Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Wong's Golden Palace / Dragon Room

Pages: 1 1 replies

A

Has anyone ventured into Wong's Golden Palace and the adjacent Wong's Dragon Room on University Avenue in La Mesa, Calif.?

I've never eaten in the restaurant (Golden Palace), but a few weeks ago some friends and I went into the bar (Dragon Room). Their bar menu includes several tropical drinks: Scorpion, Mai Tai, Zombie, Blue Hawaiian, etc. From the outside the place looks pretty cool, but the bar interior is disappointing. It may have been nice when it opened in the 1960s, but if so it's devolved into a dive sports bar. I only had a couple of beers before I left so I didn't try the cocktails. However, they do offer the standard "tiki" mugs which you can purchase.

Here's the web site:
http://wongsgoldenpalace.com

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2009-11-05 08:58 ]

I have! We stop by every now and then. The restaurant is small but decor-wise is about the closest thing to what I think of as a Chinese restaurant that I've found out here (although it does have windows). We'll usually eat and have a drink in the restaurant and then stop over in the bar side for a while. As you said, the bar side is very divey sports bar, which was a disappointment based on the outside look. The bartenders always look at us funny when we ask for the drink menu over there, too (even though the drinks for the restaurant side are apparently made there.) Definitely more of a beer/whiskey atmosphere in the bar. Pretty friendly people.

I absolutely love the outide out the building. I almost drove off the road the first time I saw it.

Pages: 1 1 replies