Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Foos Lagoon, Portland, OR (home-bar)

Pages: 1 15 replies

RD

Name:The Foos Lagoon
Type:home-bar
Street:
City:Portland
State:OR
Zip:97213
Phone:

Description:
Finally opened in 2009 Rum Demon's official port of call, located at Demon Central, NE Portland Oregon. The bar was constructed on a pittance thanks mainly to generous donations of bamboo and other material from Aaron Miller, Melintur, Tiki Mama, Rebecca, Jodie, Yukon Joe, and many others. Additionally, construction involved a judicious use of scrap wood and even yard debris accumulated over the last decade. With time as a key ally, much money was saved by building nearly everything from scratch, from hand tying over 100 square feet of fishing nets to the custom painted "wood" flooring. This is indeed the bar that love and elbow grease built.
Built from the necessity to clear a large upstairs bedroom of all tiki decor, nerd accoutrements, and a foosball table in anticipation of the Demon's first born son, the Foos Lagoon is a multi-purpose recreation facility. It's central feature and namesake is Joe Mello's prized Tornado Whirlwind Tournament Foosball Table. Hardly tiki in nature, this professional quality competition miniature soccer pitch has been expertly bathed in adjustable mood lighting. On non-game days, it's sporting nature, steel bars, wooden handles and all, are cleverly hidden away under a solid wood table covered in gentle red velvet, thus ensuring this marriage of necessity can be a long and amicable one.
During sea trials, the tiny bar (featuring four barstools and a home-built two man booth) was found to accommodate up to eight guests comfortably, plus one bartender. The maximum capacity of this facility has yet to be fully realized but probably does not exceed 12. Fortunately, despite it's small size the Foos Lagoon features two exits to help minimize claustrophobia.
The management of The Foos Lagoon believes that, as with any decent tiki establishment, the construction phase of a home bar is never truly "over". There's always another mug to arrange, lamps to be constructed, some more jute to tie, and of course additional booze to accumulate (hint hint). We look forward to providing a relaxing atmosphere to weary travelers for many years to come.

(pictures soon...)

There we go... many thanks to Yukon Joe for the photo shoot!

Hooray!

Beautiful !

Ah, it's lovely! Looks very welcoming and cozy. I love the lamp over the foos table. Those poor little menehune are going to develop quite a stank after a couple of decades hanging out near all that oil. So, that's something to look forward to.

Humu! Good to see you!
And indeed, what a lovely, lovely place. And it is a pleasure for my eyes to see such a place photographed well, in the appropriate lighting.

These exquisite home bars look better than most the restaurants that still exist....I sooooo have to get me some space to do this in. Looks great!!!!

These exquisite home bars look better than most the restaurants that still exist....I sooooo have to get me some space to do this in. Looks great!!!!

Awesome!

A feast for the eyes! Dynamic!

L

Love the menehuenes in the rain lamp.

Bar looks great! Thanks for posting some pics too!

The ceiling is great too. Star projector? Fluorescent paint? Please explain.

RD

Thanks for all the lovely comments, folks. It's a relief that a tiki bar with a FRICKIN foosball table as it's central feature can somehow pass muster with the ohana. See, we CAN combine our passions sometimes.

As for the stars, they're just painted. Titanium white acrylic to be exact. Picks up the low light nicely. Doesn't pick up black light though...

See you at the next crawl... or sooner...

-Joe n KT

S

thanx for the photos, you really nailed it with that room.WOW

That is one awesome home tiki bar you have there! Great job! Love the old radio.

That would be cool if you could get a Foosball tiki upgrade kit! :)

RB

Wow, very cool. I like the use of netting on the walls rather than the usual bamboo/rattan/thatch, etc. Might have to try that myself!

T

Excellent little space, very moody and cozy. The blue ceiling is a big help. I collect rain lamps (sort of, lava lamps are the main collection) and that Creators' Lamp Co. "swing" model is rare. Usually has a couple of country-ish teens on the moving swing, I like your menehune change. I see a Damiana bottle in there, too...

Next I get down to Portland, I'd jump at the chance to get a look at this secret nightspot.

[ Edited by: TorchGuy 2009-11-16 07:56 ]

Pages: 1 15 replies