Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Smokin' Menehunes with Special Guests This Friday 11/13/09!!!

Pages: 1 4 replies

Hot off the coconut-bong wire:

Just a short note letting you know this Friday will be exceptionally fun at the Catalina Fish Kitchen in Huntington Beach. The Smokin' Menehues will have special guest musicians from Las Vegas performing. Our friends are known as the '9th Isle Serenaders', and they crank out some cool Hawaiian tunes.

The program starts at 6:30pm, and I suggest you get there early to reserve a table. As always, we appreciate your continued support and look forward to seeing you this Friday

Catalina Fish Kitchen - Huntington Beach
19171 Magnolia (1.5 miles south of 405 fwy)
Huntington Beach, CA 92646
(714) 963-9921

TGIF!!! WooHooo!

Headin' down to the kitchen in a few...The food is good, the beer is cold and the entertainment is FREE! (Not that the Smokin' Menehunes wouldn't be worth an admission price!-You'd have to pay for airfare, hotel and meals to see an act like theirs on the Islands!) What a great way to start the weekend!

let us know how the guests were.
I wanted to go, but was pooooped after work today.
Sorry SM's
:(

Jeff(btd)

TM

They were awesome! This was "deep" hawaiian, (as Pat likes to say)...a three piece band, just like ours. These were Pat's "beach boy" pals from Waikiki back in the day, so they had the natural ability to sing together. At the end, we all joined in for a group jam. I have to say, that the place was packed to capacity. A lot of people were in town for a funeral, so they came to the kitchen last night for a little entertainment. There would not have been room for even one more person...

As Soccertiki mentioned, this scene is almost exactly what you would have witnessed at a Waikiki hotel lounge back in the early 60's. A bunch of Hawaiians entertaining the haoles and having a real laid back, good time.

It's worth checking out, because one never knows how long this thing will last. There are enough trendy, neo-tiki events and bands, but very few that are representing the original, vintage tiki scene as we are. (unless you want to fly to japan to see the Sweet Hollywaiians, of course!) So get it while you still can...it's like taking a step back in time!

Pages: 1 4 replies