Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

2 Maori small painted carvings From NZ for sale

Pages: 1 3 replies

B

I have a couple of painted carvings from New Zealand I'm selling for a friend of mine. They are probably from the 1960's era and have real flax skirts.
If you are interested PM me. Thanks

B

Bump ?

On 2009-11-01 12:12, Benzart wrote:

Nice bum shot...

Can you give us a feel for price here? Or expand on the value?

B

Thanks Bananabobs. I have an email out to the owner with no reply yet as to the price. I have yet to pin him down on mimimum he will take so might just go for it.
Here are some better photos. The items are not marked at all by the artists as both seem to be works from 2 different styles. There is a hole through the abdomen probably for a peg pr pin used maybe for stability or hanging on a wall or where ever. They don't seem to be made for the tourist trade in that they were used somewhere on the dwelling or room where ever they were displayed. No fancy carving so no great importance there. The tallest one is carved all around while the short one has a flat back.
The tallest is 38" by 6" deep by 5" wide
the short one is 28 1/2" by 6" wide by 3 1/2" deep. He has painted 'Shorts while the other does not
He has paua eyes and one paua tooth, carved toe detail and the added feather has broken and been repaired more than once with no effort to paint over the repair.
I'm thinking $600 for the pair will be acceptable but not sure yet.

Hope this helps. B-Bobs, I've had one other inquery besides yours but nothing final yet.

Pages: 1 3 replies