Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Maori head carving

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

B

Somehow I missed this guy and I Really like him too. What size is he Vic?

man!!!!! that is sweeeeeettttt!!!!! whats the wood? cheerz!

T

Hey Benz!!!....thanks!...He's about 10 inches tall - not really carved from anything special, just some hard maple and stained. Currently working on a New Guinea Ancestor style mask...will post when finished......see ya, V

PS.....everyone privileged to see my Maori carving is astonished!!!! Thanks again!

P

nice. i wouldn't have guessed it was maori, though unless you pointed it out. it takes a little to see the moko. i thought of a noh mask when i saw it. maybe it's the lighting in the picture. well, maybe it's the horns (i'm sure they're hair rolls) and pointiness of it. i'm not trying to be negative, just giving my observations. the carving is great. the expressionism and depth conveys a lot of emotion through the wood. that was always the point of maori carving and also noh carvings.

you should post another pic against more contrasting background, i think that would show off your work better.

T

Pdrake.....I agree with you...the "hair rolls" came out kind of funky, I'm thinking of just removing them when I carve another one like it......thanks.

Pages: 1 5 replies