Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki sanding Help Please

Pages: 1 8 replies

So I've done about as much sanding as I could using my mouse sander and now have been using my hands the old fashion way :wink:... I'm having a hard time getting in the tight areas with sand paper ( eyes, mouth etc.) and was wondering what to use. I read in a few posts that the flap well works well but was wondering if there is something else I should look for. I'm taking a trip to H depot soon, if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them..
Mahalo's

BB

http://www.beachbumz.com

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2009-11-08 12:17 ]

I use what ever I can to get into the hard to reach areas. Folded up pieces or sandpaper, emery boards, dowels covered with sandpaper ect. One thing that helps me is using adhesive backed paper. You can get it here http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Norton-66261131459-5-220-Grit-No-Hole-No-Fil-A273-Psa-Disc-Roll. The stuff last a really long time and you can stick a piece onto a cake knife, flat head screwdriver or something similar. What ever you can think of. It allows you to sand in some really tight places. I dont think there are too many shortcuts here. You just have top be patient and when you think your done sanding, sand some more.

B

Thanks SDShirtman for the tip, I went to H Depot and did not find any of the adhesive backed kind but did find a cool dremel attachment that seemed to get into the tight places well.. also bought some better sandpaper and used the small fold method and seemed to work..

[ Edited by: beachbumz 2009-11-09 13:22 ]

P
pdrake posted on Sun, Nov 8, 2009 6:50 PM

http://www.woodcarvers.com/sa097.htm

more good stuff around the site.

Tiki's lookin' good. Can't say that mouth would constitute a tight spot though. The adhesive sand paper is the type you put on rotary and palm sanders. At H depot it's usually right next to the reg. sand paper in the tool section (not the painting section) :>) I know I feel like I live there sometimes...... It's always good to have some around. I usually use it stuck to half a cloths pin, popsicle stick or scrap wood. Tiki has some nice depth to it. Are you going to burn it, stain it .....? Keep up the great work.

P.S. You hand carved picture frames are really nice! Nice work.

If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything

[ Edited by: Tikilizard 2009-11-08 22:50 ]

A
amate posted on Mon, Nov 9, 2009 4:29 PM

Beachbumz,

First of all,congratulations, your tiki is really looking good. About 90% of my first 20 or so ended up on the firewood stack! I too have difficulty with sanding the tight spots and welcome any suggestions. I would love to see a photo of that Dremel attachment or get the part number etc. I can tell you what I DO NOT recommend. These sanding discs are not worth the money in my opinion. I used them twice and gave up on them. It could be pilot error I suppose. The detail sanders work well in some applications but not for everything. I will continue to use them and have already purchased replacement bands. Hope this helps.

B

Pdrake: Mahalo's for the link to the sanding tool, I think I'll have to get one of those..
Tikilizard: Shoots, Mahalo's for the compliments I'm diggin the way he's coming out,It's definably going to be a trial and error thing for me, maybe someday I'll get one just right.. It's fun trying though. I missed the adhesive paper at H depot but I'll check it out again, I'm there about once a week as well. The frames we have are carved but I don't do any of the work,It's an import but tourists seem to like them..:wink:As for the tiki I think I'm going to give him a little wood burning first and then stain him darker.. but I think I'm going to pass on the polyurethane coating, I kinda like the old matte look..
amate: the detail sander looks exactly like something I made the other night that I could not find at the hardware store.. Mahalo's

Here is a picture of the dremel attachment that was working well,but a little to small..

I believe it a D-14 dremel

Thanks for all the info everyone.. I need to go sand some more...:wink:

BB

A
amate posted on Sat, Nov 14, 2009 4:36 AM

Beachbumz,

I got the Dremel bit and it worked perfectly for what I needed. Thanks for turning me on to it. I also ordered these sanding cones. It was a toss up between these and the Marsh sanders. These also worked real well for a fine finish in tight spots and I will probably retire the detail sanding stick. Most of my carving is about a foot tall so you may require something larger. Anyway that's what is working for me. Thanks again.

No problem amate, I think I'll have to pick up some of those cones as well, they look like they would work very well in those small places..
aloha

Pages: 1 8 replies