Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Swag lamp .... ever seen one like this before ?

Pages: 1 8 replies

A buddy of mine found this lamp and I was wondering if anybody knows anything about it.
It is made out of a ceramic type material.I really need to go back and take a pic of
the back of lamp.There was a name or signature on the back.I have never seen anything
like it before, however it does have a uncanny resemblance to the Tiki Jhoes in Palm
Springs .Any info would be helpful.

Never thought about that Aloha Jhoes connection, hmm.... but I have seen these without that paint job, and always attributed them to a Mexican origin. Nevertheless a cool crossover item.

I immediately thought it resembled the duk-duk logo from Aloha Jhoes. It must be the bell shape. Pretty interesting piece.

these lamps are commonly called "jug lamps"....because they resemble jugs. they were common in the 60's and 70's i believe...i actually have one. they are considered more of a folk art item but they do lend themselves to the tiki look depending on the paint job....i saw apair on ebay not too long ago and occasionally they turn up at flea markets....

as for yours, it only bears ressemblance to aloha joes and is not actually from there....

here's a shot of mine.....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-11-18 19:16 ]

Thanks Tipsy- This one has a company name and a possible signature on the back.
I will have to look at it and take a picture to see if we can find out any more
on maker.

tiki or not tiki I love it.

I run an orphanage for swag lamps. I am running out of corners to light.

Tell me about it!

There are so many non-Tiki swags around that are cool, I have to control my trigger finger on e-bay.

There is a nice thread on resin lamps here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28929&forum=12&start=15

..maybe you can share some of your finds there.

Nice collection Sven...looks great at night.

I have the same lamp. Would like to know more about it. If it is in fact a jug lamp, there are markings on the back "Coast Originals" and "Bill Small - Pat Pen"

Pages: 1 8 replies