Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Moku heihei - Home Bar UK

Pages: 1 7 replies

Stage 1.

6m x 3m conservatory (approx 19' x 10').

The front of the conservatory is almost all glass with double sliding doors.
The side walls are approx 6' tall with obscured glass windows above (to meet planning requirements, 75% of the addition has to be glass/clear roof).

The rear wall was rendered/pebbledashed giving a very uneven surface, and a pain to fix electrics to then patch convincingly.
It was decided to remove the pebbledash, fix all electrics, then place a false stud wall over the top to give a more even suface to fix bamboo/matting to.

Three weekends of hard graft with a hammer and chisel made for a more manageable area.

The end walls have been painted a deep red (not white! LOL), as they will be covered with furniture/pictures/masks/stuff in general, so bamboo/matting would be wasted on them.

Lighting is a problem, since the roof is not set up for hanging lights from, so all lights will have to be fixed to the back wall.
The aim is to have several lights all fixed to the same switch, some surface mounted (bulkhead lights), some hanging from hooks (fishing floats, puffer fish) and a couple of small lamps stood on top of the side walls.
A dimmer swith has been installed to allow a much lower level of 'mood' lighting.

Speaker cables have also been installed at this point to 'hide' them as much as possible.

End walls:

Lower left back wall:

Upper left back wall:

Right, back wall:

Ooh, that's a challenging space to work with, which is great--I love to see things mixed up a bit. Looking forward to seeing how it develops. What does the space beyond those glass windows look like, do you have the ability to do some garden work out there to complement the indoor space?

The doors open out to a three foot drop at the moment, but there will be decking installed in the New Year, the garden is smallish - a wedge shape approx 20ft wide at it's widest, narrowing down to approx 10ft, with an approx length of 40ft.

The garden is going to be landscaped with raised beds filled with Tropicals, hardy Palms and quite a few 'Tiki' touches...

Lookin good. Be sure to keep posting photos.

Most excellent start. I really like the roof. Must sound great in the rain. The bar is opposite the door? You couldn't hang lights from the rafters and run cord(s) down he wall? Great furniture.

[ Edited by: Tuna Tiki 2009-11-22 10:06 ]

Unfortunately there are no rafters as such - the roof is self supporting, and because of this nothing can be fastened in to it, as it would alter the loads on it.

It sounds fantastic when it rains - the lightest drizzle sounds like a tropical rain storm beating down.

Any suggestions for ways of creating wall mounted hanging brackets for float / puffer fish lamps would be greatly appreciated.

The bar will be in the left hand corner of picture #1

[ Edited by: Pikeys Dog 2009-11-22 12:08 ]

You could always add some real beams for hanging things from. Use vertical beams (4x4) to support a horizontal beam (4x4, 4x6, whatever). Two or three shouldn't be that hard to erect, and gives another surface for decorating or carving.

very cool space to work with... look forward to seeing the transformation!
clearly you're going to have be creative with hanging lights, but it will look awesome when you figure it out...lots of windows to reflect back at night.
also, i like that vintage bamboo cabinet. i have almost the exact match that i found at a yard sale years ago. i used it to display my skull mugs.
best of luck!

Pages: 1 7 replies