Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

It's that magical time of year

Pages: 1 8 replies

http://www.pdxpolka.com/
Big events almost every weekend it seems.

We WILL be attending this event! And if we have anything to say about it, we WILL make this the kickoff for a NW mini crawl. I'm gonna play my ace in the hole with the owner of the Alibi to see if I can't get some concessions from them (exotica on the jukebox? Turn of those DAMNED TVs for just a few hours? No Peter Cetera in the Karaoke room FOR JUST ONE FREAKIN' NIGHT?!). I know TikiTronic and Kim ahve expressed interest, you'll be there with your entourage, too, and Maggie and I will bringing our hipster friends, but what about the Seattle contingent? And how about other NW locals? Is there nobody on this list from Eugene? Ashland? Lake Oswego (o.k., that's stretching it)? Let's hear from you! Are you with us? May 3! C'mon people!

You can count me in! I'm from the great White North; Victoria BC, and will be in Portland the weekend of May 3rd. I've just started collecting, and have never been to a Tiki bar! Whip me up a Mai Tai, as I plan on at least trying several drinks at the Alibi that night! I'm not a local, but a Tiki Centralite to the core. I'd love to meet all you like-minded people. Let's get oot and aboot! :wink:

H

Count me in, too! I wasn't planning on starting my road trip right after work, but the love of tiki will make you do all kinds of crazy things. Unless traffic from Seattle is wacky, I can be in Portland in about 2.5-3 hours. I'll plan on being packed up when I go to work that morning, and I should be able to sneak out of work by about 4ish, so I can be down there by 7ish perhaps. Where shall we meet? Can anyone suggest a cheap local hotel for the night?

TC polka-tiki crawlers. Please join Kitty and I for a kick off at our place about 5:00
on May 3. (Email or send a personal message for directions.)
We plan on heading to the polka-fools party about 7:00. We are going-off tiki at 9:30 to race over to Dublin Pub in Raleigh Hills for a 60's rock show. (Feel free to join us.) I hope to catch up with the crawl afterwards at The Jasmine tree or Alibi.

H

Well, that sounds like a compelling reason to sneak out of work a bit earlier. I'll try to make it for the 5:00 shindig.

Edited to add: Boy was I confused! I thought this was on Friday. I'll totally be there by 5, no problem.

The best tiki bar is the one that's within stumbling distance of your bed
The Humuhumu Room

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2003-04-22 18:26 ]

Yay! It sounds like we have a happening! We'll do a roll call in a bit. Mr.Tiki Bar, how many people are you prepared to host? I have a feeling that Castaway Cove won't be on the list because I'm in the middle of some semi-major remodelling in preparation for the June 7 season opener. I'll get it tidied up if I can, but we'd best not count on it.

So how's this sound:

May 3, Portland OR

5:00 pm - drinks at Mr. Tiki Bar's
7:00 pm - Polka De Mayo
9:30 pm Shuffle - Mr. Tikibar and entourage to Dublin, others to Jasmine Tree (?) perhaps for a late dinner.
10:30 ish - Alibi

I'm recommending a short stay at Jasmine Tree as it's o.k. but no Alibi. I'll also check to see if they have any entertainment that night. Alibi will be Karaoke, as it always is on Saturdays. If I play my cards right I might be able to reserve a table for us, but they're never hurting for business so I don't have much leverage on that front. Thoughts? Suggestions?

When I do roll call I'll move this discussion to Events.

TikiMaxton,
No need to rush your project. We'll be fine. This should not discourage Tiki Centralites from beyond the drizzle zone from
considering joining in.
We don't have a 500 square foot mega-bar (like some local tiki-gods) but I think we could host thirty. More if weather allows us to use the back yard patio or I clear out space in the unfinished tiki over-flow room. I hope to have eight or ten pdxpolka types over(future TCers?).

I also have some remodeling plans but they won't directly effect the basement. I hope to dress up the stairway down but right now it's under-developed.

Your tentative schedule sounds good. I'll be off line for a couple days but will check back soon.

K
Kim posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2003 10:57 AM

Well, Tikitronic & I are in! I can be social & stay up past my bedtime (twice in a month! Goin' crazy over here! Whoo-hoo!) for this much tiki-madness!

Pages: 1 8 replies