Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

"Bad Luck" carvings....????

Pages: 1 7 replies

S
savoy6 posted on Wed, Nov 4, 2009 2:52 PM

just wondered if there were any types of tikis or designs that are taboo or bad luck?...i'm wanting to get into carving but i don't want to put out anything that may lead to any bad fortune for anyone..especially me..lol..any info or advice would be appreciated,thanks.

M
mijaba posted on Wed, Nov 4, 2009 4:09 PM

Actually, I heard of such an idol.
In the late sixties, a family was on vacation in hawaii happened upon a "bad luck" charm. It caused a near-fatal surfung accident with eldest son and oldest of the three daughters had an encounter wirh a nonindigenous tarantula that made it through customs.
It is rumored that the step-mother and her step-son had a brief but wholly inappropriate affair too----the idol strikes again!

Watch my hula girl!
http://www.vimeo.com/3457036

[ Edited by: mijaba 2009-11-04 16:09 ]

Tikis have brought me nothing but good luck and fortunes!

Since it was mentioned:

CocoJoe BradyBunchRipoff idols $6.99 each

Buzzy Out!

Airborne! What unit and where were you stationed? I was airborne assigned to the 3rd Battalion 11th Special Forces unit in South Florida. How many jumps?
Oh, as far as bad tiki's go if you stick with a design of your own then there wouldn't be a issue. You could also do traditional carvings as practice. Hope that helps.

S

thanks for the info guys....i just wondered if anything out there was specificaly taboo.i find that alot of spiritual items in polynesian culture are either good in a BIG way or bad in a BIG way....kinda like taking rocks from hawaii and such..just didn't want to bring any bad mojo around...lol...
tiki...didn't get a chance to jump qualed while in the Navy,(86-90).though after i got out ,i did get 2 tandems and 23 freefalls under my belt...most out at several operations out at perris ,CA...
the patch is from a FUSAG unit in WW2...one of the fake units that were supposed to be landing under Patton at Pas de Calais that kept hitler from sending troops to normandy after the invasion..we use it for a WW2 themed airsoft team...my other interest besides history and all things tiki and retro...lol

[ Edited by: savoy6 2009-11-04 23:32 ]

I remember that diversion for the landing at Normandy (not that I was born yet...lol). Blow up tanks and cardboard trucks...etc. Nice patch and a great piece of history.

K
Kino posted on Thu, Nov 5, 2009 6:54 PM

the only bad luck carvings I have come across
have taken some of my flesh and blood

Pages: 1 7 replies