Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Bar Crawl Expert advice needed

Pages: 1 6 replies

So how do you do it? A few of us in Portland are thinking about a crawl on May 3 but time is running short. What are the best ideas and options for transportation? Should everybody be a one place at a time or does it spread out? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

M
mig posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2003 7:06 PM

Woohoo! Okay, Crawl advice:

1. Figure out your personnel-- e.g., rough head count. Is it going to be a handful of hardcores? Or are you going to put the word out to a network of friends, etc.?

2. Figure out WHERE you're going. Which places? And then, what is the best path between all those places? Other things may need to be considered, such as if some of them close early.

3. Depending on how many people, figure out if you're going to need a driver; or a couple drivers who will take everybody; or if you want to rent a van for the night to take everybody; etc. Other option: just post the schedule, and let people figure out how to get places on their own. (We did this for the first two SF crawls, because there were too many people to deal with figuring this out.)

4. Contact the various establishments and let them know what's going on! That way they can either save tables for you, give you drink specials, whatever-- either way, it's nice to let them know you're coming.

5. Write up a blurb about it and email it to Otto ([email protected]). Do this ASAP because it takes him a little while to get the word out to his list. You should pick up a number of people that way.
    And of course, post all info at TikiCentral, and invite everybody!

6. When the actual crawl comes, give it your own extra goodies, depending on how many people there are: name tags, little trinkets for everyone, etc.

7. Check with the Maxtons no matter what you do. :) I figure they're already in on it, but I'm just checking. Even if their pad isn't open for the season yet, then their presence will still be an excellent addition. :)

8. Lastly: brace yourself. Because it may just turn out to be chaotic, random, more people than you can handle, etc. If so, just go with the flow, as the chaos makes it even more fun. :)

-mig

Mr.Tiki Bar, drop me a note when you get back online and let's get together for a planning session - the sooner the better! Maybe over mai tais at Bush Garden...

Most important - don't let baxdog know about it!

M

Speaking on behalf of both the Orange County people and us No-Cals, I think both groups have had good success with rented shuttle buses. We really enjoyed our big black death tank up here. It really makes life a lot easier. And there's a great sense of comraderie between stops. Get yourself a swanky Uke player like Iuka for the drive, too.

-martin

Excellent. Lets do it. Maxton, I sent you an email. Is Saturday too early to get together? Mai Tais are acceptable.

I got back to your offlist. Northwesterners, the next time you hear about this it will be in the Events forum. In the meantime, DO plan to be down in Portland May 3 around 5:00. Details will follow...

Pages: 1 6 replies