Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I found these tiki mask at a yard sale today!!!

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

I'm trying to track down the origin of these to mask. I suspect they came from http://www.balifurnish.com/new/mask2.html , but I can't locate them on there website. These mask might not even be made by the same maker because they have some major differences. The red one is about twice as heavy, made of much harder wood, is 1" shorter, has mother of pearl inlay, and has holes for the mouth and eyes. The red one is a lot nicer quality than the other mask, however they both came from the same yard sale. I am thinking these people traveled to Hawaii and purchased them. They stand right at 19" tall. Does anyone know the maker? Do you think the link listed is most likely the right source? Age?

[ Edited by: mr2sharp 2009-11-06 17:37 ]

They are not tiki.

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Nov 6, 2009 6:16 PM

I don't think they are even masks (considering no one has or will wear them on their face)

B

Here in the Marketplace that I have my shop in there are plenty of other shops that sell these types of wooden masks and they call them "Tiki Masks".... Most of them are brought in from Bali -Indonesia but there are a few that people are getting from Africa which I believe these are from..

M

Thanks, I will check in the direction of African imports and see what I can find.

AAAAAH! My eyes! The burning...so bad...cannot seeee....take them away!

B

On 2009-11-06 18:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
AAAAAH! My eyes! The burning...so bad...cannot seeee....take them away!

And imagine being surrounded by dozens of these all day long....,Blinded....,nuff said..

hideous

[ Edited by: surfalaia 2009-11-10 15:15 ]

B

Here's a couple more on a wholesale website that are African tribal masks and Balinese styles,

http://www.worldbazaarimports.com/handmade_masks/tribal_masks

There seems to be actually a lot of people that collect these types of masks.. I wouldn't call them Tiki though..

BB

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2009-11-07 13:02 ]

"I am thinking these people traveled to Hawaii and purchased them"
Dude you are cracking me up. Another good guess would be those people traveled to the Wal-Mart garden department..Oh no I can't say that..yes I can. I was going to ask about any evidence of vintage dust, but that's just not right.

OGR

...'Nor is suggesting he should try "Crappy Mask Central" to push his finds.

H
honu73 posted on Sat, Nov 7, 2009 3:49 PM

I have seen those before........in classic literature. Those are the actual masks used by Tahitian Islanders at the time of the Bounty Mutiny. Dude, those are old...and historically relevant. Not only to the tiki community, but the whaling community, and the maritime history community, and the Pitcairn Island Society. I'm thinking a Sotheby's or Christie's auction for those puppies. That is the ultimate garage sale score! Try finding an illustrated copy of "Mutiny on the Bounty" in your local library. This is good stuff...

[ Edited by: honu73 2009-11-07 15:52 ]

OGR

Nice classy PM lady....nothing more than I expected...

Pages: 1 13 replies