch of new dresses, and is working on a whole bunch of bits of random Fashion.

Last year was unbelievable, can't wait to see what this year brings!

Wouldn't be Ohana without Andy's awesome fashions.

K

On 2010-01-09 21:10, Chip and Andy wrote: Andy will be brining Fashion Tramp back to Ohana 2010! She has already updated the Utili-Lavalava, created a bunch of new dresses, and is working on a whole bunch of bits of random Fashion.

Note to self: bring extra money.

I was going through photos of last year and realized that I only have a few of mine posted..... so instead I'll shamelessly post some images from other attendees. Most of them are better shots that mine anyway.

From Drive-In Movie night poolside.

The Fund-Raising Mystery Drink..... ask Bargoyle what happens after a couple of these

Hula-Hoop Lady.... somebody told me who she was, but I was too distracted to pay attention

The trophy for the Drink Contest Winner

Mr and Mrs Leisure Master, one of the many hosts of the Room Crawl

Tedtiki made some new friends.

And in looking at the few that I posted compared to these, I think was drinking while trying to operate the camera......

If Ohana 2010 is even half as good as 2009 was it is still going to be the most amazing kick-ass ultimate tiki throwdown EVAH!

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2010-01-13 10:33 ]

C

Here's a bit more of the shenanigans from Ohana '09.....just a little taste of what we've got in-store for 2010 :D

Of course, there's the FABULOUS locale.....

And then there's the crazy over-the-top WONDERFUL Room Crawl....

And, no Film Fest can be complete without the Brady Bunch Hawaii Episode :o

Now onto the OHANA '09 COCKTAIL CONTEST!!

And the winning drink...."Fire in the Dole" (it's on fire....trust me....just hard to see in the daylight with the camera...) :wink: :lol:

Oh, yeah...and the Hula Hoop Girl....'cuz you can never have enough Hula Hoop Girl... :wink:

And, of course, Special Surprise Guest, ELVIS :D

And, finally, a little taste of the Polynesian Show.....with FIRE!!!!

Oh, yeah.....and Thanks to our fabulous sponsors for helping make the weekend so AWESOME!! :D :D :D

Hope to see you all at OHANA 2010 - it's going to be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

K

This is just mean, you guys. Wanna be there... not here!

this is it

X
xtine posted on Thu, Jan 14, 2010 6:57 PM

I feel like this will be the longest winter ever because I'm looking forward to Ohana in such a huge way!

Visit the official website at http://www.luauatthelake.com

OHANA Luau at the Lake web event posters

Info/graphics soon on the Drive-in Ohana Film Festival!

:D

that last graphic.... the reworked Shlitz ad.... F*%^ing PRICELESS! LOVE IT!

If I was sober enough to work that somehow into one of those MasterCard styled commercials, i would.

IZ

Gonna make it afterall... looking forward to it!

C

On 2010-02-10 08:44, I, Zombie wrote:

EXCELLENT!!
After missing you in Mpls last month, I'm glad we'll get to meet-up in Lake George - looking forward to it :D

I think I need to increase my Liver Training Regime....

Friday Room Crawl

Mix-Off competition (which I am very excited about since I missed last years)

Folly Cove bringing their amazing knowledge (and I hope samples again!)

And that is just the stuff planned so far!

Screw the liver training, I'll just order another one from ebay. I think the last one is used up anyway.

And I am getting pretty good at the installation, don't even need the instructions anymore.

Man I cant wait for this one!

T

Looking at the pictures brings back so many great memories. I've taken off an entire week so I can get there early and stay late.

C

On 2010-02-19 12:24, tedtiki wrote:
Looking at the pictures brings back so many great memories. I've taken off an entire week so I can get there early and stay late.

ME TOO!!!!
I can't wait to actually get to check out all of the cool/weird/funky stuff in the town of Lake George this time, too!! :D

S

Ditto. I missed all the awesome signs and general goofing off last time. Can't wait for OHANA again!

Suzanne

On 2010-02-10 08:46, croe67 wrote:

On 2010-02-10 08:44, I, Zombie wrote:

EXCELLENT!!
After missing you in Mpls last month, I'm glad we'll get to meet-up in Lake George - looking forward to it :D

Great! We've worked out a nice variation on Vic's "Rum Keg" that will be a crowd pleaser. Can't wait to share one with you. BTW, the only bad news is we can't get there until Saturday! So I hope people will have a little gas left in the tank for Saturday night!

I, Z

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 191 replies