Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Are Hawaiian Restaurants Dying?

Pages: 1 12 replies

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country, but Houston used to have at least 10 Hawaiian restaurants of the fast food variety. These were spread out all over town so I'm not sure that competition in close proximity was an issue. It looks now there are only 3 left: Alisi's, Aloha Grill, and Aloha Hawaii. The seven that have closed (two Aloha Hawaiian BBQs, two Big Island Hawaiian BBQs, Little Island Grill, Aloha Cafe, and Maui Tacos) have done so in the space of about 8 months and I don't think it was because of poor food quality. Little Island Grill catered my luau. I went to Aloha Grill on Saturday and talked to the owner, Donna Gao. She said it's slow and is not very encouraged by future trends. She thinks people either just don't know enough about Hawaiian food, don't like it, or simply would rather have a hamburger. And last I heard, the burger industry is doing just fine.

Are such restaurants in your parts thriving or suffering the same fate?

TM

The L and L BBQ by my house is always busy! Thank God, because I need my Lau Lau fix each week!

M

They should go with Hawaiian pizza.
And I'm not talking Canadian bacon w/pineapple!

RB

Hawaiian restaurants doing great in the Portland area. There are a couple of L&L's, but most are independent.

Many restaurants have gone under in this economic downturn. Hawaiian themed ones, I should think, would only be more vulnerable if they are not perceived as a very good value in the first place.

We see so much restaurant discounting now. And some of it is becoming effective. Effective at least in generating traffic. However, it does not build brand strength and certainly hurts profitability long term.

Small, family-run restaurants are becoming more and more rare. It is a shame.

The only way to fight this trend is to patronize those restaurants. Become their evangelists, promote them to others, encourage people to go. And it helps to promote the Mom & Pop's even more so and I find the David-vs-Goliath comparison to help a bit.

When I lived in Utah, 2000-2006, mom and pop Hawaiian fast food places would pop up now and then only to close within a year. The food was great, I just don't think they generate enough interest. Who knows? There a nice population of Polynesians in Utah too.

When I lived in Oregon, there was Local Boys. I hope that place is still around, amazing food.

Here in Maryland...there is nothing.

On 2009-11-16 08:31, Chip and Andy wrote:
The only way to fight this trend is to patronize those restaurants. Become their evangelists, promote them to others, encourage people to go. And it helps to promote the Mom & Pop's even more so and I find the David-vs-Goliath comparison to help a bit.

Exactly....take your family...friends....business associates...talk it up to everyone....then go yourself...often!!!

You've got three more than we do mateotiki! :(

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Trader Vics @ LA Live opened within the last 12 months, so not all is bad.

When I lived in Oregon, there was Local Boys. I hope that place is still around, amazing food.

Not sure which Local Boyz you're referring to here in Oregon. There's a Local Boyz right next to the Oregon State campus in Corvallis. In Portland, there used to be a Local Boyz out on Powell, but that moved in close to downtown years ago and is now called Noho's (and is excellent, and less than 20 blocks from my house!).

J

On 2009-11-16 19:13, christiki295 wrote:

Trader Vics @ LA Live opened within the last 12 months, so not all is bad.

Huh? I don't think TV qualifies as Hawaiian food. Where's the lau-lau and kalua pork? Also I want my Spam Musubi !! :)

Here's a plug for the best (only?) non-chain Hawaiian joint on the Westside:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rutts-hawaiian-cafe-los-angeles

I'm surprised Rutt's hasn't been mentioned here before.

On 2009-11-17 11:38, Rum Balls wrote:

Not sure which Local Boyz you're referring to here in Oregon. There's a Local Boyz right next to the Oregon State campus in Corvallis. In Portland, there used to be a Local Boyz out on Powell, but that moved in close to downtown years ago and is now called Noho's (and is excellent, and less than 20 blocks from my house!).

Yes, I went to the one in Corvallis all the time. I also went to the one near Portland once. I'm guessing Powell. I'll be in Salem in December. I will have to make the trip down to Corvallis. Thanks for posting.

Pages: 1 12 replies