Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

John Cage live

Pages: 1 4 replies

TM

Loving this, Lucas! Classic...

TM

Glad you liked it, Kiki!

It's funny, but for all the joking around they are doing on this clip, John Cage actually has a sense of humor about it. Is it performance art? Sometimes these avante garde musicians can cross that barrier. He has one clip where he sits at the piano and does nothing for exactly 4 minutes, 33 seconds. But, I have some recordings of his that are really good. Playing what he calls a "prepared" piano, (he inserts screws and nuts and bolts, erasers, rubber bands, etc in between the strings of the piano) he is able to somehow duplicate the sound of Gamelons, marimbas and other exotic instruments, even conga drums! it sounds crazy, but it actually works and the notes played are real music, not just random sounds.

John Cage is simply a genius. Avant Garde or Expiremental or whatever you want to call it, it was pushing the envelope and inpired an awful lot of music that came after. Same with Brian Eno. I loved it when he improvised and pushed the radios over. I never poke around on youtube, so it's nice when someone else finds it and points it out. :)

TM

When your right, your right!

There would probably be no Eno or Fripp without the likes of Cage, Messiaen, Varese and Stockhausen!

Pages: 1 4 replies